Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hercus Craftsman Spindle Help!

Can anyone assist with a problem Craftsman Spindle.

I have attempted to remove mine from the lathe head but it steadfastly refuses to comply. It will move about 10mm forward and that is all. I've tried gentle persuasion with hammer via a block of wood as well as a hydraulic press, to no avail. I'm about to construct a puller to try to draw the shaft through the bearings/bull gear etc.

Does anyone have advice for dealing with an non-conforming Craftsman spindle (and its frustrated owner)?

Thanks in advance,

Arthur

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I’ve removed the spindle from my Craftsman a couple of times with no problems. If you have a copy of the Text Book Of Turning follow the instructions on page 10, quote:

“To remove the spindle from a roller bearing headstock the reverse bracket and gear guards are first removed, front and rear bearing caps taken off, take-up nut unscrewed and the spindle tapped forward”

On a Craftsman the gear guard of course just hinges back and I didn't have to remove the reverse bracket or the rear bearing cap. The take-up nut is the round collar on the outer end of the spindle that sets the end play, with that off you should be able to tap it out forward with a soft faced hammer.

I'm struggling to think what else could be the problem. If the front bearing cap is off then the inner part of the taper should come out. The clutch pulley and bull gear are located with woodruff keys, perhaps they could be damaged?

Can you post a photo so we can see the general condition of the headstock that might hold a clue or two?

Noel

Default Thanks Noel

Thanks for your response, Noel.

I have followed the instructions in the Hercus manual; have removed all bits possible including the backgear, bearing caps, nut, spacer etc, etc. It is doubtful that tapping with a soft hammer would move the spindle at all. A mystery!

I'll take, and post, some photos tomorrow, but don't think they will reveal anything. Maybe the a woodruff key is turning in the shaft and 'catching' a gear? What ever the problem, the spindle will have to come out.

I'm hoping to construct a puller tomorrow but will first try to tap the "gears" forward 10mm (the amount the spindle will move) one at a time, and maybe then will see what the problem is.

Arthur