Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Show Us Your Planes May 2015

During a recent shop rearrangement, I took out my user planes from a cupboard to rub them over with an oily rag.
    Not in the photo are extras, another three R044s, two R050s, another R405, another R043, another R085, three S4s, two S71s, two S78s, two S79s, and some assorted S blocks.

No, ... I am not a collector.

For your amusement, mike

Planes 2015 DSC01795.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mike48 View Post
    .No, ... I am not a collector.
    Nice COLLECTION all the same

Cheers

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Lovely collection. It's that Stanley razor blade plane that doesn't belong there though

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    Lovely collection. It's that Stanley razor blade plane that doesn't belong there though

TT
    You'd be surprised. I've been refinishing the hollow core doors in our house and the masonite /hardboard plane I have has really been a help.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post

TT
    Yeah, I cringed when I saw that RB10 there as well. Would you believe there's a 2nd hand shop here that wants $45 for one?

How do you find the Record 778 compares to the Stanley 78? The Record retails about a third higher in price, is it worth the extra dosh?

The Record 778 has 2 advantages over the 78.
    It uses 2 rods to attach to the fence, unlike the 78 which uses a single rod. So once set, the fence stays parallel to the plane better than on a 78, as the fence can't twist.
    The 778 also uses a screw adjuster to set the depth which is better than the flimsy lever adjuster on the 78.
    Some of the later 778 I've seen had paint on the bearing surface under the blade.
    This can prevent the blade from bedding nicely and difficult for the adjusting wheel to engage the blade. I assume this wasn't always the case and can be fixed with a file.
    I'm not sure if this is a problem on 78s.

Quote Originally Posted by rob streeper View Post
    You'd be surprised. I've been refinishing the hollow core doors in our house and the masonite /hardboard plane I have has really been a help.
    I can't talk of course. I picked one up at a car boot sale for $10.00 a few years ago and for the life of me could not get it to work. Way too much chatter. I could see it working on Masonite or balsa wood though.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Quote Originally Posted by mike48 View Post
    Not in the photo are extras, another three R044s, two R050s, another R405, another R043, another R085, three S4s, two S71s, two S78s, two S79s, and some assorted S blocks.

No, ... I am not a collector.
    I can see how some people might get confused and accuse you of being a hoarder, one of the symptoms of which is having multiple versions of the same item. Should you wish to dispel the myth of being bitten by the collection bug I'm happy for you to store some of the extra copies at my place

I have a mate who travels to India regularly and on a whim got him to buy a load of Anant planes which are blatent copies of Stanley and Record planes. I have #7 jointer, a 78 rebate, a bullnose rebate, a #52 plough, a 45 combination and a 60 1/2 block. They are all a bit average! Good blades but that's about it! Anyway, one of the issues with the 78 is that the nicker is of a type I've never come across before; it's a round cone that lives in a countersunk hole.... and isn't remotely flush with the side of the plane. The assembly works OK for planing with the grain only. I was considering getting a new Stanley or Record one because the few second hand Stanley's I see are usually either broken or missing too many bits. I like the look of the Record and have spotted the improvements over the 78, you didn't disparage either of them so I think I'll be looking to find someone who stocks 778's.

Hi all

The RB10 I got for a song at a garage sale, but have used it only once with mixed results.
    Not having a larger carriage rebate, I now usually just use a 78 or 778 as a large rebate.

The Record 778 is a revelation over a 78.
    I bought this new from Carbatec when traditional Record were still afloat, and was a good purchase.
    Rough out of the box.
    I remember spending some time taking all the rough production edges off it.
    Once set up, it is great to use.
    Worth every cent.
    The control of blade and fence is magic.
    Once used, you are hooked.

For taking corners off edges of soft material, I have a Record 735, which is not bad.

Here's another angle photo.

Shows the London Norris and, probably the greatest combination plane ever made,
    drum roll ....The Stanley 13-050 ...(later model made in England).

Planes now all oiled up and put away.
    The "collection" is just one of each that you need for normal work, and a few extras.

mike

DSC01794lo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tiff View Post
    Yeah, I cringed when I saw that RB10 there as well. Would you believe there's a 2nd hand shop here that wants $45 for one?

How do you find the Record 778 compares to the Stanley 78? The Record retails about a third higher in price, is it worth the extra dosh?
    Oops, I was thinking that there was a Stanley 193 or cousin in the mix and on closer examination I don't see what I thought I did at first. Seems those RB10's were sold mostly in the UK and Aus. Nonetheless my 193 does come in handy.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

G'day

I think that the Stanley 193 that Rob is "seeing" (between the RB10 and the Record 041), is actually the body of a (Swedish) Anchor 78, without depth stop or fence nor arms.
    Very similar to an S78.

There is actually a Record 735 in the box there, which I think is close in function to a Stanley 193.

mike

Here's my collection. All Stanley USA with 2 exceptions.

Back row, L-R:
    8, 8C, 7, 7C, 6 (made in UK before the quality went down), 6, 5 1/2C, 5C, 2x 5 1/4, 4 1/2 (my favourite bench plane), 4, 4C, 3, 3 (Type 2), 3C, 2

Front row L-R:
    Veritas NX60 (one of the best block planes on the market), 95, 2x 62, G6, G4, A6, A5

Front right lot L-R, F-B:
    99, 98, 71 (with original fence, depth stop and additional cutters), 102, 100 1/2, 80, 85, 20 1/2 (possibly the best compass plane ever made), 81

All with original Stanley irons, nearly all of the bench planes have the laminated iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Angry

here is just some of mine I have more but they are in storage boxes awaiting the shed lining being finished so I can make some cabinets to put them in
    20150531_091850.jpg20150531_091853.jpg20150531_091915.jpg
    regards Michael
    enjoy life we are only here a short time not a long time