Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log

Hi

The is my first wood model and first build log.
    I always wanted to do a ship, but as it was my fist time I thought that I would go for something a little easier. I looked at Hearns Hobbies in Melbourne and noticed a Artesania Latina Stagecoach kit. The price was a lot more than the plastic models I had done as a kid so I thought I would look around and research first. I can across thus forum and the builds by SCRIPT and ADRIEKE and after reading both decided that I would do the Amati model. Its about half the price again that the Latina was. The kit was online from Model Shipyard in NSW
    Anyway here goes day one:

An Unboxing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No0cZHzIX-Q

My setup in the study as the cars take up all the room in the garage and the little toolset used:Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00036-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00038-jpg

The parts pre assembly:Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00040-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00041-jpg

Finished but not glued & pined yet. 2 errors. Bands on wrong way on rear & lttle round thing on front I broke in half and had to glue together ( Bit excited removing parts from frame)
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00042-jpg.
    Thats it day one.
    Great fun so far. Instructions vague on what to glue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Good start Paul....
    Looks like I got a front row seat.....
    Thank you for taking the time to write & photograph the Work in Progress.....
    Cheers, crowie

Default Day 2

Tks for the support.

Begging to hate .5mm drill bits broke my first.
    Pinned and completed axel section The brass pins are supposed to be cut from 7.8mm brass wire.
    Used suggestion in Scripts build and obtained some brass 16mm dress pins from Spotlight for $3 and cut them back with pliers where needed.
    Don't remember how many times I dropped them.

Seems a shame to paint this later given the wood and brass fittings.
    anyway onward goes.

Paul V
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00044-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00045-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00049-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00051-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00056-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00057-jpg

Default Day 3.5

Brake assembly & handle.
    The only issue I had was that the instrictions were wrong when it came to fitting the brake assembly to the base.
    It ask you to first complete the brake including including pivots and then place throug base. However the pivots do not fit.
    I has to remove them and then re attached once put through the base.
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00060-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00061-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00062-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00063-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00066-jpg

After that the rest was easyish....
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00067-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00068-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00071-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00072-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00076-jpg

Brake handle only temp fitted at present.

Hi Paul the build is looking good so far so I will be popping in to see how you are getting on. I mainly build toys now but have done scale models boats in the past. A couple are HERE

Default Day 4 plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Hi Paul the build is looking good so far so I will be popping in to see how you are getting on. I mainly build toys now but have done scale models boats in the past. A couple are HERE
    Tks, your boats are brilliant.

Day 4

Broke 2 more drill bits so off to local Jaycar Sat as hobby store is out of stock and my online order has not arrived yet. Bummer.

Stagecoach Suspension mounts completed and installed.
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00081-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00084-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00087-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00088-jpg

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day Paul,
    You are certainly putting in the time and effort along with a big dose of patience to get this stage rolling, well done.
    I'll be game and give you my preferred option on all the beautiful brass work & timber; clear lacquer finish please....
    Keep it coming, cheers crowie

Default Day 4-7 Hate spokes

Tks for the advice, I will keep it natural unless there is some really bad reason not to. Not a purest, I love the natural wood look. Having did that I did paint the wheel hubs black as the laser work and the different types of wood make it look ugly. I also painted the mdf brown for the leather support look.

Day 4 completed the front axel & steering unit.
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00089-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00090-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00091-jpg

Day 5 & 6 ( Sat / Sun ) split disk covering on my back so I'm not allowed to sit for extended periods of time. Try cutting models lying down.

Anyway I love the wheel making process ( Did I say I love it,,,,NOT)
    ended up putting outer covering on hub and rim first. This gave me a lip and closed in box to insert the spokes. Have yet to smooth them round.,,,
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00096-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00102-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00098-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00097-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00099-jpg
    painted Centres & Leather support
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00112-jpg
    Day 7+

Wheels completed and cart base assembled but not glued, sanded or final finish applied yet.
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00115-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00118-jpg

The model is bigger than I expected and is awsome so far. Really loving putting it together so far. Learning a lot, using new tools.. Fun Fun Fun.

Default Day 8 9

Time to build the body...

Frame up was straight forward and simple
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00120-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00123-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00125-jpg

then came the seating base...
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00127-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00128-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00132-jpg

Default Day 10 Bending

After lots of research on this forum and the net, conflicting methods, you tube vids on big wood bending and ship models.
    A complex mechanism normally reserved for rubbish removal & tie downs was used with boilling kettle
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00133-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00135-jpg

Next came the nailing and the glueing and the sweating & cursing and well it worked, never done that before so it was a relief when it came together
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00137-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00182-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00183-jpg
    Finally frame work for outer skin and a few drinks to calm the nerves.

Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00184-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00185-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00189-jpg

Default Day 11 Skiining the shell

Its day 12 I think. Anyway time to apply outer carriage skin and framing.
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00193-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00197-jpg
    Now the skin
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00198-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00200-jpg
    And the mounting brackets for suspension
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00201-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00203-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00204-jpg
    end of day

Default Day 12 Doors

Carriage doors.
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00209-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00210-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00211-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00212-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00213-jpg
    Glued framing for door on wrong side of door, so I had 2 doors he same rather than a left & right side.
    Luckily I discovered it early and was able to cut away pva glue and move to to tjher side of door.
    Sanded down to fit carriage ( not much needed) and then skinned door and re sanded to fit carriage.
    Still to fininsh doors with handles & imitation glass.

Default Day 13 ( not nlucky yet )

Started roofing....
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00214-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00358-jpg
    commenced trim on carriage
    Amati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00206-jpgAmati Stagecoach first ever wood model Log-dsc00208-jpg

Paul,

I really like your work. You show great skills. Look forward to seeing your ongoing work. Very impressed

Regards

Keith

Default Day 14 Roofing

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Paul,

I really like your work. You show great skills. Look forward to seeing your ongoing work. Very impressed

Regards

Keith
    Tks Keith

Never done one of these before. Working up courage to do a boat with this first. Still deciding to stain or paint. Will Prob stain and then if I don't like paint over. Prefer nat wood. have test stained wallnut on spare bits and it looks okay. Much better than the plain ply they supplied for the body base & Front Rear.

DSC00214.jpgDSC00358.jpgDSC00359.jpgDSC00361.jpgDSC00363.jpgDSC00364.jpg
    Almost done. Now to fit
    DSC00366.jpgDSC00367.jpgDSC00368.jpgDSC00369.jpg
    Off to

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast