Default Where did the Christmas forum go?

Where did the Christmas forum go? This will most likely be seasonal in its popularity and, although it hadn't been added to for a while, it will be missed come next Christmas.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Not at this ISP address it won't.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

I complained in general that we had too many forums and we should reduce the number loss active ones - so in part you can blame me although I think the folks that run these forums were going to do it anyway.

There plenty of scope for things like Xmas in the "nothing to do with woodwork" forums and if is a woody item then it can go into one of the woodwork forums.

Some others got the chop/combo as well.

Good housekeeping IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I complained in general that we had too many forums and we should reduce the number loss active ones - so in part you can blame me although I think the folks that run these forums were going to do it anyway.

There plenty of scope for things like Xmas in the "nothing to do with woodwork" forums and if is a woody item then it can go into one of the woodwork forums.

Some others got the chop/combo as well.

Good housekeeping IMHO.
    So I wonder if someone will remove the sponsors' forums that haven't been added to in 5 or 6 years!? Granted, they help support the WWF as a whole, but if they either no longer exist, support the forums financially or in kind, or have anything happening in their business worthwhile updating us on, get rid of their forum. We will still see their ads down the right hand side of the screen.

The Renovating forum seems to have a lot of sub-forums that are not used / current; just have one big link to that section and free up some screen space. If storage is an issue, delete or restart the extremely lengthy sections of the Woodie's Jokes forum (photo captions, who am I, never-ending word association games, etc.) I have participated in these areas but I wouldn't be as miffed about losing those parts of the WWF as I am about the deletion of the Christmas forum.

And if it is more appropriate to have things in the "nothing to do with woodwork" section, delete or move everything regarding wine, pets, sports, etc. (I can understand how photography and travel can link to our woodworking pursuits.) Note that the Christmas Forum did not get moved. It was just deleted without consultation with its users.

I don't blame you Bob; it's a good idea to clean up the forum. I just wish someone had posted a notice regarding the removal of some of the aspects of our community.

Rant over for now,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CAG
    Where did the Christmas forum go? This will most likely be seasonal in its popularity and, although it hadn't been added to for a while, it will be missed come next Christmas.
    Christmas has gone away until Santa's Workshop is in full swing again, much later in the year when once again it may be relevant and get a bit of use. Were you looking for it to post a new thread or are you just miffed because it has disappeared.

There are a number of others that will disappear or be combined with others as and when time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by CAG
    So I wonder if someone will remove the sponsors' forums that haven't been added to in 5 or 6 years!? Granted, they help support the WWF as a whole, but if they either no longer exist, support the forums financially or in kind, or have anything happening in their business worthwhile updating us on, get rid of their forum. We will still see their ads down the right hand side of the screen. See # 2 Below

See # 1 Below The Renovating forum seems to have a lot of sub-forums that are not used / current; just have one big link to that section and free up some screen space. If storage is an issue, delete or restart the extremely lengthy sections of the Woodie's Jokes forum (photo captions, who am I, never-ending word association games, etc.) I have participated in these areas but I wouldn't be as miffed about losing those parts of the WWF as I am about the deletion of the Christmas forum.

And if it is more appropriate to have things in the "nothing to do with woodwork" section, (I think you probably mean: "Not Woodwork - My Other Loves") delete or move everything regarding wine, pets, sports, etc. (I can understand how photography and travel can link to our woodworking pursuits.) Note that the Christmas Forum did not get moved. It was just deleted without consultation with its users.
    6 threads and 28 posts from Nov last year. Last 2 posts were 13 Jan and prior to that the latest was Dec 24th

I don't blame you Bob; it's a good idea to clean up the forum. I just wish someone had posted a notice regarding the removal of some of the aspects of our community.
    There was info posted that some would go and some would be merged, etc. No info about specific forums.
    Until someone else starts paying the bills, and shouldering the burdens of the these forums it's all falls on the benevolent dictator who supplies these forums FREE to the members. There is no democracy, no committee, no one to blame but me and I do what is best for the forums. Had I listened to a committee the forums would have disappeared years ago. As for listening to the members of our community.... Everything in the "Not Woodwork - My Other Loves" section is there at the request of members and only the current forums have been left alone any that don't get posted in for more than 2 months will probably meet the same fate and be deleted.

# 1 Reno forums have been non posting forums for a number of years and were only getting RSS feeds from Renovate Forum after it was separated from WWF. It will most likely be the next big section to go. but being as how it is down at the second bottom slot on the main page it shouldn't bother anyone unless they are specifically looking for them. Been keeping it there because like the market place and the old market place it brings people to the forums who may otherwise never have found us. If I find the visitor numbers drop off after it is deleted then it may well be reinstated.
    # 2 As for the Sponsors forums they help pay to keep these forums free for the members. If sponsors choose not to use them then that is their problem and not ours. They are way down at the very bottom of the home page and don't add to the amount of screens that have to be scrolled through to get to other forums. So just like Reno they shouldn't bother anyone unless they are specifically looking for them.

Neil

PS New Quilting forum went live a couple of days ago and has already had 28 posts. No it isn't woodwork but neither were any of the posts in the Christmas thread.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Thanks Neil.

A little heads-up about removing forums in the near future could prevent a little anguish for others.

Craig