Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New Router Table and Triton TR001

Hi All,

For 20 years I've used a homemade router table with a Makita 3600BR router. It has served me well, but it's pretty agricultural and I can no longer live with the noise the Makita makes. Also, the ¼" aluminium top has had a slight but significant bow in it since Day 1. So it's time to treat myself to something better.

I plan on keeping the steel base and replacing the aluminium top with 32mm MDF and solid timber edging.

This router plate looks nice (albeit expensive): http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/a...on-routers-(2)
    Does anyone have one of these or can recommend another brand?

Another option I am considering is routing a pocket in the underside of the table leaving about 12mm of table thickness to mount the router to. I saw this idea mentioned by FenceFurniture in another thread. This seems like a good idea. I guess inserts could be bought/made with different hole sizes to suit various router bits? Are there any drawbacks with this method of router mounting?

Can someone please recommend a sturdy fence? I don't want to spend $100's. I don't need Incra-style indexing. I don't do finger jointing. The fence needs to be easy to adjust and STURDY. I'm happy to make one if anyone has a good design they are prepared to share.

Can someone please confirm that the current model of the TR001 has thru-table height adjustment? This is mentioned quite a lot on various forums, but is not listed as a feature in the router's specs.

Is something like this a worthwhile addition? http://www.carbatec.com.au/kreg-combo-trak_c21086

The best price I can find for the TR001 is $319 with free delivery from Timberbits. Has anyone seen it cheaper?

I should add that I have a Luna spindle moulder which I very rarely use as it is inconvenient to set up and it scares the daylights out of me. However it is there if I need to make really heavy cuts.

I'd appreciate any tips you can offer to someone about to upgrade their router table.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have the tra001 permantly setup in my router table along with the woodpeckers router plate. I picked up the router plate while in the states late last year while the dollar was trading much higher, its considerably more expensive now when bought over here.

The plate is quite nice, all of the holes line up with the triton routers. Mine was flat. There is a hole in the plate which lines up with the router height adjustment, so u can raise the router collet above the table to change bits. In th end though, its essentially just a flat piece of aluminium with holes in it..200bux is a bit much I reckon.

I dont have a fancy fence. I just use a straight piece of mdf clamped to the table. If I need to do any jointing operations such as the glue finger joint, I just cut a straight piece of mdf, then cut half the length 1mm less width. Then drill a hole to give the cutter clearance. Its a pretty cheap n nasty way to go about things, but functions flawlessly.

Timberbits is the cheapest price I have seen

Hi Kuffy,
    Thanks for the feedback.

I agree a router fence doesn't need to be fancy. It doesn't even need to be parallel to the bit, unlike a saw table fence. My current fence is a piece of 75mm aluminium angle with a tall piece of 19mm MDF screwed to it. I might even keep that and just clamp it to the table as you do with yours.

Chris

This Kreg router table insert is a lot cheaper than the Woodpecker. It's ⅜" phenolic rather than aluminium and would need to be drilled. Has anyone here got one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kreg-Tool...item20e2ff9cdf

Edit: this one is pre-drilled for the TR001. Same price ($85 delivered to Oz).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kreg-PRS3...item58afbcb3ea

I bought a few of these Woodhaven router plates a while back when the dollar was stronger. I think I paid about $26, current price $US32.
    They're phenolic and undrilled but they also offer a model drilled to suit the Triton routers.
    Cutting a hole isn't too hard, especially if you have access to a CNC router

http://www.woodhaven.com/Woodhaven-L.../dp/B002LTWGBO

Thanks Snowy. I don't have a CNC router, but I can bore a hole using the backing plate on my metal lathe. I can turn a rebate for inserts too!

The current model TRA001 does have through the table height adjustment. But you should make sure you are getting current stock. Also, you could buy a Triton router plate - this allows you to clip the router in and out if you need to.

The Kreg is wonderful.

I've the predrilled for the TRA001, but also a spare undrilled BNIB and unused. (buy me! It says!)

There is also the lifter from Bench Standard I ordered a few months ago sitting in its box to be mounted up.... The Festool OF1100 was going under that. It was going to live at the opposite side of the table saw for my box making operations.

Doug Stowe, the writer of the fabulous book on Box Making has only a basic router mounted under a bit of ply, all bolted to the end of his bench, with a length of wood that swings from a pivot for his fence.

The idea of the fence is that very fine control over distance can be achieved by swinging one end a mm translates into some microscopic fraction at the cutter. It pivots on one end and is simply clamped with a quick-grip on the other....all VERY low budget!

Thanks Evanism,
    Yesterday I bought the TRA001 (latest model) and the pre-drilled Kreg plate. I'll get some Kreg levellers from Carbatec and I'm set.
    Chris

Chris, look at what I did with the Kreg router plate and Triton router. It works really well.
    Les
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f20/router-table-built-193332

Les,
    very nice job. I won't be making mine that elaborate, but you've given me some ideas. I see you provided support for the long edge of the Kreg insert. I was going to do exactly the same.

I like the fence. Pity it's so expensive. I should have bought it 2 years ago!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jack620 View Post
    Les,
    very nice job. I won't be making mine that elaborate, but you've given me some ideas. I see you provided support for the long edge of the Kreg insert. I was going to do exactly the same.

I like the fence. Pity it's so expensive. I should have bought it 2 years ago!

Chris
    Yes, the fence is expensive. It is partially offset by the impending sale of the Triton router table.
    Not sure if the extra support was required for the Kreg plate, but did it just in case. My usual style of over engineering everything.
    What will be more important than anything else will be the flatness of the top you use. I bought an offcut of a commercial type of top from a cabinet manufacturer (Proform). Cost was about $30 but is excellent value as it is smoothe and very robust.
    Les