Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Rust Protection for Cast Iron

Can anyone recommend a system or product they use for protecting cast iron surfaces? Specifically I have a bandsaw table and some hand planes that seem to struggle with the humidity in Perth these days. I've seen some recommendations for products that are hard to find in Australia, I wondered if maybe a local might be able to recommend me something.

Thanks in advance!

OOPS nevermind, seems there are like 8,000 posts on this exact topic. Will try some Paste Wax once Carbatec opens again.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default The Rust.

Hi Mooncabbage,
    You don't have to live in Perth for your Tools to rust, as mine get a bit of rust, here in Geelong, Vic.
    Most of my Tools are in Wooden Draws, & I've just found out that I can throw in quite a few grains of Rice, & that apparently soaks the moisture.
    As for your B/S Table, well mine doesn't get a chance to rust, as it used a couple of times a day, & I don't cover it.
    Maybe you could make a wooden cover to fit the table with a bit of towel sprayed with a Lanolin Based Product, that wood last a fair while.
    Only thing is, you wood have to put it in place every night.
    My Tough Lathe cops a bit of rust, so I just use 2 Towels, & that seems to work for me.
    Wellthatsmy2senseworth.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Camellia oil is a tried & true prophylactic for handplanes & the like. Available from various outlets incl. Carbatec.

I use Inox spray or Lanotec on my Planer thicknesser bed, and occasionally some beeswax to assist timber to glide over the cast iron tables. Inox is also useful with stainless steel wool (Curly Girl) pads to clean off surface corrosion. Don't be tempted to use WD40, CRC & the like as these are water based & in themselves corrosive, nor standard steel wool for the same reason.

An old gunsmith friend of mine said that WD40 & CRC were the best thing ever to happen to his business: i.e. caused trouble & grief to gun owners which require repairs.
    Sycophant to nobody!

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

A liberal coat of whatever wax you use for timber, and don't buff it off.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncabbage View Post
    Can anyone recommend a system or product they use for protecting cast iron surfaces? Specifically I have a bandsaw table and some hand planes that seem to struggle with the humidity in Perth these days. I've seen some recommendations for products that are hard to find in Australia, I wondered if maybe a local might be able to recommend me something.

Thanks in advance!

OOPS nevermind, seems there are like 8,000 posts on this exact topic. Will try some Paste Wax once Carbatec opens again.
    Greetings,

If your corrosion problems are being caused by high humidity, or by salt laden air being blown in from the ocean, then you may find that Paste Wax will not cut the mustard. Paste Wax is good at corrosion protection on cast iron in relatively dry climates, but in the presence of prolonged high humidity, or in the presence of salt laden air, you'll find paste wax to be lacking.

Have at look at the following post (if you haven't seen it already). https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...54#post1815054 In that post, I've linked to a review of cast iron corrosion prevention treatments that was done by Fine Woodworking Magazine, and I've also detailed some of my own experiments.

Regards,

RoyG
    Manufacturer of the Finest Quality Off-Cuts.

I have't tried the CRC 3-36, and will do so. However, my workshop is quite close to the water here in Brisbane so corrosion is a constant problem. I have been using either blocks of paraffin wax (candle wax) rubbed on then spread and evened with a green scourer. That is pretty good for less-used gear but time consuming. The other product that works for me is a Felder/Hammer spray called Super Gleit. That product is said to not affect timber finishes and it helps timber to slide on the surfaces but is about $40 or so for a 500 ml spray bottle.
    I will get some of the 3-36 and compare it.