Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triton routers

Default Triton routers

Hi all,

I'm about to delve into the world of routers and I'm after some advice as to which router to buy. I will be using the router handheld at this stage though I am open to table mounting in the future - far in the future. But basically I'm after a handheld router.

I'm liking the look of Tritons but am torn between the 1010W JOF001 or the 1400W MOF001. My main issue is whether I should go for the lighter JOF001 to learn the ropes on? Or go for the MOF001 for the more power and wider range of applications I may want in the future?

I am open other brands but I've noticed the good reviews for the Tritons.

Any advice?

Cheers,
    Justin

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I too am about to get a couple of routers, im gonna get the TRA001 and mount it the table, I could use handheld, but most of my handheld work is simple roundovers, I dont need 3hp for that. So for my handheld work, ill get the medium one, MOF001, its not so heavy, and since I rarely run on top rpm a little bit of extra power is a nice thing.

I also have a 1100watt black n decker that I won during my apprenticeship. Ill keep that setup with a 3mm roundover bit just for knocking the edges off tabletops......until I bother to get a trimmer.

I decided to get the tritons given the pricepoint and the ability to mount in table and be able raise/lower the cutter head above the table without an expensive routerlift.

G'day
    I recently had the same choice and decision
    I got the midsize MOF model Its not too heavy to use hand held and has enough power mounted under the bench
    At first I only used it hand held but since making a table mount it is mostly used there
    I got it for $299 in August
    I am not sure if I can name the place I got it on this forum

but I reckon moderators can amend post if neccessary

I found best deal was from Plastering Supplies
    and a quick check confirms they again have them at that price

Garry

Thanks for the advice fellas...I've opted for the midrange MOF model.

Cheers,
    Justin

Unhappy Triton Router and a problem.

About 2 years ago I had a problem with my Triton Router, I am not a heavy user at all but all of a sudden 'she no switch on' .... the warranty ran out a couple of months earlier of course. However Carbotec in Auckland were excelllent and had a look at it and they supplied the new armature and I paid the Labour and freight. Can't grumble at that only offer great and thankful praise.

Imagine my dismay when the other week the router faultered and caused me to freight it up to Carbotec who passed it on to their independent repair shop. Same again armature and brushes burnt out.

The job I was doing was in Macrocarpa which is a fairly soft wood on which I was rounding the edges. The peice is a handle for an old British hand sowing machine and its like a very long 'Hockey Stick'. Rounding the end was cross grain and the router grabbed and threw away from the wood. It didnt actually stall but I guess that was the moment that everything went wrong. Now it occurs to me why has the Triton not got overload protection as this seems to be a weak point, both times the router didnt actually stop or slow down and this time it was a kickback in freehand.

Repairs will be NZ$280 plus freight another NZ$60 ..... question is why has this happened and, do I want it repaired only to experience it again. I have done some checking up on specifications on other makes of comparable size ... none have overload protection except one ... the Metabo.

Surely routers in general dont burn out unless they are badly abused hence no overload protection?

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone else know of Routers with overload protection other than Metabo.... I rang Hitachi and Makita both admitted their machines do not have overload protection.

Is this a weakness with just Tritons?

David

They dont have overload protection, neither does it slow down when heavily loaded. Its one of the features. It has a soft start electronically controlled speed maintenance thingo. That makes sure that when u want 20,000 rpm, it increases the power to the motor to maintain that speedthru knots and curly grain, so in fact, when it grabbed the timber, it would been under immense load and actually pumped more power into the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuffy View Post
    They dont have overload protection, neither does it slow down when heavily loaded. Its one of the features. It has a soft start electronically controlled speed maintenance thingo. That makes sure that when u want 20,000 rpm, it increases the power to the motor to maintain that speedthru knots and curly grain, so in fact, when it grabbed the timber, it would been under immense load and actually pumped more power into the motor.
    Very interesting and food for thought Kuffy. So I wonder how many routers have suffered a similar fate to mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuffy View Post
    Kuffy .... having slept on your answer it would seem then that they and others like it are made to burn out because they don't have an overload protection circuit. I have also delved into the Metabo Router which does have an overload protection and that feature is listed not only in their router but also other toold they make. With my experience and your explanation Kuffy I reckon that makes good sense.

Does anyone else have anything to add please.?

David

Hi all, just my 2 cents worth. I have done power tool repairs for a job, this does not make me an expert but one one who has seen a lot of tools with vary differnent modes of care ( from none to have you used this thing ? )
    I commerisate on the issue with the triton ( especially as I Have recently purchased one), it is possible to tell the cause of the problem by close inspection of the commutator ( the bit the brushes run on) it is very easy to over look this investigation when a tool goes to the repairer and you find the windings on the armature are burnt, ( easy fix replace bit that's burnt)
    the cause may be the field winding, ( it could have a shorted turn etc) which does not show up easily but affects the magnetic field induced into the armature and the armature gets a bit hot and fails over time.
    so this is where it is usually better to get a so called professional to assess the tool and find the root cause of the failure and let the customer know why it failed
    I hope the original repair was warranted, and again my commiserations on the failure.
    BTW I have three other routers that have done a lot on work including running a 35 mm bit cutting trenches in the top and bottom plates of hard wood for a building extension and had no trouble with any of them. I personally think and over load device would cause more issues than it solves. It would need to be a fairly sensitive electronic device to act quickly enough to prevent damage and this would add to the cost of the unit.
    A final word just a little piece of advice...... If you do find that you're power tool is hot from heavy work please don't switch it off and set it down , the internal temperature will continue to rise and possibly do more damage, instead let the tool run under NO load conditions and let the cooling fan do it's job. Feel the air coming out of the tool exhaust and when it starts to feel cooler it should be safe to turn the tool off.

Default Triton MOF001 armature problem ... the end for me.

Thank you everyone for your input over the second armature failure on my Triton MOF001. I have spent about 3 hours going through this website on the problem and have come to the conclusion that the "Modern" Triton router is not of the same quality as the original maker. Mine is basically a trifle under 4 years old. The first armature replacement was a couple of months after the warranty ran out, perhaps 5 hours work in theat year. This replacement has lasted for about a similar number of hours ... I am not a heavy user at all.

The most useful thread was that which mentions the sequence of manufacturing. That those with the "Original" Tritons have had good use whereas the MOF001 and subsequent routers produced after the original maker sold out have had chequered careers.

I cannot afford to have the Triton MOF001 repaired and so have had it returned to me .... it will sit and cough up parts to enable the next router I buy to fit the Triton router table.

Currently I am trying to find a Hitachi TR12 made in Japan ..... there are a number of little used items out there and for what I do will suffice ... I may well buy two ...one for under the table and another for free hand. NZ$200 will buy the two and still be cheaper than repairing the Triton.

Would I have a Triton tool repaired again No ..... would I buy another Triton tool .... No.... I couldn't trust them.

David .....

The hitachi TR12 whilst basic is just that, no fancy stuff to go wrong and a very sturdy, trust worthy machine. I have two of these, one I purchased brand new in the early eighties and the second one acquired from Nsw forestry, they used it for almost any thing including sign making. It has had a hard life but still performed well. It has been to power tool hospital for a set of bearings but that's about it.
    As said before sorry to hear about the Trition , I thought they would be better than that.
    Hope you find the TR 12' s and then happy route ring.

Default Triton MOF001 v Hitachi TR 12

Quote Originally Posted by dinosour View Post
    The hitachi TR12 whilst basic is just that, no fancy stuff to go wrong and a very sturdy, trust worthy machine. I have two of these, one I purchased brand new in the early eighties and the second one acquired from Nsw forestry, they used it for almost any thing including sign making. It has had a hard life but still performed well. It has been to power tool hospital for a set of bearings but that's about it.
    As said before sorry to hear about the Trition , I thought they would be better than that.
    Hope you find the TR 12' s and then happy route ring.
    Thanks Dinosour .... The Triton has returned in its box and that is where it will stay I guess, a very sad expensive saga. Total sum of about NZ$600 for lets say around 2 hrs plus a bit work... and defunct. Lucky all those who bought the original 'brew'. I must admit to being somewhat dazed that having been very careful about the purchase in the first place I didnt read further just a wee bit more and maybe discover a few more worrying points. On reflection I do not think that would have swayed my choice. The previous wee Ryobi Router did as much work as the Triton and never missed a beat ... a mate of mine has it now..... and the Triton was supposed to have had twice the Ooomph!

Oh well I hope by the end of the week to have a Japanese made Hitachi TR12 to sit alongside my Hitachi drill of 1976 vintage ... never ever missed a beat.

David

If you manage to get a hold of a TR12 and fit it with a Router Raizer, you will be able to do above table tool changes. You might need to heat and bend the spanners slightly but it works. Mine is fitted in an Incra plate with a quick release cam lock. Sometimes I leave the plate on and remove the whole lot to do quick jobs handheld. I just had to drill a hole in the plate to allow the height winder access.

My TR12 is just about to have it's 32nd birthday and it still runs like the day I bought it. It's done a ridiculous amount of work over the years and if it failed tomorrow, I'd have got many times the initial investment back.

I almost bought a TRA01 to put in the table but, I'm kinda glad I didn't after hearing about so many Triton failures.

Default Triton MOF001 v Hitachi TR12

Quote Originally Posted by maggs View Post
    If you manage to get a hold of a TR12 and fit it with a Router Raizer, you will be able to do above table tool changes. You might need to heat and bend the spanners slightly but it works. Mine is fitted in an Incra plate with a quick release cam lock. Sometimes I leave the plate on and remove the whole lot to do quick jobs handheld. I just had to drill a hole in the plate to allow the height winder access.

My TR12 is just about to have it's 32nd birthday and it still runs like the day I bought it. It's done a ridiculous amount of work over the years and if it failed tomorrow, I'd have got many times the initial investment back.

I almost bought a TRA01 to put in the table but, I'm kinda glad I didn't after hearing about so many Triton failures.
    maggs ... any chance of a couple of photos of your fitout? That would be extra wonderful. I also want to modify the locks holding the plate into the Triton table as I have not been too happy about their security. having said that there has been no trouble and the centering wasnt too bad.

Here's the photo's of my TR12 with Router Raizer and Incra plate fitted. When the Raizer is fitted you can leave the lift springs installed. Height adjustment is both above or below table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast