Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Girl cave

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoride View Post
    Yep, have the equivalent of R4 in the walls and ceiling being installed. Also a near-new split a/c which I had pulled out of my mum-in-law's retirement unit that I renovated a few months ago. Large sliding doors are double-glazed and facing north. Front 'porch' will get the afternoon sun in winter and shaded in summer - place for a cup of tea or cider

I only wanted this build to happen if it was a place that can be enjoyed all year round. And we certainly need that here in Canberra with the extremes of temperatures!

I was told late yesterday arvo that the windows that arrived were the wrong colour. Re-order cannot be done until Monday. Not sure how long the manufacturer will take but they expect the factory should be able to prioritise it. Sigh...
    I hope that your 'equivalent to R-4' is not that foil bubble warp on the outside under the purlins and under the roof? It is in fact barely R-1 and no more effusive than standard foil wrap and dearer. There are no R-rating 'equivalents' - there are defined ways to determine the R-rating and that rating must be shown on all insulation. Under the roof is needed to prevent condensation - a big problem in steel sheds in Canberra & elsewhere.

To get actual R-4 you'll need batts or foam sheeting - of batts of course you need to line the inside, but perhaps that's what you were planning to do anyway. If you do line and have insulation in the walls it must not touch the foil sheet - or else the R-rating of the foil sheeting goes to zero (as it only works if there is an airspace of at least 25mm between the reflective surface and the next surface (batts, from or the inner all etc).

Plenty of info on this here in the two guides: Part 1 http://icanz.org.au/wp-content/uploa....1.2015_hr.pdf AND Part 2 http://icanz.org.au/wp-content/uploa...ember-2013.pdf

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Using this under the cladding of roof and walls http://m.kingspaninsulation.com.au/a...nsulbreak.html and fibreglass batts inside that.

Shed construction is finished. Did one coat of paint today on all the walls with help from my daughter (polyurethane plus white to give it a limed effect). I got the paint last weekend but after 3 coats on some scrap I went back yesterday to double the white additive (so lost a week there)

Got a quote from a sparky last week so I just need to decide on number of power points (then multiply by 2 or was that 3?). Trying to get the painting finished before he comes in. Floor was pavecoated last week by the concrete dude and has come up a treat. Photos below are pre-paint.

20150920_171157.jpg20150920_171138.jpg

Space to the left of the shed in photo below is for the dust extraction enclosure. Ducting will come through wall high and to left of window. The concreter is nagging me for the size I want for the slab which is why my questions in the Dust Extraction section. The slab will also hold the aircon unit which will be under the window.

20150920_171225.jpg

And the inside of workshop...
    20150920_171416.jpg20150920_171404.jpg

...and bike/ski storage room and home for laser cutter.
    20150920_171453.jpg

Looks soooooo good!

Looking good

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Default Electrical work underway

I've found a fantastic sparky - easy to communicate with, happy to discuss options, flexible.

The carport is finished and the store room and workshop should be finished by tomorrow arvo. Just waiting on me making up my mind about the dusty and how to connect it to w/s, and aircon guys to do their bit before he does that wiring.

As suggested by fellow forumites:
    • overhead lights in w/s plugins and movable
    • 2x15As for dusty and 'other' - we will rig up a cable across the middle of the ceiling to cater for the 15A extension to middle of room and dusty hose
    • data port into storeroom for wireless router

Oh, and painting all done. White ceilings and 'limed' polyurethane for walls to keep some of the timber look.

20151013_163559.jpg20151013_163622.jpg20151013_163700.jpg20151013_163723.jpg

I thought it was illegal to have lights on the floor . That aside, turning my laptop upside down makes it look great. Should be plenty of chips flying soon.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    I thought it was illegal to have lights on the floor . That aside, turning my laptop upside down makes it look great. Should be plenty of chips flying soon.
    Kryn
    Dont they call them 'up lights'

Looking good

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Hmmm. Very strange. All photos are right way up on my laptop and PC. Thumbnails also fine on iPad but there the enlarged photos are screwed.

Right way up on mine too, may be they are reading like the guy with running nose and smelling feet, upside down.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

This is how it came up when i clicked on it

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

I like the little garden shed to the side - I've been rather disappointed with the aesthetics of the standard Bunnies/Home Hardware sheds...you wouldn't happen to have any more pics of that wee beastie so I can get some ideas to rip off be inspired by??? (Basically trying to figure out how they've done the doors).

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I like the little garden shed to the side - I've been rather disappointed with the aesthetics of the standard Bunnies/Home Hardware sheds...you wouldn't happen to have any more pics of that wee beastie so I can get some ideas to rip off be inspired by??? (Basically trying to figure out how they've done the doors).
    You can come around and check it out if you like. Better than sending photos that don't answer your questions. I'll PM you

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoride View Post
    Hmmm. Very strange. All photos are right way up on my laptop and PC. Thumbnails also fine on iPad but there the enlarged photos are screwed.
    I thought my dinosauric Dell was playing up but i see other folk facing same issue.Just watch out for lights growing from the floor. Needless to say though a really great build.

Here in Canada, I see the lights hanging from what I will assume is the ceiling.

One fine point is to have lights which actually illuminate the work you're doing.
    There's a single light bulb in the middle of my shop ceiling. All work stations (miter saw, band saw, drill press) have dedicated lights.
    There are others that can be added.
    For wood carving, I have an 18W (44LED) focussed lamp on a 48" articulated arm. Illuminating the walls and storage shelves at the same time doesn't help at all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234