Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Advice on handling and using Accacia Timber

We have an Accacia tree that will need to be removed. It had 3 trunks/branches growing from just above ground. One had drooped down and was in the way so I removed it. Now another one has split off fromm the tree and needs removing. As there is not a whole lot left now we have decided to take it all out. It has long narrow leaves (phyllodes I guess) and yellow flowers. Other than that I don't know what species it is.

The timber is a nice deep red brown and has some nice figuring from what I have seen of it. (firewood) Rather than cutting it up for firewood like the previous lot I would like to do something with the timber. There is not a lot so just a few small projects.

One thing I thought of was making cutting boards. Is there any issue with using accacia for these. A clock would be another option.

I would like to know how I should handle the timber. I will be cutting it into sections of similar diameter and slabbing it with a chainsaw. I will probably knock up a tempory mill. Less than metre lengths is all I am likely to get in usable sizes.

After slabbing, what is the best way to deal with it. The reason I am asking this is because of the short lengths. They may be as small as 300-400mm. There is a nice looking trunk base bit left from the last cleanup that is bent sharply, maybe 200mm x 300mm cross section.

Should I rough out before allowing to dry or just let it dry first?

Is it feasible to stack small variable lengths like this for drying as per normal methods. I have lots of imported oak, flat 8mm thick x 50-80mm wide and square 20mm x 20mm to be used as battens for stacking.

I would like suggestions on how people would deal with this themselves and also what things they would use this timber for.

I can provide more specific information on the tree if required. I will look at the pods and see if I can identify it. I dont believe it is a local species.

Dean

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

No such thing as a bad acacia . Do you know anyone with a decent bandsaw, just 200x300 xsection could be done on one better than chainsaw. Make sure the ends are sealed, with timber sealer, or if that isn't available use wax or even PVA. Old paint can also be used but the others are better. Cut it into say 30mm slabs and stack it with stickers and strap it together with ratchet straps.

Give it a year then thickness them down to around 20mm for your cutting board
    Neil

I had no luck with identification. My book (Costermans) only covers SE Australia. I'm not that concerned.

Thanks for your advice Neil. Makes good sense. I don't have access to a band saw. I don't know of anyone who owns one except I have been told one of the neighbours has a band saw mill. Considering what I have seen of his work I think this job may be a bit small. I would like a band saw. I have considered making a 3 wheel one. I do have a little metal cutting horizontal band saw but that is useless for this.

Dean