Default Triton Workcentre dust collector box

I was getting fed up of cleaning up after using the Triton work-centre that I decided to make a dust enclosure for it.
    I'm sure I've seen one in this forum before but couldn't find it so made up my own.

Basically it's an box that encloses the saw with a base to which is fitted a dust chute.

I made it out of 6mm MDF because I had some available but 3mm may have been a better fit, I did have to do some planing to get the top of the box to fit between the saw carriage and the rails. The length (or depth?) of the box is such that the lower base plate (12mm MDF) has about 10 mm clearance to allow the to parts to be slid together. Wedges fit against the lower, yellow rail and force the base into tight contact with the box. This keeps the box in place and makes a (nearly) air tight seal

Not a perfect solution but surprisingly effective. A quick test with MDF shows most f the dust being drawn down from above the table, especially when the blade guard is fitted. Cutting pine leaves larger chips on the table but the finer dust is removed.

I'll probably not get a lot of use out of it now as I just went and picked up a second hand table saw
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    . . . . I made it out of 6mm MDF because I had some available but 3mm mave have been a better fit, I did have to do some planing to get the top of the box to fit between the saw carriage and the rails. The length (or depth?) of the box is such that the lower base plate (12mm MDF) has about 10 mm clearance to allow the to parts to be slid together. Wedges fit against the lower, yellow rail and force the base into tight contact with the box. This keeps the box in place and makes a (nearly) air tight seal
    The last thing you want is an air tight seal as a standard throat plate does not allow anywhere near enough air to flow into the chamber under the saw to carry away the fine dust. It's actually better to have a 10+ mm gap all the way around to let the chamber breathe. It's also better to use 6" ducting but perhaps I have said that often enough

The airtight seal is between the base plate and the box only. The top of the box doesn't seal at all.

I'm confused. Could you show a pic with the saw in situ with the tabletop off?
    Thanks

I'll take some more photos tomorrow to show how it all goes together.

EDIT: As promised, more photos.

view from side showing box in place.
    close up of saw slide showing (rough!) fit of box.
    view from front showing inside of box
    dust chute from side
    dust chute from above. The base plate is sized to fit between the lower (yellow) rails on the Triton. It's slides under the box once the saw has been positioned.
    Another view inside the box.

There's nothing holding the box to the saw slide, the base plate when it's lifted a few millimetres holds it in place. Some clipts to hold it there while assembling may be a good idea asthe box can slip down before the bottom plate is slid across.

Last photo is my new table saw that will replace the Triton. Needs a good clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Were you previously using the Triton dust bag? If so, does this do a better job?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrism3 View Post
    Were you previously using the Triton dust bag? If so, does this do a better job?
    I can vouch that while the Triton dust bag is pretty good, it is nothing by comparison, to a good box underneath with some suction.

This is what I built and interestingly I have been thinking of adding a dust chute like here to aid in dust removal. With my own set-up I have to periodically take the top off and clean out the three corners where there is no suction hose in.

This is my set-up and there is an interesting bit of information from Triton Japan (a member here) with regard to dust bags and why Triton went with bags instead of something else.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f15/dust-box-triton-bench-173067

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Chrism3 View Post
    I haven't used the Triton dust bag. When I lived in Sydney, space meant I had to use the saw on the back lawn so dust wasn't an issue (except perhaps for the neighbours). Now I cut in the shed, dust gets everywhere hence the need for some sort of extraction.
    A few cuts today confirms it's working acceptably. Opening up the box shows minimal dust inside.

Sad thing is now I've got a table saw, I wont need the Triton much, if at all. Of course the table saw is an contractors style saw so I'll need to come up with a dust box for it.