Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Replacing i-beams to extend Irwin XP600 clamps

I picked up a couple of the shorter XP600s (aka Quick Grip Pros) on special at the big green shed and found them to be really good, no comparison to the lesser models. But of course my last job required a larger size.

The big 1270mm ones are about $62ea vs $20ea for the 300mm jobies on special but the only difference is the length of the bar. That's almost $40/lineal metre for some steel bar!

This for me thinking: has anyone tried to source steel in the correct profile to replace the bars? I dug around and found this review which details the sizing:
    The XP600 has a 5/16" x 7/8" heat treated black oxide carbon steel I-Beam that helps to minimize twisting or bowing.
    What do you reckon my chances are?
    Michael

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Really? Buckleys.

All the various permutations of the Quick Grip clamps use specially extruded or rolled bars, they are not simple off the shelf shapes. So you would have to source the right alloy bar - OK, probably just something that can be hardened - then get it machined to shape - those pesky 'I' beams shapes, the old ones were oval-ish. After that you take it to an other plant to get it hardened and then phosphated and blued. $40 a metre after all that is chicken feed, $400+ is more likely for someone just wanting a couple of metres.

The $40/lineal was in reference to the price difference between the 12" and 50" clamps, not the true nature of the product or the cost for someone to get a few meters done. I was hoping to find the exact profile off the shelf, not have it made. Indeed it would be silly of Irwin to use something readily available for this very reason.

Thanks for your input anyway, I just wanted to float the idea out there so that others could tell me to stop being silly/stingy. =D
    Michael