Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default electrical leads coiled around dust pipes

Hi guys,
    I am currently cleaning up the garage making things a little better set out. One of the things I need to do is to get the extension leads off the floor because i've rolled my ankle on the damn things a few too many times.

The leads start at the same location and there is also ductwork near this point. I figure the easiest way from point a -> b would be just to loosely coil the extension leads around the ductwork which is suspended overhead and it travels pretty close to where i need the end of the leads.

Is there any problem with running live extension leads around pvc ducting which currently produces a fair amount of static? I dont have any plans of grounding the system because I dont believe there is a significant chance of producing a spark great enough to ignite the dust in any meaningful way.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Should be OK.

Wrapping them around would take a bit of effort - what about using those stick on cable clippy things?
    I bought some on ebay, ~100 of them for $5
    OTOH they didn't stick that well to the rounded duct so I ended up using them on the ceiling of the shed.

How about using cable ties if you can get them long enough
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

thats a good idea bob.

ill get some clips but ill stick them with some PU or selleys all clear (whateva I find in the garage which isnt solid as a rock) because the double sided tape, as you say, just wont stick well to anything that isn't flat. it will make it easier to grab the lead for working in the backyard rather than having to uncoil it from the pipe.

Static won't be a problem.

The most important thing with an extension cord other than avoiding physical damage is to make sure that they put in a situation where they can over heat.

That is why they should always be fully uncoiled & not enclosed in any sort of conduit/ducting/trunking or inside a wall.

Technically, cable floor trunking/ducting is a no-no for extension leads as it can case failure due to over heating.

Snips from the rule books.

Flexible extension cords should not be used while in a coiled or reeled configuration.
    Flexible cords and cables shall not be subject to mechanical damage, damage by liquids or
    damage by high temperatures.
    Where flexible cords or cables are more than 4 m from the electrical equipment that they
    supply, or are not in view of the person using the electrical equipment, they shall be—
    (a) provided with suitable protection against, or located where they are not subjected
    to, mechanical damage, damage by liquids or high temperature; or
    (b) supported off the floor or ground on stands or hangers covered with material that
    is non-conducting and will prevent mechanical damage to the cable.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Overhead extension cord on a wire https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffs_pens/8620254589/
    CHRIS

Mobyturns is online now In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Electrical extension cords present a number of hazards in the workshop / shed - including hanging leads from overhead supports. Some of us are fairly tall .

The slip & trip hazards associated with extension leads are fairly well known, and important to avoid for us "older folk." Cliff mentioned the cable overheating when left coiled or placed in positions where there is little air movement around the cable. It is also important to select & use an extension lead with heavy gauge conductors as many of the cheapies are not up to the continuous current loads that our wood working machinery draws. Overly long runs of extension leads will suffer voltage drop due to impedance (could be as much as 40 v over 100 m) and can potentially damage machinery & power tools.

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0/...C_11_4685).PDF
    https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/__da...4/es-leads.pdf
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

I run lights as well as extension leads overhead on wires.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/running-light-31181
    Regards,
    Bob

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.