Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hercus Model 0

Default Hercus Model 0

Just picked up this one up on ebay for $300, should clean up nicely !! I'm going to have to get my brother in law to pick it up, I've written him some dis-assembly instructions, but can't remember if winding the knee all the way up, and then removing the gib will allow the knee to come off the column???? (alternative is to unbolt the column from the base plate and then remove the knee from the bottom). I need him to break it down into small bits as he's going to have to unload it himself. Thoughts??
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Moving the Model O Hercus

A nice purchase & a very low price.
    These are great little mills.
    May I suggest you get someone to assist in the move.
    The reason... if you try undoing the base you will find a bunch of electrical wires that are probably best not disturbed.
    The knee is also best left in place, it could be easy to mess things up, & do damage.
    My opinion is to move it as it is.
    Ive owned one of these mills for many years.
    regards
    Bruce

Default Wow, a late 16 speed model!!!

I'm not rocking the boat but....

Remove the table lead screw by unscrewing the the left and right hand end castings and winding the screw out then slide the table off. Wind the knee up to allow access to the two bolts securing the upper end of the Z feed screw to the knee. Remove the bolts and then lower the knee. After removing the gib the knee can be lifted up and off.

I've had to haul a few machines home by myself and the only manageable way was to dismantle them.

I agree with Bruce. They are a neat little machine.

Bob.

PS. I just removed the left hand end casting from my table and remembered that it must be removed to clear the X feed screw nut. You could leave the right hand casting in place and simply unscrew the table from the nut.
    Last edited by Anorak Bob; 6th February 2015 at 05:21 PM. Reason: More added

Congrats - that is a good buy.
    Can you please tell us the dimensions of the table?
    I'm curious as to whether your 3 slot version is wider than the 2 slotters.

Jordan

Very nice, congratulations. I didn't see that one, was it a buy it now?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by nadroj View Post
    Congrats - that is a good buy.
    Can you please tell us the dimensions of the table?
    I'm curious as to whether your 3 slot version is wider than the 2 slotters.

Jordan
    The photos below illustrate the difference. The chipped green end cap is off my O. Steve Durden sent me a box of parts for the O and a few parts for the 270. Some of the mill parts were for the 3 slotter.

BT

Thanks Bob.
    There goes my cunning plan to upgrade my 2 slotter with an extra one.

Jordan

Thanks for the thoughts on picking it up, I've decided to wait until I get back to do it myself. I don't think this was listed on ebay for very long, maybe only 10 minutes, I got into work and decided to have a look while I was having a coffee and it popped up in suggestions, coffee nearly went on the keyboard in the rush to hit they buy it now! I didn't even realise that the table was a three slot until I read the comments here. The owner was thinking about putting it the dumpster but then decided that someone might want a little horizontal mill so they listed it on ebay at a low price. Lucky for me and lucky for the "0" !!

Quote Originally Posted by rickw72 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts on picking it up, I've decided to wait until I get back to do it myself. I don't think this was listed on ebay for very long, maybe only 10 minutes, I got into work and decided to have a look while I was having a coffee and it popped up in suggestions, coffee nearly went on the keyboard in the rush to hit they buy it now! I didn't even realise that the table was a three slot until I read the comments here. The owner was thinking about putting it the dumpster but then decided that someone might want a little horizontal mill so they listed it on ebay at a low price. Lucky for me and lucky for the "0" !!
    Rick,

A number of us have never laid eyes upon the 3 slotter. When it is in your hands it would be great to see some detailed photos. Of interest to me is the motor and its mount and how Hercus increased the number of speeds from the two slotter's 8 to the 3's 16.

If you have not already done so, and if you are interested, it might be worth your while to read some of the threads on the incorrect use of grease in the back gear assembly. Here's one - https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...09#post1371609

Bob

Default Lucky Find

Rick
    You certainly got a great machine at a good price.
    I have the older 2 slot table machine & it was $2000 second hand about 20yrs ago.
    Hand scraped the slides & snugged up the feed screw nuts a while back.
    Its now a good solid little mill.
    I use it mainly in an end mill configuration.
    Did your mill have an end milling head?
    Important, as Bob has noted, to use only oil with this machine.
    regards
    Bruce

I will definitely take photo's of 2 slot versus 3 slot when I pick it up as I will have one of each next to each other.

I don't believe that there are any accessories with it, but it will be interesting to see if there is anything lurking in the base of the machine.

Thanks for the comments on grease, I think this will be an issue as there looks to be some on feed screws, not a good sign!

Hi Rick,

When I moved my Hercus O, I did it by myself with a engine hoist and luck with no problems. I did manage to squash my index finger last year moving my shaper in the same way though, so be careful. Since they are so small you can manually move them around as well.

I was lucky my mill didn't have any grease used on it at all. But it does seem a lot of people did use grease on them.

Ben

Well done on that score, I have 3 no 0 mills and no 3 slot models yet. $300 is a brilliant price too. As far as picking it up, you will probably be pulling it down for a derust and clean later on so you're not wasting any time by pulling it apart on site but if you have access to a fork lift you can snug the forks up to the cabinet under the chip tray and lift from there. Dont forget they are top heavy and tie down accordingly, best to have a ute or trailer with a head board for security

I ended up pick up the machine this morning in torrential rain, not great but it was outside anyway, broke it down into the major components, relatively straightforward. One tip, the column side access door has a safety interlock switch on it, make sure you unbolt that from the inside of the column.

Below are some photo's including some 3 slot to 2 slot comparisons:

Hercus Model 0-p2140248-jpg
    Base with the interlock switch, the only other electrical disconnection required is the motor.

Hercus Model 0-p2140249-jpg
    Box of bits

Hercus Model 0-p2140250-jpg
    Table

Hercus Model 0-p2140251-jpg
    Spindle, appears to be 30INT not MT3.

Hercus Model 0-p2140252-jpg
    Three slot drive train, doubling of speeds achieved by two toothed belt reduction options, helical fibre gears still used.

Hercus Model 0-p2140253-jpg
    Two slot drive train

Hercus Model 0-p2140254-jpg
    Two slot table width (roughly 132mm)

Hercus Model 0-p2140255-jpg
    Three slot table width (roughly 166mm)

Hercus Model 0-p2140256-jpg
    Three slot length of knee slide (roughly 280mm)

Hercus Model 0-p2140257-jpg
    Two slot length of knee slide (roughly 220mm)

Hercus Model 0-p2140259-jpg
    Two slot knee slide width (roughly 115mm)

Hercus Model 0-p2140260-jpg
    Three slot knee slide width (roughly 140mm)

Some quite substantial differences there, you would wonder how the marketing department didn't insist on calling the 3 slot the "No.1"??? I also suspect that the column is actually deeper to accommodate the two toothed belt pulleys side by side.

Hi,

The photo ending with 253 (I think) showed oil pooled in the base of the column. A good sign I reckon, at least oil has been used at some time in the right places.

Ben.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast