Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 3 phase to single phase

Hi everyone. I am being offered a 3phase jointer/planer for what seems a fair price. No probs there. The problem I have is I only have single phase on at home and do not want to go to the expense of buying a converter.

Does anyone out there know if I can simply remove the 415v motor and install a 240v motor of equal hp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....Daryl.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You would also have to change any switches and wiring.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

Swapping the motor may not be as easy as it sounds.
    The pulleys/shafts/mounting bolt location may also have to be modified to suit.
    By the time you add all this, the switchgear, and and the replacement motor it may come close to the cost of a converter and be a lot more work.

Pull the motor off and take it to a motor reconditioner as they generally have used stuff. I just did one and it bolted straight on and don't forget to ask for a switch suitable for single phase.
    CHRIS

Default Thank you

Thanks gentlemen. All of you gave me very good advise and I will take it on board. Thanks again.
    Daryl.

VFD Converters are not expensive.

I purchased my 2 HP converter for my 3 phase bandsaw and jointer for $240, less than you'd pay for a decent new motor. They've gone up now, perhaps around $300.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2KW-3HP...item3f3d1fd412

Easy to install and i've never had any issues.

You can also purchase converters that run off a motor, but these are very expensive, around $3K to $4K per unit.

Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenManos View Post
    VFD Converters are not expensive.

I purchased my 2 HP converter for my 3 phase bandsaw and jointer for $240, less than you'd pay for a decent new motor. They've gone up now, perhaps around $300.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2KW-3HP...item3f3d1fd412

Easy to install and i've never had any issues. . . . . . .
    I'd be a bit wary about telling anyone they are "easy to instal" without knowing the electrical background of the individual concerned.

To start with the motor has to be suitable and if not it requires additional knowledge and skill, or the motor has to be taken to a rewinder which tends to blow the budget out further.

While VFDs are easy to instal for folks that know what they are doing, I know a sparky that won't touch them and one who will only deal with certain brands that he knows about. The latter is understandable as he gets requests to installed all sorts of VFDs (used, damaged, no manual etc) and he has to take time to learn how to program them.

If the person is not comfortable about working with mains V they should not be encouraged to do so. then if their motor needs conversion and they need to get a sparky to do the installation then it will definitely cost much more than a new single phase motor.