Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    One thing I can't understand is that the big 2 claim they are not allowed to sell cigs through the express lane - means you have to que up twice, and two transactions on the card statement.
    But every IGA have ever been to will sell cigs through the express lane so you can get everything in a single transaction.
    Was told similar years ago. Also told reason was that most of them "checkout chicks" , not my terminology, were under the age of 18 and therefore illegal to handle smokes. The big 2 also believe that they have foot in both camps healthy v's others as they are happy to sell smokes but you don't get your so called super dooper 4cents a Litre discount, bear in mind that the so called loyalty freebee is only good for 150L or $6.00. I'm sure any genuine price comparison check including IGA and ALDI would indicate that the big 2 have well and truly covered the cost of their so called "loyalty freebee".

The head shaking joke of it all is that you hear of people buying anything to ensure that they have the required $30.00 worth, even when only going in to get a loaf of bread and a 2L milk. I know it's a little different in the big smoke but in the scrub you often need to go a few k's to get to the required discount fuel going straight past other servo's. Yep, shopper discount fuel is a real winner - not IMHO.
    Regards,
    Bob

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I dont bother the fuel discount crap anymore - where I live we have 2 Woolworths but no Woolworths servo, there's a coles servo not far away but the nearest Coles store is 30k away.
    But I went through the palaver of scanning my Woolies card every time I shopped and when I went to a Woolies servo I was passing they said there was nothing on the card.
    I get my fuel at a local Freedom outlet, comparible prices to begin with and 4 cents off if you pump more than 40 litres which with a Falcon I do.

As for your comment Doug, thats just crap management by the staff, they should serve in order of arrival regardless of which que the person is in - but I get the opposite at the IGA, stand in the express line with groceries and wanting smokes and watch someone that wants just smokes stand at the outside counter and jump the que.

Well Woolworths are full of .
    When I started this thread I put in a complaint to Woolworths about this, got some manager on the phone telling me it was a mistake and he had spoken to the store blah blah blah.
    Well I was in that store today and the tag is still up. As it happens I forgot a couple of things so when I go back I am taking a digital camera (they may kick me out for taking a pic but at 6'1 and 150kg they won't get the camera off me) and will put in a formal complaint to comsumer protection.

Around my part of the world, you can tell when there is going to be an advertised special on an item the next advertising cycle as it isn't restocked before the sale - result, it is 'sold out' immediately if not before the sale, and then no more are put out until the sale is over.

Another peeve is filling bins with stock different to what is labelled on the bin, usually with more expensive stock. Or filling all the (usually freezer) bins with one low grade item when there are supposed to be several different items - they have them out the back in storage if you complain loudly enough.

I have seen 'manager' types going around the store removing current 'special' price tags from fully stocked displays - not sure what the reasoning behind that one is, maybe he has decided to resign and is getting a bit of pay-back?

Another 'management' weirdness that has recently become fashionable is turning off most of the self-serve checkouts so there are long queues - one or maybe two live operators processing several big trolleys and 10-20 people queued up at the self serve while more than half the self serve terminals are barricaded off but fully functional.

Better take my pills now.............

Supercheap was exactly like that.
    I went in on their boxing day 40% off sale wanting a karcher accessory - I went to 3 supercheaps and they all had lots of empty shelves, mainly on big ticket or name brand stuff.

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

I think many informed consumers are aware of the retail selling tricks retailers use but unfortunately they are generally not illegal, immoral perhaps but not illegal.

Have a read of section 4 of - http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/conten...e_dec_2011.pdf - a summary of Australian Consumer Law.

"The ‘displayed price’ is a price:> attached to or on:– the goods– anything connected or used with the goods– anything used to display the goods."

Regardless of what store staff say if there is a price tag displayed anywhere that can be construed to be associated with a product (i.e. over stock displayed in bins) they must sell it for the "lowest displayed price." It is an offence not to but the fines are a paltry $5000. Not having a product code on a "displayed price" reasonably construed to be associated with a product then refusing to sell for the lowest displayed price on the grounds the "displayed price" does not have a product code is most likely a breach of ACL.

The fine print however is - "A price is not a ‘displayed price’ when it is:> entirely obscured by another price." i.e. a sale sticker placed over the previously displayed price. Now if the "discounted price" is above a previously displayed "normal price" then it is most likely a breach of consumer legislation and should be reported.

"A supplier who displays the same item with more than one price – ‘multiple pricing’ – must sell it for the lowest displayed price or withdraw the goods from sale until the price is corrected." A consumer who reasonably believes an item has "multiple pricing" with "displayed prices" would be well advised to push the matter and demand the lower "displayed price."

Many of the examples cited border on the misleading or deceptive conduct category, but many large retailers have legal teams that test the limits of legislation. I would like to see the practice of removing low margin or high priced stock from "display" into store or warehouse prior to a sale investigated & tested in a court. However I cannot blame a retailer for not wanting to loose money on low margin stock.

http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/conten...ember_2010.pdf is also worth a read for those who are interested.

If sufficient informed customers make complaints about "deceptive" pricing to the Office of Fair Trading etc in your state then a general trend of pricing and "deception" may appear.

A couple of years back I took on a major brand electronics retailer and won however the win was rather hollow. The chain of stores advertised a software product at a very significant discount, however they had no available stock and attempted to sell me a similar version (read identical imo) much higher priced which was packaged and marketed differently. The sale item included the software on media, ironically the higher priced version was an online download code essentially. I asked to see the store floor manager and discussed the matter calmly and asked what their normal stock holding was for the sale priced item, - one item; for the other similar item - 80+ units; was the sale item still shown as "in stock" - yes. My request was I will wait while you find the advertised sale stock item thank you. They could not find it - surprise surprise. The store manager then involved herself into the conversation and again confirmed their stock holding of both items etc. She then accused and embarrassed staff of having a "boy look" in front of other customers and staff (potentially a breach of bulling & discrimination laws). Still they could or would not produce the advertised sale item. Both managers however attempted to "up sell" me to the higher priced item - a very clear cut case of bait advertising. The retailer never intended to "stock sufficient retail quantities" for the sale priced item - their intention was always to "up sell" the customer to the higher priced and very high margin stock line. Very coincidental that they just happened by chance to have very large quantities of the high margin non sale item and well above their normal stock holding levels.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Quote Originally Posted by bsrlee View Post
    Another 'management' weirdness that has recently become fashionable is turning off most of the self-serve checkouts so there are long queues - one or maybe two live operators processing several big trolleys and 10-20 people queued up at the self serve while more than half the self serve terminals are barricaded off but fully functional.
    Our local Bunnings does not even activate the self serve terminals until a couple of hours after the store opens and then turns them off at 5pm. When I asked why the bloke on the checkout said they didn't have the staff or the call for them ay this time. While he was saying this I pointed to the dozen or so customers queuing for the 2 checkouts that were open and the two extra staff standing around chatting in the returns area.

The local IGA are in stiff competition with Coles in the same shopping centre and recently advertise a policy of opening up a checkout if there are more than two customers queuing behind any one checkouts. It's not 100% adhered to but pretty close. I reckon stores could get more customers if they competed with this sort of a service policy. Being retired I've started doing the grocery shop around 9am on a monday so I'm in and our in a flash and I get to the freshest produce at the small greengrocer in the same shopping centre.

The closest servo I used to go to is a Shell (1.5km away on a major road) but it has only 2 diesel outlets (out of 12 pumps) and unless I went out of regular hours there were always queues for the 2 diesels pumps, sometimes out onto the road. The queue's got so long I started going to a Puma (which is 1-2c cheaper than Shell) about 3 km away and they have diesel outlets on all of their 8 pumps. Four km the other way there's a Big Puma servo and they have a diesel outlet on every one of their 20 pumps. Puma also take IGA fuel vouchers.

I guess what I'm saying is is not just price that attracts people to a store. Convenience is a big selling point that seems to be largely ignored.

BTW I used to laugh at fuel vouchers until I did the sums over a year.
    2 vehicles, one is filled every week and the other about every second week = ~55L x 1.5 x 52 *0.04 = $172.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    BTW I used to laugh at fuel vouchers until I did the sums over a year.
    2 vehicles, one is filled every week and the other about every second week = ~55L x 1.5 x 52 *0.04 = $172.

I still do as the nearest Shell is about 3 ks further away from my local servo and the Shell is usually 2 c dearer without a docket. As I use about 30 litres a week the savings deon't add up after allowing for further travel.

Peter.

Here in Bendigo the local APCO is usually close to the same price as Shell/Coles with a docket, eg APCO LPG 53.3 Shell/Coles and Woolworths 55.9, so essentially the 4c fuel docket is worth 1.4c/l

On diesel quite often the APCO is cheaper than Shell/Coles and Woolworths with a 4c docket.

I don't bother with fuel vouchers, where I live we have a coles servo down the road but the nearest coles supermarket is 30k away.
    We have a woolies but the nearest woolies servo is 30k away, after diligantly scanning my woolworths card every time I shopped I went in a woolies servo I happened to be passing and was told there was nothing on the card - I no longer scan the card when I shop, I figure it's just a scam to track my shopping.
    We have a local servo that offers 4 cents off if you pump more than 40 litres and their price is always good before the discount.

As for the IGA, as someone commented, their service is great - I don't know if its official policy but every time I'm there they open another checkout when the queues gets long.

Our local IGA is pretty good, and it has supported a small local supplier just getting started. However, they are being turfed out in favour of Aldi, which will give us 3 Aldis within 6km, despite a petition to the centre management and local council. Clearly, Aldi are just trying to remove the competition. I never have and never will buy anything from Aldi, and most people here feel the same, so they will go to other centres and the other small shops in our centre will go out of business.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I agree, we have an aldi here and it's crap.
    The customer service is , they claim to be cheaper because of things like bagging your own stuff but they don't seem much cheaper to me, and they have no supply continuity so you can buy a certain brand for a year and then find they don't have it anymore.

I like how the two big chains have deleted many of their cheap generic lines, instead introducing their "Woolworths Select" and "Coles Finest" at price points just a few cents cheaper than standard branded items...which explains why the majority of my shopping is done at Aldi. Not to mention the annoying 'specials' that only apply if you buy multiples of the item in question.

And I quite like my $2 a bottle Aldi red wine!

I always treat the Aldi checkouts as a race - if I can get my stuff loaded back into my trolley and essentially be waiting on them to print the receipt, I 'win' and I can go and treat myself to a coffee and a donut. Woolies can keep their $6 petrol offer, as I save at least five times that by shopping at Aldi.

You must have different IGA's than the ones here - everything but their specials seems to be about 30% more in price, and their 'fresh produce' always seems to be right on the floppy and limp end of its lifespan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12