Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Safety issues

Default Safety issues

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Funny, when I went to school the first class or two covered safety and everyone knew not to touch the spinning things after that. I'd love to know how many instances of kids getting gobbled up by these deadly machines have actually occurred during the 40+ years most of them have been in service.

The clowns who do these audits couldn't give a tinkers damn about safety, it's all about dodging a law suit. Soon all students will have to complete a JSEA every time they enter the classroom. I guess the up side is that at least the education department is proposing workarounds and not just condemning the machines outright.

No wonder fewer and fewer schools are teaching trade skills anymore, much easier to plonk an iPad in front of each kid and let them prepare themselves for university attending class with Dr Google.

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo99 View Post
    Funny, when I went to school the first class or two covered safety and everyone knew not to touch the spinning things after that. I'd love to know how many instances of kids getting gobbled up by these deadly machines have actually occurred during the 40+ years most of them have been in service.

The clowns who do these audits couldn't give a tinkers damn about safety, it's all about dodging a law suit. Soon all students will have to complete a JSEA every time they enter the classroom. I guess the up side is that at least the education department is proposing workarounds and not just condemning the machines outright.

No wonder fewer and fewer schools are teaching trade skills anymore, much easier to plonk an iPad in front of each kid and let them prepare themselves for university attending class with Dr Google.
    I dont know of any lathe based injuries of that magnitude in my experience with education in NSW. Certainly cuts and abrasions are occasional, I wouldnt be surprised if there was the odd eye injury either, but Ive never heard of reports or advice of a major injury yet. Students arnt doing JSEA's to enter the room, but they are doing a written component for every machine they use, right down to battery screwdrivers and powerless handtools, so there's definitely a good focus on safety already, but I think its all a good move. Hell, I personally re-teach safetly more often than Im required.

There is going to be a time where there are drastic changes afoot for who teaches trade skills. Personally, I can see a future where tafe is privatised and schools are upskilled and tooled to teach teenagers trade skills. This will be a good move for keeping a steady flow of skilled workers coming through and saving the almighty dollar, though I can see a lot of people being angry about the idea of TAFE's being shut. To be honest, its just speculation, all I can say is that for quite a few years yet, I and many other people will be teaching teenagers how to work with metal (and wood, electronics and the like).