Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Thanks for your kind words Derek,

Will keep it coming

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Started work on the main driving wheel leaf springs. To ensure ? I got them all the same I photocopied my drawings (yesterdays post) of the leaf spring (6 off) and then glued then onto 20mm MDF. Cut out the body and then the individual leaves and then glued them together. Started up a bit of a production run as can be seen in the photo. Slow work. Need to get all the components for the chasis made before I start on the chasis body. The chasis will be over 1500mm long.

Regards

Keith

Driving wheel leaf springs.jpg

Tickets please - please stay behind the yellow line for your safety. I am onboard for this journey.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Along for the ride Keith. You are stirring the wood dust in my head to want to build the 3 coaches for my train. But it will be hard to tear me away from my 64' Stepside right now. Look forward to this build. I enjoy the drawings and measurements almost as much as I do building the scale models.

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Along for the ride Keith. You are stirring the wood dust in my head to want to build the 3 coaches for my train. But it will be hard to tear me away from my 64' Stepside right now. Look forward to this build. I enjoy the drawings and measurements almost as much as I do building the scale models.
    Thanks for that.

Yes, back to old (very long ago) engineering days. This locomotive has lots of components that will require drawing up to manufacture. Looking forward to the compressor on the front and the inside cabin details. It will be an interesting journey for me.

Regards

Keith

PS. Would like to see you build the coaches for your train

Hi All,

Well I have made up the 6 driving wheel leaf springs and pretty happy with the outcome. They were fabricated out of MDF. The 6 need to be almost Identical and fit beneath the main drive wheel bearings. I am going to use these also as my bearing retainers, so that when I lift the locomotive the wheel bearings won't fall out. The leaf springs will be retained by 3/16th BSW studs that will be drilled into the main chasis and nuts. You can see this in the second photo where I have checked all the leaf springs to the assembly drawing to make sure the springs don't foul.
    I have also decided that because this is such a large and detailed build, I am going to prepare a bit of a Project Management Plan (they were OK to use at work). Each day before I start I will write down my plan for the day and what tasks I should achieve. Might sound a bit like work or a chore but I reckon it will make the build of the locomotive more structured and maybe less muckups. This suits me - probably doesn't suit lots of other people - that's me.
    Anyway happy with limited progress so far.
    Making up a template for cutouts for the drive wheel chasis cutouts and then onto the drive wheel and trailing wheel / front bogey bearings. These need to be made to ensure the bearings / axles line up when I assemble the chasis.

Regards

Keith

Drive Leaf Springs 2.jpgDrive Leaf springs1.jpg

A Project Management Plan!.
    That all sounds a bit official Charlie Brown.
    Somehow I think it would suit me as much as shoes!.
    But if you reckon its a good thing I'm sure it will work a treat for you.

Looking great so far.
    Have fun with it mate.

Cheers
    Trev.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default You're a good man Charlie Brown....

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post

Looking great so far.
    Have fun with it mate.

Cheers
    Trev.
    Sounds like an old time engineer with first class training steaming down the track.....like it...cheers Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post

Looking great so far.
    Have fun with it mate.

Cheers
    Trev.
    Trev,

When you visit I will show you how I use it. I haven't got your skills to be able to just put something together by just looking at it.

Cathie went through the cupboard and found some shoes You can try them on if you like

Anyway, after only a week I am loving this build, but maybe it is a bit big - marked out one side of the chasis but loco will fit beautifully on top of display cupboard. Someone might have to help me to lift it (Treecycle????)

I will be putting as much detail as I possibly can into this locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Sounds like an old time engineer with first class training steaming down the track.....like it...cheers Peter
    Love your puns Pete, Yes an "old time" engineer - trying to get my "youth" back, but gee I glad I am not working

Regards

Charlie (Keith)

Hi All,

I have been working on the chasis of this locomotive. I used 12mm MDF and tried to follow the profile as best as possible from the photos I took. I have done both left and right hand sides. I cut out the bearing slides and then used a gauge to ensure each bearing slide was exactly the same width. Basically it was a "go/no go" gauge that allows the bearings to slide and are interchangeable to any wheel bearing in the locomotive. The bearings I have made out of pine. I cut a 12.5mm groove down both sides of each bearing using my router and table. I needed to make up the bearings etc so that I can get my alignment correct when I assemble with the cross stays. These bearings move up and down in the bearing slides. I will have aluminium shafts through the bearings in situ to ensure alignment.
    The next thing will be getting my design work done on the drive wheel braking system. I need to do this to get chasis wheel clearances correct before I assemble the 2 sides of the chasis together.

I have added a photo of how the side of the chasis compares to the photo of the locomotive.

Regards

Keith

chasis1.jpgchasis2.jpg

Looking good so far Keith should be a great build OOOPS should have read it will be a great build

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Looking good so far Keith should be a great build OOOPS should have read it will be a great build

Thanks Derek,

Not much to show on the chasis photo wise. It is time consuming trying to get it looking realistic. Incorporating bolts and rivets into each side of the chasis before I assemble it. Making up "angle irons" to support the upper tanks. Then making up some bosses that will be the brake gear supports. I will hopefully have some photos tomorrow night. It is not easy just working off photos. It is a real challenge. Probably the most difficult build so far and just getting into it. The bigger the challenge - the more you improve - I hope

Regards

Keith

Hi,

Been a while coming, but I am now pretty happy with how the chasis is starting to look. This is about version 5. Again I have used decking nails as my "rivets", although these are a lot bigger than the ones I used on the Lion. It really does point out how small a locomotive the Lion is. I have included rivets, studs and the side tank support brackets as part of the chasis as I think it would be very difficult to do these as an "add-on" after I assemble the chasis. That being said, there is a multitude of "add on's" to be included (sand box, brakes etc), but these cannot be done before I have the chasis together and the wheels in place. I have made up my own compression springs on the front bogey, I used some 2mm soft galvanized wire and wrapped it around a 3/8 inch bolt to get the spring look. I then dipped the "springs" in hydrochloric acid to get rid of the zinc. The paint adheres better to bare metal.
    The angle iron is made out of pine, cut in the table saw, but there will be a bit of load bearing on this, so I have used some 2mm aluminium plate cut in the shape of the bracket and laminated this onto my pine angle irons. I then used a filler and then sanded and painted so you can't really see the lamination.
    I have used "domino" colour paint for my chasis colour.

Nearly completed the other side. Lots of rivet cutting (over 70 per side).

Again I have placed my workings on the 1/7th scale photo to show where it all sits.

Back up to the Railway Museum on Saturday to take some more photos and get a few more measurements.

Regards

Keith

Chasis3.jpgChasis 4.jpg

Keith, I understand you are making a model (not a scale model) for static display but you do understand that a 4-6-2 locomotive (tank or tender) has a 4 wheel pilot bogie, then a 6 wheel rigid frame with the driving wheels followed by a 2 wheel bogie. Are you going to modify your chassis and make up bogies?

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast