Default Wanted: Someone to Refurbish Old Hand Plane

plane.jpg

Hi all,

Am looking for someone to refurbish my grandfather's old hand plane and make it usable once more.

Looks to be a no 5 based on the lettering on the toe but there is not much else in terms of identification. I'll be aiming to put a Hock blade in after the fact, which I can do myself, but need someone to source a few key parts, namely the front handle and a replacement rod thing that runs up the rear handle (which is also cracked and needs replacing). Ideally I'd also like the sole flattened and rust removed.

If anyone is interested or can point me in the right direction, please PM me.

Many thanks in advance,
    Michael

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

What suburb are you in, and how much do you want to do yourself?

You could eg get it started with the rust removal ... vinegar bath eg.

Cheers,
    Paul

Michael, from the tone of your post, I get the impression you want to use this plane yourself, in which case, wouldn't grandpa be more pleased f you also refurbished it? It really isn't all that difficult to get a plane looking reasonably loved and working pretty well, and the lessons that may be learned along the way are invaluable. There is an active old tools group in your city, & I'm sure some of the addicts members would be willing to help. The worst part will be cleaning up the rust, but as Paul says, a dose or two of your choice of mild acid, a wire brush & some elbow grease will do a good job. The sole will be out of flat to some extent, no plane that leaves a factory is perfect, but it is probably sufficient unto the task it's meant to do. Perfectly flat soles are a theoretical ideal, and by all means aim for the best you can do, but it may take a while. One of my favourite planes needs some attention to its sole - it's been needing it for more than 20 years, now, & I may get around to it before I become too decrepit to hobble to the shed but it works well enough as is, so don't hold your breath!

Parts for old Stanleys may be obtained here, among others.

However, this advice comes with a warning - refurbishing old tools is highly dangerous, many have become addicted after a single exposure! .....

Cheers & good luck,
    IW

Well... you're right! 100% right! I should do it myself but am not sure how to get started. I'm happy to tackle the plane body (rust and flattening) but really don't know where to start--in particular with identifying this plane to a point where I can source replacement parts that will mate correctly.

IanW, in terms of active old tools group in Perth, are you referring to the Hand Tool Preservation Society? Know of any others off hand or would this be the place to start? I've seen them at the Perth wood show over the years.

Paul, I'm in the Scarborough area.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    ....wouldn't grandpa be more pleased f you also refurbished it?
    Too right!

Michael, if you want to "own" the plane, then it has to be your refurbishment - it quite simply would nor be worth the cost of getting someone to do it for you - you could buy a pre WW2 cracker for half or less of the cost. As Ian says it will teach you a great deal about the plane which is invaluable for tuning it, and the others that will soon be on your bench....
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

There's a Best-of-the-Best thread on the forums ... and that re-led me back to this from Major Panic ...

It kinda defines the 'full monty' approach ... you can get to a workable plane with less attention to detail than depicted in the thread.

Also there are many other options for rust removal, equipment available, etc.
    I'm not sure it shows lapping the sole, but there have been plenty of words written on that ... and videos online.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/hand-plane-restoration-pictorial-pt-1-a-29549

Cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by michhes View Post
    .....I should do it myself but am not sure how to get started. I'm happy to tackle the plane body (rust and flattening) but really don't know where to start--in particular with identifying this plane to a point where I can source replacement parts that will mate correctly.
    Michael, it looks like a bog standard model, and the studs & things like studs & rear handles for Stanleys didn't vary much over a looong time, do you can be pretty confident the parts from Jim Davey will fit what you need - just remember to get the handles for the correct size, because 5s and up have a screw through the toe of the rear handle (often referred to as the 'tote'), 4's & smaller have an indent that matches a pimple cast on the sole, to stop the handle twisting in use.

Quote Originally Posted by michhes View Post
    ....are you referring to the Hand Tool Preservation Society? Know of any others off hand or would this be the place to start? I've seen them at the Perth wood show over the years..
    Yes, I meant the HTPA - there seems to be some pretty helpful blokes in that group, from their posts on the Forum, and most would be able to give you useful advice, I'm sure. I live on the other side of the island, & don't know your city at all, but Paul is a local, & can tell you who's who & what's what, I imagine.....

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find it much easier than you think, once you plunge in. Remember, it won't take much to get it useable, so no need to go hog-wild at this stage. If you become a keen woodworker, as time goes by, you'll learn more & more and be able to fettle the old plane better & better. That's how it's worked for most of us....

Cheers,
    IW

this might help. It is not difficult to make.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/html/16j4010k.pdf

Cheers

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

G'day Michael,
    I didn't think I'd ever see the day that I was contributing to a thread about planes, but the fact is I've got two. Both were basket cases when I bought them, one still is but the other is now a going concern. This forum was the source of all the information required to get it to where it would work how it is supposed to.
    I am one of the addicts in the HTPS WA referred to by Ian, the next meeting is on 5th of March and I can easily ask other members..err.. addicts if anyone could give you a hand with it. You're quite welcome to come along with your plane on the night if you want to.

Cheers,
    Geoff.

Doug--what a great resource, thanks for sharing!! I love shaping wood so definitely something I'm game to tackle. I had a quick look at some of the second hand handle sets for sale and was surprised they sell for upwards of $100.

Geoff--thank you for the HTPS info, sounds dangerous but I shall aim to be there ) Do they sell bits and bobs at the regular monthly meetings too?

Thanks,
    Michael

Hi Michael,

From time to time there is an auction of old tools and rust after the meeting, though I don't know if there is anything planned for this coming one.

Coming up on 15 Feb' is the Northam swap meet, which is well worth a visit.

The HTPS WA also have a tool sale at Washer St, East Victoria park, date yet to be decided, but usually in early April.

Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Last edited by Boringgeoff; 24th January 2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add more valuable info.

Quote Originally Posted by Boringgeoff View Post
    I didn't think I'd ever see the day that I was contributing to a thread about planes...
    I didn't think I'd see that day either Geoff Welcome aboard.

Cheers, Vann.
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    I didn't think I'd see that day either Geoff Welcome aboard.

Cheers, Vann.
    Well, maybe a leopard can't change its spots, but you can paint 'em over......

IW

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Well, maybe a leopard can't change its spots, but you can paint 'em over......

Or wear a sheep suit...................