No bias here

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker57 View Post
    Looking Great Keith your next step will keep you on your toes for a while

Hi Kevin,

Sight glasses in the lubricator will be a bit of a challenge. Have some ideas about combining pine, aluminium and perspex to overcome this. Maybe a fair bit of metal turning.

Regards

Keith

The firebox area is starting to take shape now Keith have you got a photo of the same area of the real thing for comparison please

Derek,

No worries. I have done a little bit of artistic licence ??? in positioning the centre valve but I'm OK with that

It's lunchtime here now. Been working on the lubricator. I am really happy with the lubricator sightglasses. Machined aluminium down to 9mm OD. Drilled the centre with a 6.5mm drill, then ground an 8mm drill to a flat bottom and drilled to within 2mm of length of sightglass. Parted off. This retains the glass of my sightglass (perspex) which I cut out with a wad punch and fits nicely in the bore (8mm) but retained by the end lip.

Regards

Keith

cab4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Handy has a saw & blank of timber, that little bloke has a spanner.....still a clever helper....
    and a pencil behind the ear to sign the chart.

Hi All,

Been working on the lubricator in the cabin. It has 3 pipework connections on the back but haven't added the "pipe" yet. The sight glasses still need the "glass to be inserted. I have made this removable at this stage as I will need to still do a lot of drilling and fitting work on the main firebox body. Quite happy how this is coming up. I am using the same colour scheme as the loco at the railway museum for the interior.

Regards

Keith

Lubricator.jpg

Lubricator looks good. The glasses are actually on the back as well as the front so the drops of oil can be observed. Are you going to fit the missing 'sight feed drain stems'? What these do is drain the condensate (water) out of the sight glass (each one individually) to remove any muck from the glass. The drain actually becomes a blow of steam (all over the back of the boiler and cab floor).

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Lubricator looks good. The glasses are actually on the back as well as the front so the drops of oil can be observed. Are you going to fit the missing 'sight feed drain stems'? What these do is drain the condensate (water) out of the sight glass (each one individually) to remove any muck from the glass. The drain actually becomes a blow of steam (all over the back of the boiler and cab floor).
    Hi Kevin.

Thanks for info. I don't know what the missing sight feed drain stems look like or where they are located. Do you have details please or point me in correct direction ?

Thanks

Keith

The 'sight feed drain stems' fill the holes below the sight glasses. They are actually T shaped with the stem being a thread. The cross bar is all you actually see. Refer to working lubricator in post 503, and compare to that on the D4 in post 514, and the model lubricator in post 516.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kevin -

Yes - No worries I will be doing this addition - looks very straight forward - Appreciate your expertise

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

Not much progress on the loco, but I have made up some more valves. Didn't have my loco at the weekend anyway as our Woodworking club had an exhibition and the WIP 4-6-2 and the Lion were on display.

I have been working on some needy kids Christmas presents. Our Club will distribute them closer to Christmas. I decided to make some spinning tops. If anyone wants the plans - just send me a post.

The spinning tops are made up of 3 main parts. The spinner - which is dowel, spacer and a CD. The main body which is made of pine. The main hole where you connect to the spinner is drilled using a forstner bit (I reckon they are the best things ever). The pull string - which is connected to a dowel handle. I used hot melt glue on the end to make it easier to to fit into the spinner hole.

I used non toxic wood dye to colour the bodies. I stuck on some dinosaur stickers (from $2 shop) to add something to the handle.

Hopefully some kids will like them as a present.

The second photo shows that the top actually works.

Back to the loco soon.

Regards

Keith

Spin Top1.jpgSpin Top2.jpgSpin Top3.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi All,

Not much progress on the loco, but I have made up some more valves. Didn't have my loco at the weekend anyway as our Woodworking club had an exhibition and the WIP 4-6-2 and the Lion were on display.

I have been working on some needy kids Christmas presents. Our Club will distribute them closer to Christmas. I decided to make some spinning tops. If anyone wants the plans - just send me a post.

The spinning tops are made up of 3 main parts. The spinner - which is dowel, spacer and a CD. The main body which is made of pine. The main hole where you connect to the spinner is drilled using a forstner bit (I reckon they are the best things ever). The pull string - which is connected to a dowel handle. I used hot melt glue on the end to make it easier to to fit into the spinner hole.

I used non toxic wood dye to colour the bodies. I stuck on some dinosaur stickers (from $2 shop) to add something to the handle.

Hopefully some kids will like them as a present.

The second photo shows that the top actually works.

Back to the loco soon.

Regards

Keith

Spin Top1.jpgSpin Top2.jpgSpin Top3.jpg
    A HUGE WELL DONE Keith, I'm sure they'll be very much appreciated & love....Peter

Fantastic Keith. You have done a great job on them, and they are nice and colourful which every child likes.
    I hope you feel good about them because you should for being so generous with your time.
    Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    Fantastic Keith. You have done a great job on them, and they are nice and colourful which every child likes.
    I hope you feel good about them because you should for being so generous with your time.
    Dallas / Guys,

I do feel good about these items. They are pretty basic and easy to make - BUT the the satisfaction level is hard to explain. Love the loco build but this is something different

Regards

Keith

So how did you transport the D4 and lion for display? I am sure they were admired.