Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Router Collet - Swap Metric for Imperial

Hi all,

I purchased a second-hand Makita trim router (N3701) and naively assumed it would have a 1/4" collet. The router runs and seems to be a sturdy little thing--I bought it from a cabinet shop that was closing down--but guess what, it won't take a 1/4" bit.

I see the manual I downloaded from Makita indicates this is a 1/4" router so I'm wondering if the collet was replaced or the machine originated from Europe. Either way, I paid $100 for the thing so I'm keen to find a solution.

I guess I could find a suitable router bit--Carbatec suggested it would be 8mm but I've also seen 6.4mm shanks--but do you think I could just order a replacement 1/4" "collet cone"?

$6 + $10 shipping from here: http://www.cdaets.com.au/Tools-Power...akita/763608-8

$26 from here: http://www.toolspareparts.com.au/pag...3701spareparts (item #19)

Many thanks in advance, you knowledgeable folks!

Michael

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Standard metric size for trimmers would be 6mm, a few of the latest more powerful units might also accommodate 8mm collets, but that is more in the line of small routers 900-1200W. Examples that can handle 8mm that I can think of are the Taurus (Aldi) router and a small fixed base style Makita.
    Oz uses imperial shanks so our standard would be 1/4" (6.35mm). I suspect that your collet is a 1/4" unit that has be tightened without a bit installed which deforms them and makes it difficult or impossible to install a bit. A simple test would be to completely remove the collet and try to install a bit part way from the tail end of the collet instead of the nose. If the bit won't enter at all, it is a metric collet, if it will enter part way and withdraw easily, but require more effort to enter all the way and grips the collet on withdrawal, it will be a deformed 1/4" collet.

Either way, I would buy the $6 + postage local replacement part. Make sure you never use a tool to tighten the collet assembly unless there is a 1/4" shank bit installed.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Hi Michael, You don't say if you have tried to measure the collet diameter? I suspect that Malb is right and they have been running 6mm end mills in this trimmer. If this is the case it should be fairly obvious if you have a good look at the collet and nut. Will a 1/4" bit fit snugly in the nut with the collet removed?
    If it is an odd size, 6mm or 8mm, there are options, but probably not to accommodate your existing range of 1/4" shank bits. A limited range of 6mm straight bits is readily available as are 6mm to 4mm, 1/8" and 3mm collets. The problem is that you're pretty much limited to solid carbide straight bits.
    Hope this helps.
    David

Default Second Hand N3701

Michhes,
    I also bought a second hand N3701 trim router - it does have a 1/4inch/6mm collet. Makita do still support them all they need is the model and part number - or you could use the places you have listed.
    But once you have it sorted you should have no trouble with it, they are a great unit that takes the knocks and keeps on giving good reliable service.
    You can also buy parts for them (edge guides etc) from Chinese sites it you don't have the full set of attachments.

regards
    Smithy

Thanks all for your replies. I got the calipers out and the cone does in fact measure 6.35mm. I then measured the shank on what I thought was my 1/4" router bit... I knew it wasn't a 1/2" shank because all my other bits are 1/2". Turns out it was a 3/8" bit (go figure!). Thought it looked a little bit on the fat side \

So I'm a numpty and just need to find a 1/4" bit to test again.

Doh!

Welcome to the club Michael we've all been there! Yeah 3/8 is pretty fat compared to 1/4, but how many 3/8 shank bits are there out there, not many. I certainly don't own any even though I have a 1/2 to 3/8 collet reducer!!! If all your fixes are that easy you're going to have a sweet life. Cheers.