Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Social Woodworking

Any suggestions on social woodworking other than Men's Sheds???

My local Men's Shed is Morrisons, after some investigation they are a nice bunch of old blokes however they do more "community" based wood working and handy man work. By this I mean they will make railway sleeper benches for the local schools etc for a small fee. Not really fine woodwork, cabinetry, boxes, carving, turning etc as the one in Templestowe did.

Nothing wrong with either approach but Morrisons doesn't suit what I'm looking for.

So I am looking for other ideas as I am here alone from 6:30am-7:30pm weekdays and I don't know anyone local and would love a bit of company. The dog decided he isn't a shopdog he sticks his head in the door to make sure I'm still there and goes to sleep in the garden. As a result I find I don't spend as much timeout in the shed being productive despite having heaps that needs doing and a long list of projects. It's always good to have someone to bounce ideas off.

I'm just on the edge of Lilydale so something local to go to or any locals that are interested in regular visits here.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

What about a woodworking club? Eltham and Doncaster have very good and active clubs and I see that there is a Knox & District club website.
    Cheers, Glen

Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    My local Men's Shed is Morrisons, after some investigation they are a nice bunch of old blokes however they do more "community" based wood working and handy man work. By this I mean they will make railway sleeper benches for the local schools etc for a small fee. Not really fine woodwork, cabinetry, boxes, carving, turning etc as the one in Templestowe did.

Nothing wrong with either approach but Morrisons doesn't suit what I'm looking for.
    maybe they're just waiting for someone like you to come along and inspire them down the "path"
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

I would second the club idea.
    Especially even its just for the social aspect.

I agree with the Club idea, as you'll make friends there, and before long they'll be around to see what mischief you are up to, drop in for a coffee, or similar. I have some, that drive 30 kms to drop in for a 5 minute chat.
    Kryn