Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default CNC in Brisbane?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of anywhere in Brisbane where I could get some CNC action for a small project? I'm wanting to make a mini desktop arcade machine for the kids but the only power tools I have is a dremel and a ozito mitre saw so limited in what I can do in terms of design.

cheers,
    Nogi

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Add a router and a jigsaw to your tools list and you can get away without finding a CNC!

Actually, I think I may have a Bosch jigsaw somewhere in the garage too. The reason I was thinking of a CNC job is because I suck at cutting straight lines. And also, not sure how to cut in a groove for the screen to sit into.

I could rig the dremel to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Ct0p4Rr5TJ4 but I need the grooves on an inside square edge rather than the outter edge.

Cutting square lines is easy....the secret is to have a guide bar to run the saw against - this can be something like the edge of another sheet, clamped to the first, or something a bit more fancy such as: http://www.instructables.com/id/Circ...de-My-Version/ or even off the shelf from Bunnies, like http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrigh...uide-_p5860136

And as soon as you've cut the hole for the screen, you've got the edges for a bearing guided bit to follow!

Thanks, would you also suggest buying a hand held router or just an attachment for my Dremel to do the routing part?

I'd go the hand held router...dremels are good for some things, but generally way too small once things are getting serious!

I have a $60 Ozito router in my CNC as a cheap spindle, but for proper tool use I'd suggest springing out a bit more for a Ryobi or green Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by nogi View Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know of anywhere in Brisbane where I could get some CNC action for a small project? I'm wanting to make a mini desktop arcade machine for the kids but the only power tools I have is a dremel and a ozito mitre saw so limited in what I can do in terms of design.

cheers,
    Nogi
    Hi Nogi

I am about 15 min drive from you. Do you have any drawings or a design for your project as yet?

Craig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll send you a PM, as they are based on someone elses design not sure if I am able to just post here. I am still refining it though as the final look will be based on the screen I can source.