Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Looking great Keith, will you do the buffers and coupler assemblies before you start on the top section
    Hi Derek,

Thanks for your comments.

No, I will be doing those last. I am thinking of trying to make up a design so I can remove the buffer and coupling assemblies at both the back and front of the loco. The problem is my ute (not a Ford problem - there is never anything wrong with Fords) The tray is 1800mm long. When assembled the loco will be 1860mm coupling to coupling ends. I want to be able to transport it (maybe) at a later date and don't particularly want to hire a trailer. The Museum want me to take it up when complete so we can photograph in front of the original loco. I also want to display it at our Woodworking Club Exhibition next year.

I have started on the top chasis plate. On the original there are recess boxes where the wheels go through the chasis and are enclosed so they don't interfere with the side water tanks. I am working on these at the moment. Even though they won't be seen in the finished model, I wanted to build as close as original as I could. May have some photos of this tomorrow.

Loving doing this locomotive - trying to give some justice to the rusting loco at the museum.

Again thanks for your comments and hopefully photos tomorrow

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi All,

Been on and off the loco for the last 2 days. Tied up with looking after our grandson. I have been working on the chasis top plate and the wheel recesses in the plate. Also on the covers for the piston cylinders. You will see a few gaps in the plate joins at this stage as the top plate is just sitting there and has not been bolted down. This will be remedied later. I have put a photo of the loco beside my work to show where the water tanks and sand boxes will be located in comparison to when I am up to with my locomotive.

All the Best

Keith

chasis top plate2.jpg4-6-2 Tank locomotive reversed.jpg chasis top plate1.jpg

Hi Keith,
    Beautiful work as usual and thanks also for the pic of the prototype. It adds some real excitement to watching your masterpiece sneak up on it!

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Keith your model is coming along great.
    For a moment there I thought "Does the D4 have two air compressors, one on each side" and then I noticed you had reversed the image. If it was not for the number plate (and perhaps the background for those of us who know) I could have been completely caught off guard.

Looking forward to more images.

Kevin. Sorry about the confusion. I had taken the photo of model and decided to put in original photo as an after thought. Best photo of original was to reverse. A question. Can you advise me what the horizontal handle between the second and third drive wheel is for ? I can't find information on it. Regards Keith

Chassis is looking great now that you have put the photo of the train beside it (yes I also noticed the flipped photo) I guessed that it is the only way of getting a decent side view as the other side looks like you could not stand far enough back to get the side in.

Chassis is looking great now that you have put the photo of the train beside it (yes I also noticed the flipped photo) I guessed that it is the only way of getting a decent side view as the other side looks like you could not stand far enough back to get the side in.
    You are exactly correct there Derek, only a couple of metres between the loco and an old signal box.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    A question. Can you advise me what the horizontal handle between the second and third drive wheel is for ? I can't find information on it. Regards Keith
    Keith, without looking at the engine or another in the class, (D2, D3) I can not be certain. It will however be either a lever to dump ash from the ash pan, or to operate a section of dump grate to make cleaning or knocking out the fire easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Keith, without looking at the engine or another in the class, (D2, D3) I can not be certain. It will however be either a lever to dump ash from the ash pan, or to operate a section of dump grate to make cleaning or knocking out the fire easier.
    Kevin,

Thankyou - I will call it a dump lever. I am now working on this with a bearing assembly, linkages and shaft for my locomotive.

Appreciate your comments

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Hi All,

Here is my version of the dump lever assembly and linkages into the locomotive body. I used a piece of a spring off a clothes peg for my locating pin for the lever.

Regards

Keith

Dump Lever.jpg

Hi All,

Did a bit of work on the boiler. I am using PVC pipe for the main boiler section. I had some 160mm OD pipe. The 1/7th scale of the prototype locomotive requires the boiler to be 180mm OD. I cut my pipe longitudinally and made up 5 inner support discs - out of pine, and hammered these in. Te PVC doesn't like to be "stretched" to the 180mm OD. secured the discs with countersunk screws. Then cut out more pipe in longitudinal section and "filled" the gap. Secured with screws and then putty up gaps. Cleaned up very well. Then I primed it.
    Started to make the steam done. Laminated 6 pieces of pine and clamped and allowed to cure. Used wood lathe to bring to correct OD and the machined the dome section. Sanded out the base of the dome to suit curvature of boiler. I then made up a "dummy" section of boiler so I could secure the dome to it so I could attempt to make the dome flange. I had a bit of a lightning bolt idea. I would use papier mache to make the flange. Never used that before - even as a kid. Very messy. Used oil as my release agent on the PVC. Cut a 6mm flange with stanley knife and came off oK. Needs to dry a bit more - then will probably give it a slight coating of woodfiller (to give a bit more strength) and sand off.

Regards

Keith

Boiler.jpgSteam Dome1.jpgSteam Dome2.jpgSteam Dome3.jpgSteam Dome4.jpgSteam Dome5.jpgSteam Dome6.jpg

Hi All,

In between looking after our grandson today, did a bit more work on the steam dome. This is the first of two I will be making. The second will have the flange made out of bodyfiller instead of papier mache. Just wanted to see how this one came up and will then use the best one. I asked Handyjack a question on the colour of the steam dome. He did a bit of research for me (thanks mate) and the steam dome will be the colour of the livery of the locomotive. Think it looks quite OK. I have used my mock boiler to support the dome whilst painting.

Regards

Keith

Steam Dome painted.jpg

Love the steam dome. Nothing to do with my passio. For wood turning.

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

The dome looks good Keith. I am just sitting down to watch the Titfield Thunderbolt as it has just started on TV 10:00pm here

The dome looks good Keith. I am just sitting down to watch the Titfield Thunderbolt as it has just started on TV 10:00pm here
    Hi Derek,

Tell us what you think of the colour scheme they painted the poor old Lion for the movie - I didn't like it. I have watched the DVD many times. Added extra details for my build of the Lion.
    I had to buy a new TV/DVD combine so I could play the movie. Wrong area setting on DVD. Could only import from UK, but they said would be compliant to Aussie zone ???

Thanks for comment on dome.

Enjoy movie

Regards

Keith