Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

That's excellent news with the PMV11.

Stewie;

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm not Stewie lol

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    Stewie

Please stop posting links without offering an opinion. What do YOU think, and why suddenly raise A2 steel in this thread at all? That was the thread on SMC (to which I contributed), and it was filled with opinion and conjecture that reached no conclusion.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Someone pointed me to that thread to look since I posted a video about it. The thread went way beyond the point of the video. It's been my experience with A2 that it can be very picky about final bevel angle and it will microchip on a bevel down plane, but that the microchipping that may be prevalent at an angle goes away with another 2 degrees of angle. A lot of people seem to experience the same thing at 30 degrees.

I only picked up on it because I started woodworking learning to sharpen with david charlesworth's DVD, which provides a user with an angle slightly above 35 degrees (35+ the effect of the ruler trick). I never had any chipping. When I went to freehand sharpening, I had chipping with some irons, just a cosmetic amount, and that chipping led to short edge life given the resistance to sharpening. It occurred to me that I should try sharpening them the old way, and the problem again went away with all of them.

That's the extent of that tip. Simple. I have mentioned it to about a half dozen people who have said their irons were chipping, and every one of them said it solved the problem.

(I noticed perusing Steve Elliot's site at one point that he had found the same thing. He says 34 degrees, so I'll go with his number...34, 35 whatever). No clue on bevel up, I don't use many bevel up planes.

The direction that thread went after that reminds me why I used to get so aggravated there. There's way too much hypothetical posting from people who want to substitute what they think might happen vs. your experience in what actually happens, and a few of them are very insistent.

Appreciate your thoughts David.

regards Stewie;

lol so planemaker is Stewie sorry about that

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213