Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    I really do enjoy finding out about the detail and history of whatever it is I'm building.
    The web does have a lot of great material on it.
    Although I'd have to say I get quite frustrated with backyard experts, and a general lack of quality information.
    The Brough is a good case in point.
    Lots of good general information but you need to keep wading through it to find the serious stuff!.

The internet really needs a cut the rubbish button!!!!!

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Yes,

For me -

The Lion Restoration Committee are fantastic. Lucky to have them as a good resource. Derek's close proximity has been invaluable.

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

I must admire you blokes who are about to search out history, facts and figures as it certainly adds a whole lot of depth to the detail you add to these beautiful creations; especially you Trevor........cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    I must admire you blokes who are about to search out history, facts and figures as it certainly adds a whole lot of depth to the detail you add to these beautiful creations; especially you Trevor........cheers, Peter
    Thanks Peter really appreciate that!.

I got the chrome paint on the rear cylinder and the studs back in place today.
    I did a little more to the carbie as well as repairing some damage to the ram tube.

I'm really happy with the way things are going, my son was having a good look at the engine today and thought it was a big
    improvement on the way it was!.
    Usually he only tells me what I've done wrong.

Cheers
    Trev.

Thumbs up

Bloody amazing!!!

Nice job on the carb Trev, and those are a great pair of jugs! I asked a friend who is really into Harleys and he tells me that the screws were one of those things that only the original engineers and authorized mechanics knew the purpose of. Since those guys are all dead by now, their purpose is anyone's guess.

I figure we'll have to ask someone who owns a real one to see what happens when they are twisted.

On the subject of that car from the movie, I've made the trip down to Miami many many times during my truck driving days. I've even driven past that museum several times but never had the time to stop in and tour the place. When I saw the movie, I did not know that they had more than one car. It brings a small piece of happiness to an old man's heart to know that the original is still around unlike the original Austin Martin from the James Bond movies.
    He who blesses his neighbor in a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted as cursing!
    Videos I have made. Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52/videos

Looking great. Now i have a challenge. .... .to find some information about the bike you don't have. Don't think that will happen in a hurry

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Bloody amazing!!!
    Thanks very much glad you like it!.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie52 View Post
    Nice job on the carb Trev, and those are a great pair of jugs! I asked a friend who is really into Harleys and he tells me that the screws were one of those things that only the original engineers and authorized mechanics knew the purpose of. Since those guys are all dead by now, their purpose is anyone's guess.

I figure we'll have to ask someone who owns a real one to see what happens when they are twisted.
    Well that makes me feel better about having no clue as to what they where for!.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Looking great. Now I have a challenge. .... .to find some information about the bike you don't have. Don't think that will happen in a hurry

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art
    I wouldn't be to sure about that Cowboy.
    Most of what I know would fit on the back of a postage stamp!.

More work done on the carbie yesterday.
    I started painting it and adding some of the screws and fittings.
    Thanks to fletty I've had no trouble having the right parts on hand!.

The screws aren't done up on the ram as the chrome paint is still far to soft.
    That's also why things are a little dusty as well.

I spent a lot of time going through the box of tricks (that being my collection of bits and pieces) and found a few parts
    that should get the carbie looking closer to original than the way I had it.

Great fun this!.

Cheers
    Trev.

The carb is looking spectacular Trev. As I have said before it amazes me the speed some of you guys build things, or in you case with this build/refurbishment the speed you rejuvenate the parts.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    The carb is looking spectacular Trev. As I have said before it amazes me the speed some of you guys build things, or in you case with this build/refurbishment the speed you rejuvenate the parts.
    , YES, ...... it looks like a new part out of the box Trevor, cheers, Peter

With one exception ...... "Most of what I know would fit on the back of a postage stamp!. ".......

Humbug Trevor, your knowledge and know-how would cover a whole very big stamp album .............

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Agree with Derek - Spectacular - Fantastic - whatever other accolades you can think of !!

The whole question of why are there screws in the heads was bothering me. So I went searching for the answer and it appears that they were designed to give better access to the valves.

Check out the patent drawing at the top left of this page on wiki..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Model_W

In the caption below the picture it mentions the screws and their purpose as an access to the valves. The patent describes a compression release system to aid in kick starting high dis-placement motorcycle engines. I've never seen a motorcycle with one, but I do remember some older trucks with Cummings diesel engines that had them for exactly the same reason. Without the compression release you were never going to start one of those in the cold winter.

So I really haven't told you much about why the access was needed. but at least now we know why the screws are in the heads. All I can think of is that they allowed some sort of special tool to reach inside the head to remove the valves during an over haul.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot... the carb is looking great!
    He who blesses his neighbor in a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted as cursing!
    Videos I have made. Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52/videos

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie52 View Post
    The whole question of why are there screws in the heads was bothering me. So I went searching for the answer and it appears that they were designed to give better access to the valves.

In the caption below the picture it mentions the screws and their purpose as an access to the valves. The patent describes a compression release system to aid in kick starting high dis-placement motorcycle engines. I've never seen a motorcycle with one, but I do remember some older trucks with Cummings diesel engines that had them for exactly the same reason. Without the compression release you were never going to start one of those in the cold winter.

So I really haven't told you much about why the access was needed. but at least now we know why the screws are in the heads. All I can think of is that they allowed some sort of special tool to reach inside the head to remove the valves during an over haul.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot... the carb is looking great!
    Thanks for that Johnnie.
    I don't know about the access part, on the head I copied the hole (once the screw was removed) was very small.
    You couldn't get much more than a toothpick in there!.
    But I do agree with the compression release.
    On the head I saw there was just a screw set in place, but I've seen a lot that have a brass knob attached to it allowing it to be turned by hand.
    I reckon the compression release is the go!.

Thanks for looking into it "Gotta Luv A Mystery!"

Cheers mate.

A bit more done on the carbie today.
    It's starting to come together pretty well.
    I've put the lighter in for scale.

I still need to paint the small cam chrome and find a few more bits and pieces.

The wire sticking out the side is a piece of a bicycle spoke I'll use to hold the butterfly.
    I'll have to try and find another of my old bankcards to modify!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Are you sure that is not a real carby and you're just trying to trick us?
    Thinking again, nah, we know your skill at making the unreal look real
    Dallas

Beautiful fine detail in your work Trev, as always. Looking at your photos, I can imagine a motorcycle enthusiast, fine wire brush and solvent at hand, restoring and cleaning a full size carbie to the same gleaming state, ready for reinstalling on his prized two-wheeler.

Craig

The intake manifold that holds the carbie between the cylinders was in pretty bad shape.
    So today I built a new one.

The red pen mark is on a temporary gasket that protects the paint work.
    The options for painting the manifold are either black or nickel.
    I think I'll go with nickel.

I've still got a few parts to make for the carbie so I'll keep working on them.

Cheers
    Trev.

Bit of a footnote for Johnnie: In the last picture mate you can see the screw hole in the head.
    The more I think about it the more I'm sure your right it must be to release compression.