Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bring out your burls.....

A friend of mine has a friend ....this may so far surprise those of you who know me but.......the second friend is American and makes fly fishing rods (I believe commercially).
    He has seen images, and has fallen in love, with Australian burls and especially those from Tasmania.
    He now wants to use sections of Australian burl in his hand made fishing rods.
    He is visiting in a few months and hopes to take home as many 50 x 50 x 150 mm billets of burl that he can fit into his bags!

Now, firstly a DISCLAIMER
    I am not, and do not intend to make any financial nor other gain out of this, I'm just helping a mate.

Obviously he expects to pay for these so, I'm offering that, if you would like to post pics of some burl that you have in the stash AND tell me how much you would want for 50 x 50 x 150 billets, I will send the info to him and, if he is interested, I will let you know, collect the samples and send you the money?
    If you are a commercial yard, I would be happy to send him your pics and contact details and then I'll get out of the way!
    I suggest you send me pic of the burl timber, (possibly) a pic of something you have made from it OR a picture of it finished AND your requested price for 50 x 50 x 150 billet, I will do the rest?

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Alan I have a small sample here of Burls. Of course my first choice is Boutique Timbers otherwise. mostly where mine come from.

Then if this fellow is really interested when he gets hme there is http://australianburls.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post

Then if this fellow is really interested when he gets hme there is http://australianburls.com/
    good call Ray!
    I note that they happily ship to USA ( unlike many USA companies who think that the World ends at their own borders) and I will let him know so that he may be able to save his carrying arms!
    However, even though I have not spoken to him, I have a feeling that he might also like some billets that have provenance, a story, something that adds mystique to the rods?
    I know that people that have furniture I have made from timber from Boutique Timbers, love it when I tell them where the timber came from....even though I may have described Mal and Greg as 'old time timber getters'.....!
    fletty

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    good call Ray!
    I note that they happily ship to USA ( unlike many USA companies who think that the World ends at their own borders) and I will let him know so that he may be able to save his carrying arms!
    However, even though I have not spoken to him, I have a feeling that he might also like some billets that have provenance, a story, something that adds mystique to the rods?
    I know that people that have furniture I have made from timber from Boutique Timbers, love it when I tell them where the timber came from....even though I may have described Mal and Greg as 'old time timber getters'.....!
    fletty

Hum being they are in USA Alan Chesapeake, Virginia you'd think they would ship then again

I am off to Kiama wood show next weekend can have a look at what Mal has down there also. Always a nice stash.
    He can have some of that Bottle Brush down the back if he'd like some.

Well, at least they are AUSTRALIAN a burls ?

I've got some small pieces of Jarrah Burl he can have for the cost of the freight, not sure how many or how big, I will check tomorrow.
    They are leftover from a project a mate and I did some years ago, never have thought of a use for them, happy to give them to a good home.
    Regards
    Bradford