Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Girl cave

Default Girl cave

We have lift off! Well Plan A wasn't working with a builder who wouldn't communicate as required and price was escalating so we went to Plan B - prefab carport and workshop, and organising concreter ourselves. We found a shed company who could build precisely to approved plan measurements and for a good price they will also construct, insulate and line.

After being swamped with over 50 responses to gumtree ad for free carport, the old carport was pulled down and removed on the weekend.

Work started today on site preparation.

Jane

20150420_111010 - sml.jpg20150419_132224 sml.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Congrats looking forward to the build pics
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Don't forget to arrange power to it... now is a good time to plan on laying down a nice big conduit to pull cables through.

And whatever size it is, make it bigger...

Power trenches planned from house to carport, conduit through slab and then another trench across to workshop.

I would to to make things bigger but there's a house in the way!

have to second the power conduit sizing, when I first though about my container I was only setting up for single phase from the main switch board, the electrician convinced me to run 3 @ 10mm/2, neutral and earth. I was able to pick up that size, new from a scrap metal merchant. it was what was left on the reel with a little spare, 20MT of 80mm heavy duty orange @ 1200mm deep it was well worth it

Ahh yes, love a good shed build thread. Subscribed.

Demolish part of the house. Surely you don't absolutely need it all? Problem solved

Agree strongly on getting the biggest size mains possible to the shed, and several 15A GPOs
    regards,

Dengy

Thanks for the heads up on conduit sizing to lay. I am yet to talk to the electrician about requirements but will ensure that I speak with the concreter before the conduit is put down.

Default Sorry

Sorry I may have missed it, but for what purpose is the shed to be used for, not that you need one, just curious before I offer any advice or my opinion
    Cheers
    Willy

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Sorry I may have missed it, but for what purpose is the shed to be used for, not that you need one, just curious before I offer any advice or my opinion
    Cheers
    Willy
    Not sure how to answer this one... Ahhh, woodworking?? I did have an earlier post re workshop when I was more newbie than I am now. Moving the lathe and bandsaw out of the glass house, set up the permanently (since I received them last year) folded up saw and router tables, reassemble the knocked down and to move all the wood and other tools out the bedroom in the house

Spoke to concreter yesterday and we are using 80mm conduit.

I have a workshop slab (and garden shed slab). Workshop surrounds and carport next. Slowly getting there. Only problem now is that I haven't heard back from shed/carport supplier after a number of phone messages and emails this past week!

Jane

slab.jpgcarport and slab.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoride View Post
    Not sure how to answer this one... Ahhh, woodworking?? I did have an earlier post re workshop when I was more newbie than I am now. Moving the lathe and bandsaw out of the glass house, set up the permanently (since I received them last year) folded up saw and router tables, reassemble the knocked down and to move all the wood and other tools out the bedroom in the house

Spoke to concreter yesterday and we are using 80mm conduit.

80mm conduit for electrizzity for a small shed seems a bit large, it certainly makes it easy to pull wires thru tho, I would think 25 or 32mm might be closer to the mark. Any particular reason for 80mm?
    Good going on the shed build, is good when things start happening.

Pete

We ended up with 2 @ 32(?) for the conduit. 3 lines from the house with one of those to carport/garage.

Jane
    Have you thought about running Ethernet to the shed as well? Not in the same conduit. I don't know if you can run it in the same pit.

I have Ethernet over power to my shed. Wonderful for listening to pandora. It can also be used as phone line if you don't want digital thingies mucking with the sawdust.

John

Thanks John. I hadn't thought of internet connection for workshop. I do have a mobile broadband device that I can use when the need arises so probably will be OK. I hadn't heard of Pandora so thanks for that. I tend to be an ABC junkie so will probably be listening to News Radio, the local ABC or the footy on Grandstand.

Just saw the shed guys yesterday when they came to measure the slabs. Construction of workshop and carport is expected to be 20 July. I had better organise a sparky and start thinking about power configuration - eeek!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast