Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    I think in the end I'll find a way to build the 5 cent piece into the Harley after the engine is finished.
    Seems fitting that it should become part of the bike.
    How will "The" Coke can be added to the Indian then? Not very time appropriate though, but then neither is a 5 cent piece for a pre 1966 Harley.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think that thumb screw you found should work pretty well for the compression release if only you can find another one to match it. Apparently the picture I posted didn't survive the cleaner who fixed my stupid double post error.

Many thanks to the repair man or woman who took care of that.

Just as a precaution, here is the picture of those releases that I had posted yesterday but seem to have gone missing now...

Comp-release.png

Meanwhile:

The engine is really looking great, and the details in the carb are fantastic! I can almost hear that thing loping just before the roar!
    He who blesses his neighbor in a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted as cursing!
    Videos I have made. Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52/videos

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by CAG View Post
    How will "The" Coke can be added to the Indian then? Not very time appropriate though, but then neither is a 5 cent piece for a pre 1966 Harley.
    How about a zac or old sixpence......

"The" Coke can is a little special you don't often find one litre cans with 375ml written on the side of them.
    I think the use of a credit card in the Indian was a pretty stellar example of "Not very time appropriate"!.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie52 View Post
    I think that thumb screw you found should work pretty well for the compression release if only you can find another one to match it.
    The engine is really looking great, and the details in the carb are fantastic! I can almost hear that thing loping just before the roar!
    If I cant find a thumb screw that matches the one I have the worst case scenario is that I make a mould of it.
    Really glad you like the carbie!.

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Sixpence I know, Zac I've heard of but don't know how much it was?.

Slow work on the Harley today but I did get a little more done on the second of the rocker arms.
    I got court up in the detailing of the first "Go Figure".

Cheers Guy's
    Trev.

Default 2 Bob each way

Sixpence I know, Zac I've heard of but don't know how much it was?.
    Ah, seems you aren't old enough.
    A Zac is worth half a Deena, also known as a 'Bob' or 2 Trays
    or a quarter of 2 Bob's, (which were also called Florins).
    There were 20 Zacs to 'Half a Note', and therefore 40 Zacs to a 'Note', which was more commonly called a 'Quid'.

A bit before my time, there were 'Crowns' and 'Half Crowns', which I am fairly sure were worth 5 and 10 Zac's respectively.

Now, translating the above, A Zac is another name for 'Sixpence', now called 5 cents, a 'Tray' or 'Tray Bit' is another name for 'ThreePence' (Usually pronounced 'thruppence', (no decimal equivalent) and a 'Bob' is another name for a 'Shilling', now 10 Cents.
    A 2 'Bob' coin was 2 Shillings, now 20 Cents. A 'Florin seemed to be the same as a 2 Shilling coin, but with a different design on the 'tail' side.

A 'Note' was a Pound, worth 2 Dollars now, and 'Half a Note' was worth 10 Shillings, now worth 1 Dollar.
    'Crowns' were worth 5 Shillings (50 Cents), and half Crowns were worth '2 and 6', meaning 2 Shillings and Sixpence.

A 'Fiver' and 'Tenner' were 5 and 10 Pound notes, but as a little kid back in the Fifties and early Sixties, I didn't see too many of those!

Anyway, enough of the education lesson on our old monetary system, you should get back to restoring the Harley, which I and so many others are enjoying the journey.

Alan...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Al View Post

A 'Note' was a Pound, worth 2 Dollars now, and 'Half a Note' was worth 10 Shillings, now worth 1 Dollar.
    'Crowns' were worth 5 Shillings (50 Cents), and half Crowns were worth '2 and 6', meaning 2 Shillings and Sixpence.
    ....and the pound was often known as a 'quid' but then there were 'guineas' which was 1 pound and 1 shilling and seemed to be used exclusively in the horse (racing?) world where horses were bought and sold for guineas possibly because the horse trader kept the bob and the owner got the quid?
    At the lower end was the halfpenny (pronounced haypenny) and, even before that, the farthing which was half-a-haypenny .....
    The old days weren't necessarily the "good ol' days" but they were certainly more colourful when it came to language!
    Before NATIONAL television, different states had different names for many things including currency but, in very short order, TV unfortunately 'unified' many city and state words and then INTERNATIONAL TV killed much of that off as well!
    Thankfully some localised words remain but usually only where there isn't an international replacement, "cossies", "swimmers" and "trunks" remain regional as do sizes of beer ....thank heavens!

As for "CLAMPS" vs "CRAMPS" .... I have no bl**dy idea!

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

To Crowie, Uncle Al and Repliconics,

As stated by Alan, a zac is a sixpence. I looked for one in my old coin collection from the same era as the Harley but no old ones to speak of. Anyway, by handling them on a daily basis, we all know the size of the 5 cent piece. If someone has one, a 1920's zac could adorn the top of the fuel tank cap or the forks (do they call them headstocks like on pushbikes?)

An undersized Coke can (of, um... 2/3 scale, perhaps) would be good though.

Ye olde credit card isn't recognisable anymore, being cut up and inside the bike! Still the best use for one, unless your credit card limit is high enough to purchase a surviving George to take accurate measurements from for the next new-build.

Craig

Well that all leaves me in my normal state "Dazed & Confused"!.
    But I do like the lingo.
    You still seem to get a little in the way of different ways of saying things from state to state.
    In Queensland and some parts of NSW potato cakes are called scallops.
    Which is really odd because scallops and a type of clam or muscle.
    Again in Qld you can't buy a Melways it's a Referdex!, and they don't have luggage they have port.
    My fav's down in Tasmania for some reason they don't have Creeks like all the rest they prefer Riverlets.
    And if you wont a toasted sandwich at a takeaway you must know how many corners you'd like it ta have.
    Being slices of bread I would've thought "Four" was a good number!.

Cheers
    Trev.

If someone has one, a 1920's zac could adorn the top of the fuel tank cap or the forks (do they call them headstocks like on pushbikes?)

Craig
    Hey CAG the headstock on a bicycle holds the handlebars to the throat.
    Were as on a motorcycle (as specially the older ones) the handlebars where connected to the triple tree (which where originally called the triple clamp).
    It got the name because it holds the headstock and the two front forks.
    Like the pre-decimal system it's just all so easy!

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Again in Qld you can't buy a Melways it's a Referdex!
    That's because Melways are for use in Melbourne. I've seen a Sydway and a Brisway but not a Referdex.

I know the 'triple tree' but I've never heard of the term before; more my lack of experience in stripping down motorbikes than a regional difference though methinks.

Refidex.jpg

Regards

Keith

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Refidex.jpg

Regards

Keith
    Keith, I was born & bred in god's own country "Queensland"..... ..... it's always been a "Referdex" to the locals and I'm of the opinion its stands for "Reference Directory for Streets" ..... ...... The UBD people bought most of the local state based map books and then tried to standardize them..... .....

I came across Melways in Melbourne in about 1974 when my ship was in Williamstown drydock.... Peter

I reckon over the last few days I could've used one of your old Referdex's Peter to help me find my way past these rockers!.
    But in the end I finally got then done.
    I found some pictures of the oilers that where on top of them, and thanks to the fletty collection of "really small stuff" had no real trouble
    making something that looks the part.

When the engines the next best thing to finished I'll paint the rockers in nickel.
    There's not much point doing it at the moment they'd only get scuffed up.

I'll either do the pushrod covers or the sparkplugs next.
    I've seen quite a few pictures of the Harley's running Splitdorf plugs the same as the ones I made for the Indian.
    So I'll go with those I think their a good look!

Cheers
    Trev.

Keith, I was born & bred in god's own country "Queensland"..... ..... it's always been a "Referdex" to the locals and I'm of the opinion its stands for "Reference Directory for Streets" ..... ...... The UBD people bought most of the local state based map books and then tried to standardize them..... .....

I came across Melways in Melbourne in about 1974 when my ship was in Williamstown drydock.... Peter
    Crowie,

I agree with you

The Referdix is in Gold writing below UBD. Agree Queensland is beautiful.

Regards

Keith

Refidex2.jpg

Trevor,

Your work is truly magnificent and your photographs are great - such detail and always in focus.

Great Stuff

Keith