Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
    crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Keith, I understand you are making a model (not a scale model) for static display but you do understand that a 4-6-2 locomotive (tank or tender) has a 4 wheel pilot bogie, then a 6 wheel rigid frame with the driving wheels followed by a 2 wheel bogie. Are you going to modify your chassis and make up bogies?
    Now that's an engineering challenge for you Keith.....
    But I'm sure your up to it from what I've already seen.....
    BRING IT ON, KEITH!!!!
    cheers, Peter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Keith, I understand you are making a model (not a scale model) for static display but you do understand that a 4-6-2 locomotive (tank or tender) has a 4 wheel pilot bogie, then a 6 wheel rigid frame with the driving wheels followed by a 2 wheel bogie. Are you going to modify your chassis and make up bogies?

Yes - Definitely !!!

I like the springs and how you did the rivets. Are the springs one piece that you filled or are they several bits glued together? The woodshop is calling my name...

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    I like the springs and how you did the rivets. Are the springs one piece that you filled or are they several bits glued together? The woodshop is calling my name...

Bret

Hi Bret,

The leaf springs are all individually cut leaves out of MDF and then glued together. The centres of the springs are 3mm MDF glued all around to add extra strength.

The coil springs are soft 2mm wire that I wrapped around a 3/8 bolt to give the correct spring helix.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards

Keith

The coil springs what a great idea! I will have to give that a try. Am I blind didnt see a photo of the coil springs?

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    The coil springs what a great idea! I will have to give that a try. Am I blind didnt see a photo of the coil springs?
    Bret

There are 3, above the 2 front bogey bearings. Bit hard to see in photos yesterday. Close up attached

Regards

Keith

front springs.jpg

Hi ,

Slept on Handyjack's suggestion and think I have come up with a pretty good idea. I will separate the front bogey section and then rejoin at the back with another piece of timber joining the main chasis and bogey. They will not be independent of each other but there will appear to be a "gap" between the front bogey and main loco chasis. Will have a good look at the locomotive underneath tomorrow up at the railway museum.

Your thoughts Kevin? I don't think they need to be independent because won't be traversing curved track, but would look "independent".

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith for the close up. Here is an idea for what you are trying to accomplish I think. These are from my train the trucks (bogie) pivot on a dowel.

Front bogie

DSCN5557 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

DSCN5556 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Rear bogie

DSCN5577 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

DSCN5576 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Bogies from the tender.

DSCN5816 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

DSCN5815 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

DSCN5814 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Bret,

Beautiful looking loco.

You have now put me in a quandary. Do I build an independent bogie or do what I have done just trying to make it "look" like a separate bogie ??
    Can see in my photo that I have modified the chasis to try and look like an independent bogie from the side and you can also see in the photo with the photo of the real locomotive, that most of the running gear will be hidden by the cylinder and front wheels. What will be seen I think will look like an independent front bogie.
    I am probably happy ??? with what I have done.

The actual locomotive, even up close, is not very revealing ( that is not an excuse - just an observation ) What do people think about what I have done or going down the other approach of building a separate bogie ?

Regards

Keith

front bogie.jpgBogie 2.jpg

Hi Guys,

Decided to proceed with what I have done, just placed the other almost completed side next to the painted one. I reckon it looks pretty good. If when it all comes together and looks no good, can always start again. But with the two together and cross members, don't think building an individual bogie will look much different when I really get stuck into the locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Your way looks great keith. As you said won't even see it once all he details are n place.

Bret

That is an improvement. Would not be able to tell it is not independent.

Hi Keith,
    your masterpiece will probably always be displayed on a straight piece of track so what you have done is more than enough, the illusion is complete!
    fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Looks good as it is Keith, If you was doing a scale model then yes go for the full pivoting bogie but as a static semi-scale then what you have done is fine.

By the way good to see you on here again Bret I know you have been busy with the car

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    Hi Keith,
    your masterpiece will probably always be displayed on a straight piece of track so what you have done is more than enough, the illusion is complete!
    fletty

Thanks guys,

I never looked at it that way, (about the illusion) although it is hard to think of your own build not being a real locomotive once you get deeply involved in it and you want to do the loco justice. I am really happy with the way it looks. Will look better as a complete chasis - I reckon.
    Agree about the independent bogie that Kevin mentioned. Definitely will be on straight track (no space for curved)

Up to the Railway Museum today. Probably make a bit of a joke of myself by getting under the loco taking measurements and photos. The public asked last time - "what the hell was I doing?" Hope didn't embarrass Cathie too much.

Again - Thanks for your comments

Catch up soon

Keith

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast