Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default intersting little skewback

Found this at the tip the other day was in poor shape, decal reads WFB Amsterdam, just thought 's share it with you all. Sharpened 12tpi rip.
    SAM_1222 (800x600).jpgSAM_1223 (800x600).jpgSAM_1224 (800x600).jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Forgot to ask, how common is a 12" skewback? I personally don't think i've seen too many. At first I thought it was a kids saw but it has a full size(medium)handle.
    cheers
    Joel

Joel, at first sight, I thought it must've been a panel saw or regular handsaw that had a nasty accident, and got cut down to tidy it up. However, the fact that there are only two bolts holding the handle is a giveaway. Even a panel saw usually has at least 3. So my guess is it is a small saw made to fit in a portable tool kit. I'm trying to think of a trade that might have found such a saw handy - it would be something where a very small amount of sawing was necessary, or required sawing in tight spots. A full-size saw isn't that hard to lug around, after all, and would be far more comfortable to use than a 12 incher (for a heavy sawing session, that is).

Hopefully, someone who has a real clue will chip in with some suggestions...

Cheers,
    IW

Thanks for the reply Ian, When I seen it I didn't think too much about it, then I thought I'd grab it for my little bloke. Took a little to get it straight and needed to be re-toothed from scratch & re tensioned. The more I thought about it the more curious I got about it. Not sure I want to give it to a 3 year old now(I will cave), I think it would be handy for cutting small pieces of ply and the like.
    It it surprisingly comfortable to hold despite the ordinary looking handle, and rather fun to use
    I had to refrain from using the word "cute". but it is.
    cheers
    Joel

Default 12" saw

Quote Originally Posted by shedbound View Post
    Forgot to ask, how common is a 12" skewback? I personally don't think i've seen too many. At first I thought it was a kids saw but it has a full size(medium)handle.
    cheers
    Joel
    If you dig around there is a lot of reference to "junior" tool kits - many of the more expensive British and US ones described them as real tools just like dads. The handle size may seem larger than expected for a childs saw but European saws such as Sandviks always seemed to have a larger handle hole than the equivalent Disstons or S & J's - perhaps there is a history of Northern Europeans wearing gloves and mittens (or a 4 finger grip)

Neil

This is different, I thought ...

There's still plenty made now in the toolbox saw size ... https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...2F%3B474%3B439

"This is a Jennings toolbox saw, with a 10" blade"

Quote Originally Posted by shedbound View Post
    Found this at the tip the other day was in poor shape, decal reads WFB Amsterdam, just thought 's share it with you all. Sharpened 12tpi rip.
    SAM_1222 (800x600).jpgSAM_1223 (800x600).jpgSAM_1224 (800x600).jpg
    Hi Joel,

I think I see two numbers stamped just below the handle.... 12 & 10. You mentioned that the tooth count is 12tpi. What does the number 10 pertain to? I would normally expect a saw of that size to be filed crosscut. Did you concert the teeth to rip? When you count the teeth per inch, do you count points or gullets? Usually the number stamped on the saw is the point count or PPI.

The actually useful stroke length is about only 10", considering the handle gets in the way of the other 2". A very interesting little saw. You did a very nice job restoring it. It does in fact look to be the original size. During the hay day of sawmaking, Disston was the largest saw maker in the world. In their catalogs, they show that they made their panel saws as short as 16". Twelve is quite uncommon. I have a couple of 16" Disstons. They made the handle size much smaller and advertised them to be used in high school wood shops. All of their smaller saws were crosscuts.

I really like a lot of the smaller saws of various designs made by various saw makers. I have a small collection of them. I've converted a few of them to rip just for kicks.

Again, nice job..
    Marv

Looking at the close-up with the ruler, I count 10 *teeth* per inch ... which would normally be marked as 11ppi.

But I'm guessing that's where the 10(pitch) and 12(length) come from.

Paul