Thread: Gearbox problem

Default Gearbox problem

Recently discovered oil leak coming from gearbox (near the drive shaft)
    Strange sound has developed also so i am guessing Seals and Bearings need replacing.
    Looking for a mechanic that is well versed in fixing Bondioli & Pavesi Gearboxes
    After speaking with Lucas,slight chance that it could be fixed,at least for a period of time.
    After all,this unit has done a lot of work over the years and is possibly at the end of its life.
    Still,hoping someone out there is skilled to repair it.
    Preferably from the Sunshine Coast
    Otherwise i am up for $1200 newbie ...'Murphy' hard at work again ...MM
    Mapleman

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

BUGGA Just what you don't need right now. I don't know anything about them, but if I were closer I'd take a look for you.
    Keep smiling, people will think you've been up to no good. Hope it's an easy fix.
    Regards
    Kryn

As far as I know they aren't an easy fix.

For the original gearbox that is a whole heaps of years for $1,200.

Lucas are doing shows up here at the moment, you might be able to dodge freight if you order one, they could bring it up on the way to a show?

Also you would do away with that grease nipple which would give you the chance of even longer life in the new unit
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

Nothing hard about putting in new seals or doing new gears.... even if the old ones need a weld touch up and refacing. I've done it 100 times on old gearboxes for VW's, Holdens and ride on lawnmowers.

I'd imagine any gearbox or differential mechanic/centre could do it easily. Its just a matter of ordering the right parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanism View Post
    Nothing hard about putting in new seals or doing new gears.... even if the old ones need a weld touch up and refacing. I've done it 100 times on old gearboxes for VW's, Holdens and ride on lawnmowers.

I'd imagine any gearbox or differential mechanic/centre could do it easily. Its just a matter of ordering the right parts.
    Only problem is, these gearboxes have been internally modified by Lucas making them not so 'fix friendly' ...MM
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by MAPLEMAN View Post
    Only problem is, these gearboxes have been internally modified by Lucas making them not so 'fix friendly' ...MM
    Hi Mike, are you going by what they say or from someone who knows, as I doubt that it could be modified to be not so 'fix friendly'.
    From what you say it sounds like one of the bearings has let go with the strange noises, either that or one of the gears slid on the shaft or broken a tooth.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    Hi Mike, are you going by what they say or from someone who knows
    Kryn
    Going by what the man himself said(Warren Lucas).The modifications were made in order to maintain the integrity of the unit given its heavy work load.I found the technical reasoning a little difficult to digest,intellectually!Hence,i refuse to meddle with it,and finding someone who is competent and capable of fixing it may be a challenge ...MM
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by Sigidi View Post
    As far as I know they aren't an easy fix.

Correct! Have had that many BAD experiences with mechanics in the past 6 months that i am very dubious about getting it repaired,but don't have $1200 lying around either to purchase a new one...i think i need a coffee and some time in the 'think tank'...MM
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by MAPLEMAN View Post
    Correct! Have had that many BAD experiences with mechanics in the past 6 months that i am very dubious about getting it repaired,but don't have $1200 lying around either to purchase a new one...i think i need a coffee and some time in the 'think tank'...MM
    To be honest, as far as I've experienced and been told, it just isn't something you can do. After needing a replacement on my model 6 gearbox and having the 'install process' explained to me, I am still stuffed as to how the gearbox can even get put together.

I might have a solution to your "don't have $1,200 lying around issue" do you have logs? Admittedly given your predicament, you can't slice your way to the dollars, but you could offload logs to get the dollars...I'm looking for a load or 10...
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigidi View Post
    To be honest, as far as I've experienced and been told, it just isn't something you can do. After needing a replacement on my model 6 gearbox and having the 'install process' explained to me, I am still stuffed as to how the gearbox can even get put together.

I might have a solution to your "don't have $1,200 lying around issue" do you have logs? Admittedly given your predicament, you can't slice your way to the dollars, but you could offload logs to get the dollars...I'm looking for a load or 10...
    Plan a) Sell some sawn stuff... Plan b) Sell some saw log...and if these actions fail i'll go to Plan c)Jump off bridge !
    Already miss the sound of the old beast humming its way through the log ...am having severe withdrawal symptoms(lack of sleep,dry sweats,too much time on the forum,clean socks,the list goes on )...and its only been a week.Will keep you updated on the logs Allan...MM
    Mapleman