Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Spotted Gum Tabletop Finishing

Hello All

I have been currently working on making a table top from spotted gum. I have sanded down to 320 grit.

The question I have is, has anyone used Gemini Polish for finishing tables? My dad has used it before and only used this, just building up the layers and sanding in between. I have also seen on other posts that people have used Tung Oil before and only finished with the Gemini Polish.

The reason I want to use this as it is hard wearing and doesn't show white marks when things such as hot pots and cups are placed on the table.

I also have a few small knots from the timber, which I would like to keep as they look nice. What is the best way to fill these that would work with the above finishes I want to use?

Thanks
    Zac

table.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

***photo is before sanding***

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

First thing Zac - this particular forum is for help with the forum, not help with woodwork. So you should report your first post and ask a mod to move it to "Finishing" for you. To report a post clock on the warning sign (bottom left i think - can't see it when I'm replying - it's a little triangle).

Noo then. Gemini is an excellent durable product which will give your timber more of the "wet" look. However, it does not feed the timber the way oil does. So, oil the timber and let it dry for at least a week (depending on the oil and the additives that may be in it). Then apply the Gemini - make sure you do one stroke along the whole length, other wise you'll get join marks. I found it better to cloth it on rather than brush it.

Not sure of the virtue of sanding between coats of Gemini. "Rustynail" put me on to Gemini, so I'll send him a PM to have a look at this thread and perhaps have some input.

Oil to feed the timber.
    Gemini to protect it, and get the wet look.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

I think Brett has covered it pretty well. I use a lambswool mop to apply both the oil and the polish. The polish can be reapplied any time without any special treatment between coats. Its what is used on the floors in Parliament House so it can even handle bull s**t.