Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Girl cave

It's worthwhile having a look in the Handymans Trading Post in Fyshwick - I picked up some brand new 10 and 15 amp Clipsal brand pendant power point fittings from there, for about $20 each.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoride View Post
    Ah, yes, flying fox setup. I did see that on someone's thread a while ago. Makes a lot of sense and my ceiling is 2.7m so would work.

Also good tip on lighting as I won't really know where I need it until I work out the layout.
    good thread. You might not have seen it at my "studio", but I use an outdoor pot holder (a 60cm long S like hook) and a short bungee from the $2 shop. It holds a power cord, the Festool vacuum hose and the Festool universal plug in one bundle.

I can move the hook to a rafter near the job (it lives in the exact centre 98% of the time above the TS)... The bungee is hooked onto itself like a noose and retracts the bundle upwards when not being used. It gives me power and auto suction in one bundle... No cords on the ground to twist my gympie knee

I like Bobs idea for the non-hard wired lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanism View Post
    good thread. You might not have seen it at my "studio", but I use an outdoor pot holder (a 60cm long S like hook) and a short bungee from the $2 shop. It holds a power cord, the Festool vacuum hose and the Festool universal plug in one bundle. I can move the hook to a rafter near the job (it lives in the exact centre 98% of the time above the TS)... The bungee is hooked onto itself like a noose and retracts the bundle upwards when not being used. It gives me power and auto suction in one bundle... No cords on the ground to twist my gympie knee
    If you make flying fox for your flying extension lead strong enough you can hang the DC hose of that as well.

A variant on both is to use a 2: diam poly pipe between the rafters and hook off that. I don't have room for this in my shed but I have used this at a friends place and it works really well.

You may not need it in Canberra but I had a ceiling fan installed in the middle of my shed when it was built.

Quote Originally Posted by old1955 View Post
    You may not need it in Canberra but I had a ceiling fan installed in the middle of my shed when it was built.
    We do get summer days of 40+ deg occasionally but I do have a free air conditioner unit that I had pulled out for a renovation I did recently - never let a chance go by I say.

Yippee! Construction starts tomorrow...

Glad to see it coming together. Make sure you post plenty of pics, you know the rule, No pics, Didn't happen.

I hope to take plenty of pics. Might be a tad tricky as I am on crutches having fractured my leg and wrecked my knee skiing last Sunday - but this will be wonderfully distracting

...ah, as I was typing this the other dude came to check the slab for the garden shed so that is going up next week. And sparky phoned yesterday and is all lined up. Love it when a plan comes together

Looking forward to pics. Hoe the fractire heals well

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Well after a cold, wet and windy weekend (and beginning of week) with limited number of suitable hours we have lift off...

Lid went on the carport first earlier in the week and I come home tonight to find that a workshop has started to rise from the soil.

Sparky has been located with initial discussions over the phone. Once I have the shell up he will come around and chat further.

20150806_172538.jpg20150806_172409.jpg20150806_172329.jpg20150806_172300.jpg

You are going to have a great setup when its finished
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

I'm jealous

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Looking Good.

Default Make it Comfy

Whatever you do Jane, don't forget to insulate the walls and ceiling/roof. There's nothing worse than wanting to get out in the Shed and it's either too bloody hot or cold. You might wanna get a small/medium sized rev- cycle split system air cond put in. You wouldn't need a monster and they're not too expensive.

Lets ts face it, we all work better when we're nice n comfy.

Best at of luck....Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by daryl@kit-chens View Post
    Whatever you do Jane, don't forget to insulate the walls and ceiling/roof. There's nothing worse than wanting to get out in the Shed and it's either too bloody hot or cold. You might wanna get a small/medium sized rev- cycle split system air cond put in. You wouldn't need a monster and they're not too expensive.

Lets ts face it, we all work better when we're nice n comfy.

Best at of luck....Daryl
    Yep, have the equivalent of R4 in the walls and ceiling being installed. Also a near-new split a/c which I had pulled out of my mum-in-law's retirement unit that I renovated a few months ago. Large sliding doors are double-glazed and facing north. Front 'porch' will get the afternoon sun in winter and shaded in summer - place for a cup of tea or cider

I only wanted this build to happen if it was a place that can be enjoyed all year round. And we certainly need that here in Canberra with the extremes of temperatures!

I was told late yesterday arvo that the windows that arrived were the wrong colour. Re-order cannot be done until Monday. Not sure how long the manufacturer will take but they expect the factory should be able to prioritise it. Sigh...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast