Default World first -maybe

hey all, a fellow forumite recently loaned me his Rotex. He told me it intermittently stopped running. Yesterday, it stopped permanently. I went on-line to search how to repair the plug-it power cord. All of the references said they were not repairable as they were made not to be, except in Europe where it is possible to get a repair kit.
    So I put my mind to a repair job.
    BEFORE READING ON, PLEASE NOTE THE DISCLAIMER POSTED ABOVE BY CHRISTOS. MY APOLOGIES FOR NOT INCLUDING IT IN MY POST.
    I plugged the cable backinto the Rotex and it started up ok. I wriggled the rubber boot on the connecting end and it stopped again then started. Aha I thought this must be the design fault everyone on other sites was referring to. I figured the green collar was a press fit as it wouldn't unscrew so I got a 1.5mm screwdriver blade and worked my way around the green collar where it fits against the black housing of the wiring. When there was about 4mm of gap i rocked the green collar back and forth until it was loose enough to remove from the black housing. I then got a fine hacksaw and made a cut between the two pole receptors in the plug down to the block moulded over the two wires. I extended the cut laterally down each side of the plastic housing and exposed the brown and blue wires. On close inspection the brown wire seemed to have a kink in it about 3cm into where the rubber boot would cover the wires. I stripped the brown wire and discovered the copper wire was broken and the ends were burnt from constant shorting. I stripped 5mm at each end of the break and spliced the two bare ends. I then soldered the wire back together, wrapped some insulation tape around it and put the plug-it end back together again. Being careful to maintan the proper alignment of the connecting sockets I plugged the cord back into the Rotex, let the electrons in and voila, it works perfectly again.
    Hope this helps anyone with the same problem but be careful, electricity kills.
    Last edited by Shedhand; 3rd March 2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by UBeaut or the Wood Working Forum's administrators
    or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
    or asking questions regarding electrical work.
    We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.

WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
    Members following such information do so at their own risk

Default well done

Well done Sheddy!

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.