Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Stanley 4 1/2 for $85

I spotted a Stanley #4 1/4 in a small town antique shop the other day for $85 and would like some opinions on whether it's worth the price. It looks like it has spent most of its life sitting on a shelf as there is no real signs of use or abuse. The tote and knob are undamaged and the iron looks hardly used. The sole however has some deep pitting from rust, but only in a couple of small areas and none too close to the mouth. It has been cleaned up very well, the japanning is original and the nickel plating very good.

I don't buy planes to look pretty but to use, saying that what does this plane actually excel at? I'm interested although not entirely sure what I'd use it for! I have a 40 yo Record #4 for smoothing already, how does the wider blade of this plane improve matters?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tiff View Post
    .....I don't buy planes to look pretty but to use, saying that what does this plane actually excel at? I'm interested although not entirely sure what I'd use it for! I have a 40 yo Record #4 for smoothing already, how does the wider blade of this plane improve matters?
    I'll kick off the discussion, C.T. I'm tempted to say simply, that if you are wondering if you need this plane, then you almost certainly don't!

However, that deserves a bit more explanation. My reasoning is, that if you've been getting along fine with your #4, then there is nothing the 4 1/2 will do any better, it has the same geometry, the body is an inch longer and it takes a shaving that is 3/8" wider, so it will maybe finish the job a little quicker, that's about all. Some people prefer the heft of the 4 1/2 over the lighter 4, so if you prefer a bit of weight in your planes, you may find the 4 1/2 suits you better, and you would come to love it above the 4. (But if it's real heft you want, save your pennies for an infill - then you'll get heft! )

Everyone has their preferences in planes, and my go to smoother for routine work happens to be a #4, too. I've got a couple of others that are brought out for particularly gnarly grain, or small areas, but the #4 is the general-purpose workaday smoother for me. I've tried a 4 1/2 a few times, but I'm just so habituated to the #4, the 4 1/2 feels like a lumpy, awkward thing by comparison.

It's easy to give someone else advice, harder to take one's own. Most of us end up with more planes than we really need, and offer some pretty feeble excuses for doing so. If the plane in question is an oldie (pre WW2) with Rosewood handles and in prime nick, it's a bargain - you should grab it just for that reason alone. If it's a newer plastic-handled thingie, be very leery - it may be unused for a good reason (it's un-useable!)

Cheers,
    IW

I'll take the counter point to Ian. I most often go to the #4½ over the #4. The #4 is a very handy plane and it can do pretty much everything you need (according to Paul Sellers) but I find the heavier #4½ is able to do it better and quicker, for me at least. Similarly I prefer the #5½ over the #5. I just like the feel and the extra momentum generated by the heavier bodies of the ½s. Well worth sharpening up and putting to use.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

For general carpentry and workshop use the 4 1/2 is an unwieldy brute of a thing.

There, I said it.

They really are a dedicated heavy smoother. If you want a 'next plane' to complement your #4 try a #220 block plane or a #5 or (if you need a jointer plane) a #7.
    We don't know how lucky we are......

As is your wont ,and frequently stated "horses for course" what suits one may not suit another.
    Ergonomically its what you can comfortably deal with moreover on any protracted period ,personally I like the 4 1/2 for it's heft.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

To answer the original question is a 4 1/2 worth $85? My answer is that it is not cheap. Without seeing it may be worth $85, since the Toolexchange is generally asking around $135 for a variety of good quality old English or USA 4 1/2s. A relatively modern English Stanley 4.5 with plastic handles and soft pressed metal yoke parts is definitely not worth $85. If it is a Bedrock then $85 is a steal.

If you keep cruising second hand shops you will probably eventually find another one for as low as $25, but it may take you 5 to 10 years of looking.

I like my 4 1/2. I recently finished a table and the 4 1/2 was my most used plane on that build. Much nicer working the table top with a wider plane that could be skewed to attack the wild grain and still cover a nice track.

Whether you like/need/want it, I agree with Fuzzie and think it's over priced. Especially if it's pitted.
    A quick scan of recent sales of Record 4 1/2 on the 'bay shows 2 planes for lots less.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...plane&_sacat=0

Gumtree has some even cheaper.

I've had 8 of them from various makes, bedrock to millers falls 10 to a gaggle of standard stanley bailey stuff.

Presume there is some kind of premium there. Over here in the states, something with pitting like that is probably a $40-$50 plane. You'll have to make the call there. I would add that having an iron and chipbreaker that are in good condition with the iron full length is worth about $25 over having damaged or spent parts, and I don't ever see the market really doing a good job of reflecting that.

Someone above said unwieldy, I agree. I think a 4 is a more ideal sized smoother. The 4 1/2 is like the split finger on an 0-2 count, a little slower and heavier feeling when contact is made.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'll probably pass on this unless I can date it. It's definitely not an 80's plastic job but I didn't notice if the yoke was a casting or a pressed steel job.

It'll be another couple of weeks before I'm back up that way so if it's still there I can cast a more critical eye on it now.

Once again, thanks for all the comments and advice.

I prefer the 4 1/2 over the 4 for almost everything. The weight of the tool seems to make a big difference, the 4 to me feels like a toy in comparison. The blades will fit a 6 and 7 which is also nice if you wanted to interchange blades.
    You can never have enough planes, that is why Mr Stanley invented the 1/2s