Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: marking guages

Default marking guages

I just thought I would show these off. I had the need for a new marking guage and was too tight to pay $35 at the local hardware. So I spent the afternoon marking these, I thought if I was going to make one I might as well make four.
    The fence is made from an offcuts of fiddle back tas oak and the stock is from a piece of jarrah. The marking pin was made from an old number 20 rivet drill bit, which I placed in an 1/8 hole for a firm fit.
    If I was to make any changes in would reverse the direction of the locking wedge on the ones with the pencil, so that the fence could be moved closer to the pencil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nice work. Get yourself some prettier screws for holding your marker and you may have a part-timer.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

Nice work.
    You could add a bit of brass inlay on the otherwise of the fence and turn it around to get it close to the pencil.

Thanks guys,
    I agree with you rob, some nicer screws would finish them off, it was a case of using what I had. I thought a nice nurled brass screw would work well and make it easier to tighten without a screw driver.
    Hiroller, yes it would be easy enough to add brass to the opposing side of the fence. Or until I get the motivation I can use it with just the timber face.

Not a bad afternoons work they look great.
    A little more shine but that's just me

Agreed, not a bad afternoon's work at all! One needs a few gauges in the kit, I reckon. To avoid the retaining wedge getting in the way, you can put it crosswise in the stock. I can probably find a diagram somewhere if I look, but essentially, you drill the hole through the top edge of the beam hole. Take a matching dowel and cut out a wedge so that when you push it one way, it locks the beam, when you push it t'other way, it unlocks. Basically, the same as your present arrangement, but placed at 90 deg.

I have a few gauges, too: Mkng ggs.jpg

I admit it's a bit excessive, but these represent the evolution of my gauge-making ability, culminating in screw-operate mortising types. They all get used, at least sometimes.

You probably won't stop at four, either......

Cheers,
    IW

Jrock, some nice looking tools there.

Ian i like yours too. Next time I'm up your way i must get a your of your shed

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art