Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Hi,
    Only you will know if you are happy, and as it is your locomotive you are the only one who needs to be happy with it.
    Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Hi,
    Only you will know if you are happy, and as it is your locomotive you are the only one who needs to be happy with it.
    Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.
    Regards

Thanks for that,

Well worth the visit to the railway museum. The volunteers up there were so helpful and interested. I asked about the Canadian Red colour of this locomotive. There are varying colours used as Canadian Red if you look on the web. They keep a lot of stuff up at the museum. They went and had a look and said not to go away. They eventually came back and had an original stick that stirred the paint used on VR locos 60+ years ago. They gave it to me so I can match the paint at Bunnings or Dulux. The loco on show is so faded, it looks more rusty red than a Canadian Red. Took lots more photos. Crawled under the loco as well (must have been a sight) Cathie stayed inside the entry area. She may have been embarrassed, but I don't care. Got lots more detail.
    A good, productive day.

Regards

Keith

Keith,

That's awesome you are able to go and take pictures and measurements from the real thing. And the stirring stick for color match even better. A little off topic but you just reminded me of a book I acquired while building my train you might be interested in. http://www.amazon.com/Model-Railroad.../dp/0890240019 It has alot of really cool photos and scale drawings. Though most of the trains are American.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Keith,

That's awesome you are able to go and take pictures and measurements from the real thing. And the stirring stick for color match even better. A little off topic but you just reminded me of a book I acquired while building my train you might be interested in. http://www.amazon.com/Model-Railroad.../dp/0890240019 It has alot of really cool photos and scale drawings. Though most of the trains are American.

Bret

Thanks Bret,

Will read in the morning - 10.45pm here now

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Thanks Bret,

Will read in the morning - 10.45pm here now

Regards

Keith
    The books look interesting Bret,

Thanks for sending the info.

Best Regards

Keith

Hi Guys,

Have finished off the second side of the chasis. I reckon I have got it pretty close to mirror image. I have done as much as I can with the bearings as well. I needed to get them made so I can fit them when I assemble the 2 chasis sides. I will put shafts through each bearing to ensure correct alignment and then glue it up.

I was going to use PVC pipe for my piston cylinders but really couldn't get anything that was close to the size which I could alter (enlarge / reduce ) like I did with the "Lion" and "Peny-Darren".

The size I needed was 95mm OD. I have used MDF. Marked out, cut out the centres on all but the 2 ends. Cut out the OD on bandsaw. Asssembed to check. Glued up. Clamped overnight. Machined the OD on wood lathe. I have now cut out one end for the piston gland assembly etc. Looks pretty good.

Have photos on how I did the cylinder and also all the components I have made so far. This is going to take a very, very long time to build.

Onto the drawing board after I glue up the chasis and finish off the second cylinder. Need to design / draw up the piston shaft assembly.

Regards

Keith

Piston cylinder2.jpgPiston cylinder1.jpgPiston Cylinder3.jpgPiston cylinder4.jpgPiston Cylinder5.jpgComponent so far.jpg

Nice job on the lathe Keith Are we going to see your new toy?

Dallas, (Treecycle) wants me to show my new "toy".

I bought a nice wood lathe off one of our club members yesterday. It's a beauty. I gave it a bit of a try yesterday on the piston cylinder and today I had a go at the loco inner and outer wheel blanks. Turned between centres. Came out OK but I am not in the same "ball park" as Treecycle's work he did on the blanks for me on the Lion. A bit rough. But, happy with outcome. A bit of sanding required (lots) and gee I am slow. However, it is good trying out something new. What do you think Dallas ?

Regards

Keith

lathe.jpgwheels1.jpgwheels2.jpg

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

WOW Keith, You are expanding your skills big time...the wheels look good..
    Well done, cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    WOW Keith, You are expanding your skills big time...the wheels look good..
    Well done, cheers, Peter

Thanks Crowie - I am very slow. 12 wheels to make

Regards

Keith

I missed boarding earkier b ut b im here now. looking fine

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Dallas, (Treecycle) wants me to show my new "toy".

I bought a nice wood lathe off one of our club members yesterday. It's a beauty. I gave it a bit of a try yesterday on the piston cylinder and today I had a go at the loco inner and outer wheel blanks. Turned between centres. Came out OK but I am not in the same "ball park" as Treecycle's work he did on the blanks for me on the Lion. A bit rough. But, happy with outcome. A bit of sanding required (lots) and gee I am slow. However, it is good trying out something new. What do you think Dallas ?

Regards

Keith

lathe.jpgwheels1.jpgwheels2.jpg
    Great job on the progress of the train Keith but then I expect nothing less. And that lathe looks like it will do for the toymaking bits and pieces and the odd bowl, goblet, candle stick Oops be careful it can become a very slippy slope playing with that little tool. And this from someone who does not play with his lathe very much

For someone new to the lathe the wheels look fantastic, don't worry at how fast that will come with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Great job on the progress of the train Keith but then I expect nothing less. And that lathe looks like it will do for the toymaking bits and pieces and the odd bowl, goblet, candle stick Oops be careful it can become a very slippy slope playing with that little tool. And this from someone who does not play with his lathe very much

For someone new to the lathe the wheels look fantastic, don't worry at how fast that will come with practice.
    Thanks Derek,

Gives a greater range of things you can do ( I hope ). I have promised my 32 year old son that I will make him a chess set - when I get proficient. Do you know of any plans for turning chess pieces. Gee off on a tangent already . Seriously - the loco has No 1 priority. I am loving doing it. It's nearly as much enjoyment as doing the Lion. Love locomotives.

Regards

Keith

Thanks Derek,

Gives a greater range of things you can do ( I hope ). I have promised my 32 year old son that I will make him a chess set - when I get proficient. Do you know of any plans for turning chess pieces. Gee off on a tangent already . Seriously - the loco has No 1 priority. I am loving doing it. It's nearly as much enjoyment as doing the Lion. Love locomotives.

Regards

Keith
    I have seen people turn them but don't know of any plans.

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast