Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Workcentre 2000 - no longer 'square'

Hi.
    New member, first time posting.
    All items are new. Workcentre 2000, Router Table attachment RTA300 and dust bag for the table.

I managed to assemble the saw table and get some cuts done.
    Then I attached a dust bag. I was a bit concerned that the saw table top resting on top of the bag was no longer completely flat and wobbled a bit, but a few hours on the internet convinced me that that was the way it was supposed to be.

Having finished my cuts, I then assembled the router table and installed it in place.
    Today, I needed to make some cuts, so I removed the router table top, installed the saw and **TRIED** to install the table top.
    But I couldn't get the saw table into the correct position.
    With one end of the table locked in place, the other end is about 3 mm out of alignment.
    I finally grabbed my square and rested it inside the rails and edges of the table and the unit is definitely out of square, with a visible air gap showing.

So after a long winded 'setting of the scene' : Does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach the situation please.

I can't figure out how it's managed to happen, as all the components are a set length and bolted into place.
    The table is inside the garage and I haven't been jumping up and down on it, it's just been sitting there.
    I'm thinking I can disassemble the entire unit, and 'rebuild it, but how is that going to 're-square' it?

Thanks.
    Tony the puzzled.
    Puzzled on how it happened and puzzled on how to fix it.

EDIT !!! I guess it's a trap for beginners (and they don't come much fresher than myself)....
    After much poking, prodding and finally with some solid thumps, I knocked the legs all the way back into their upright setting.
    One of the legs wasn't quite locked into position.
    The saw is now re-assembled.

cheers,
    Tob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome to the forum Tony glad you had a good result.

Here's a tip for you; when you decide exactly where in the shed you have it set up mark the spot! Kick the legs out so they're hard against their stops and then draw round each foot with a Texta. At a glance you can see if a leg has moved in and if you regularly move it around for for storage then you will always put it back in the ideal spot. A couple of houses ago my only shed was a 2 bay garage that had to hold all my woodworking tools, all the gardening tools, all our camping & fishing gear and a spare fridge. Oh, and a Jackaroo... Everything fitted together like a Chinese puzzle and when the weekend came the car was kicked out and the toys moved into their positions. By marking the feet everything fitted and I could go from the jointer to the thicknesses to the workcentre or router table without anything crashing into anything else.

Pretty much what Tiff said. The 2000 was designed for us 'weekend warriors' who have to pack everything away at the end of the day/project, and often work on uneven surfaces. It was also a very good site saw. The basic system of construction with tubes and girders held by screws and pins is intended to make a stable platform regardless of the surface it is sitting on, and does a pretty good job unless you are being silly (or forget to put both wheels up - waves hand, grins)

My procedure was/is to pull the base unit out, unfold the legs, shuffle it around until it looks like the job will clear sundry bushes and trees, get the table top and get it roughly into place, get one end latch at least partly into place, then wrestle with the base until the other latch lines up with its slot - if you only have 3mm to go you are doing well, I usually have around 6mm+ - then fight with the latches until they lock. Once the top is on, then spread the legs out as far as they will go - if they are not out at their stops the whole thing will gradually wander around the yard in small hops as you use it - DAMHIK. Other options include picking the whole thing up and turning it 180 because you set it up with the infeed end against a large cactus

Thanks guys.

TWO car garage... to paraphrase Monty Python... I lay awake at night DREAMING of a two car garage.
    don't I wish. I'm afraid I'm limited to a one car garage (townhouse)... with the door leading straight into the kitchen/lounge.

Which explains yesterday being fully devoted to researching buying/building a GOOD dust filter.

Once I've got that figured out/done...
    Then I can make some shelves to put all the stuff I've purchased lately...
    which will give me room in the garage ahem "shop" to make a workbench
    which will allow me actually START the desk/table which was the original driver for this adventure.

Cheers.
    Tob