Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to make jointer tables coplanar?

Spent the last 3 days setting the knives on my newly arrived 8" Hafco P-200H jointer with four HSS knives. You can see the raging debate here Finally, after learning much from fellow forum members along the journey, after 2.5 days I got the knives the same height as the outfeed table, or within 0.5 thou across the length of each knife. The outfeed table is set to the height of the highest knife point. Talk about anal and bloody minded.

After I had done that I decided to check the tables for alignment. I made reference to an article by FWW's Roland Johnson here ( Tools and Shops 2013), but muggins here skipped straight to the section on how to set the knives. If I had read it more carefully, it states in big bold capitals : Do the tables first!!

Anyway, did the tables today and found that they were not coplanar. One side of the infeed table nearest the pulley was 40 thou higher than the outfeed table. So I followed Johnson's advice and loosened both table gib bolts and locks and re-tightened. This time one side of the infeed table was 10 thou above the outfeed table, and 3 thou below on the other side, all measurements taken at the table edge nearest. the cutter head.

My question is, considering that the knives are set to within 0.5 thou of the outfeed table, will the total 13 thou difference in coplanar levels be a problem? If so, how do I fix it? The tables are set in dovetailed ways.
    Last edited by Dengue; 6th February 2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: measurements corrected
    regards,

Dengy

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Start by making sure the outfeed table is a flat piece of iron, no twist, cupping, bowing. Same thing for the infeed table. Straight edge for cupping, winding sticks for twist. if they r not flat ignore the rest of this since it is dependant on flat surfaces.

I just use a straight edge atleast as long as the overall tables. Set both tables so they seem to be at the same height. Place straight over the tables near fence and hold it down tight on infeed, check for an uneven gap along the outfeed table (u can deliberatly set the infeed 1mm above the outfeed and use feeler gauges if u want to know actual measurements, I just sight it myself), the front or rear edge may need jacking up or down. Do the same thing on the other side of the table.

This should put the tables into coplanar, but just check u didnt add in a twist between the 2 tables.
    Grizzly have pretty decent utube vid of it

then u can jack up one side of the cutter block to make that parallel to infeed. U can do this first if u like, doesnt matter which.

I have a P-200H.....had it now for 2 years...
    well it's no Powernatic.....you just have to get it as best as you can.
    Mine has a slight twist n the tables......I've shimmed them as co-planer as best as can be....not perfect but livable.
    the fence is also not perfectly square to tables (partly due to the slight twist in tables). Get it square on the out feed table as close as possible to the cutters.

I get get now a pretty reasonable jointed board that is square enough to the fence.

for the price it does a reasonable job. You get what you pay for......One day I'll get a Powermatic Jointer and table saw.....the two most used pieces of machinery in my workshop.

cheers

Thanks Kuffy. The outfeed table is dead flat measured across it parallel and near to the cutter head, but the infeed table has a cup of 2.5 thou ( 0.06mm) in the centre meaured with feeler gauges. Nothing much I can do about that.

My main problem is how to fix the coplanar problem between the two tables, one corner being 15 thou (0.4mm) higher than the corresponding point on the other table, measured either side of the cutter head
    regards,

Dengy

U will have to add a shim on the low side of outfeed table to jack it up. Under the dovetail keyways. Remember it is there for the future when you r moving the outfeed table up n down since nothing but pressure holds it there. 0.4mm is too much, u wont be able to flatten wide boards without bumping into the outfeed table due to low cutter or having the board roll side to side as u plane it.

The grizzly vid I spoke of. They show the adding of shims under the dovetails.

the link to vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caxVqv3FyU
    Last edited by Kuffy; 6th February 2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: damn tablet doesn't paste good.

Thanks for that video link, Kuffy, that was a real eye opener. I had never read about or seen this sort of jointer tuning before
    regards,

Dengy

I found this link to an excellent American Woodworker article that covers it very well too with great drawings and photos. Also shows how to test the jointer once all the adjustments are made
    regards,

Dengy