Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Thanks Derek

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Dallas, (Treecycle) wants me to show my new "toy".

I bought a nice wood lathe off one of our club members yesterday. It's a beauty. I gave it a bit of a try yesterday on the piston cylinder and today I had a go at the loco inner and outer wheel blanks. Turned between centres. Came out OK but I am not in the same "ball park" as Treecycle's work he did on the blanks for me on the Lion. A bit rough. But, happy with outcome. A bit of sanding required (lots) and gee I am slow. However, it is good trying out something new. What do you think Dallas ?
    Considering you said you only had very limited chisels to work with, they have certainly come up a treat. Those lessons Rob gave you have really sunk in. Very well done
    Dallas

Thanks Dallas. Rob has been great. I really need those chisel s you suggested. The lathe work is very enjoyable. Recommend it to everyone. A great addition to woodworking enjoyment. Regards Keith.

Hi Guys,

On the wood lathe all day today. Making up the wheel blanks. This Tank locomotive sure has lots of them. Also turned up the second piston cylinder. I have decided to make up a lot of the components before I assemble the chasis. I figure that if I can get the angles and alignments correct on o0ne side, I will be able to replicate it on the other. I believe it will be a lot easier to do this on just one side of the chasis laying flat on the bench, instead of trying to get it standing up. I will then record all my angles and hopefully be able to assemble like a bought kit - Ha (hope reigns eternal)

A great BIG thanks to Crowie, he got me plans for a chess set

Regards

Keith

wheels3.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Oh Me; Oh My...Keith has started on Derek's slippery slope.....Well done on the wheels Keith.....Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Oh Me; Oh My...Keith has started on Derek's slippery slope.....Well done on the wheels Keith.....Cheers, Peter

Hope I am not going down backwards

Keith

Default Wheels

Yes Keith your tank engine may seem to have a lot of wheels (twelve), but that is not many compared to say a Victorian Railways Garratt (sixteen), or a K class including tender (eighteen) or an R class including tender (twenty two) the S class after streamlining including tender (twenty four) or the H class including tender (16 wheels plus 12 on the tender, all up twenty eight). If we look overseas we can find engines with more so by the time you are finished making them you are really good at turning.

You could have chosen a little Na loco with only ten wheels, centre wheels are also flangeless.

As with any production it is often easier to make sub assemblies, and where you have multiple of the same, make them all at the same time.

Out of curiosity, why are you making the cylinders hollow when there are covers at both ends and it is a static model? If you wanted the piton rod to move in the cylinder you would still not need to bore out the cylinders fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Yes Keith your tank engine may seem to have a lot of wheels (twelve), but that is not many compared to say a Victorian Railways Garratt (sixteen), or a K class including tender (eighteen) or an R class including tender (twenty two) the S class after streamlining including tender (twenty four) or the H class including tender (16 wheels plus 12 on the tender, all up twenty eight). If we look overseas we can find engines with more so by the time you are finished making them you are really good at turning.

You could have chosen a little Na loco with only ten wheels, centre wheels are also flangeless.

As with any production it is often easier to make sub assemblies, and where you have multiple of the same, make them all at the same time.

Out of curiosity, why are you making the cylinders hollow when there are covers at both ends and it is a static model? If you wanted the piton rod to move in the cylinder you would still not need to bore out the cylinders fully.
    Kevin,

Thanks for the information, I chose well - wouldn't want to be making 28 although as you said - it may make me a good turner in the end.

I am making a hollow cylinder because I want the piston rod to project into the cylinder. I will make it so that is supported instead of just sitting at the end. I think it will give my piston assembly a bit more strength when I add the gland assembly etc. It may not, but I did it in a similar way to the Trevithick locomotive and I thought strengthened that part of the structure. (Even though totally different configurations)

Anyway - that's my reason for doing that on my loco.

Also wanted to minimise weight by making it hollow.

Best Regards

Keith

Wheels turned out great Keith. As you have discovered the wood lathe is an addictive tool. I find it very relaxing to use because unlike all the other power tools it doesn't make noise and allows the creativity to flow from your hands to the work. I really enjoy making wheels and cylinders and anything else a scale model needs. It sure beats trying to make exhaust tubing on the router using roundover bits. HA

Also will say if you haven't invested in really good chisels now is the time before you learn bad habits with the cheap tools. The sharp carbide tools make all the difference. Dalboy showed me the way on this.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Wheels turned out great Keith. As you have discovered the wood lathe is an addictive tool. I find it very relaxing to use because unlike all the other power tools it doesn't make noise and allows the creativity to flow from your hands to the work. I really enjoy making wheels and cylinders and anything else a scale model needs. It sure beats trying to make exhaust tubing on the router using roundover bits. HA

Also will say if you haven't invested in really good chisels now is the time before you learn bad habits with the cheap tools. The sharp carbide tools make all the difference. Dalboy showed me the way on this.

Bret

Thanks Bret,

Treecycle (Dallas - an excellent Woodturner) a mate and member of our woodworking club - (I was inducted into the club on Monday night) - is assisting me in getting the correct chisels. Agree that the wood lathe has opened a new scope to the modelling. It will go hand in hand with my metal turning lathe.
    Thanks for your comments.

All the Best

Keith

I said before having only just started turning you are making a great job of the wheels

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    No not me gov I only play at it

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    I said before having only just started turning you are making a great job of the wheels

No not me gov I only play at it
    If you look at Derek's work - I definitely hope I am on that slope. He is a superb craftsman. Thanks for the comment about the wheels Derek, but lots of improvement required. Really enjoying it though.

Regards

Keith

Hi all,

Finished off the wheel blanks on the wood lathe today. Mucked one centre up and had to re-do, but good experience.
    So cold in Torquay today. Out of the shed and into the backroom on the computer and designed up my wheel spoke templates and the wheel counterweights templates. These will be used to guide me on my cutouts of the inner wheel blanks.
    Won't get much done tomorrow. Tied up with an Aged Care Centre (not me yet). But should get onto the spokes on Saturday afternoon. When wheels are done I can then check out my alignments and then maybe look at putting the chasis together.

Regards

Keith

Spoke templates.jpgWheel Blanks.jpg

Hi Keith and well done!
    Until the pic of the wheel blanks on the bar, I'd lost all sense of scale? Now I can see that they're the size of dinner plates but it's given me an idea for a retirement business? Spoked pizzas sold at railway stations and steam festivals!
    the spokes will make them easier to eat for older folk too.......

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    Hi Keith and well done!
    Until the pic of the wheel blanks on the bar, I'd lost all sense of scale? Now I can see that they're the size of dinner plates but it's given me an idea for a retirement business? Spoked pizzas sold at railway stations and steam festivals!
    the spokes will make them easier to eat for older folk too.......

fletty
    Your a bit of a thinker there Fletty, Pretty good idea. I will see if I can get my old unopened can of VB Gold next to my components to give a bit of perspective on size. (Didn't have pizza as an icon - best I could come up with)

PS - perhaps we could go into business together when you get back from the UK ?

Regards

Keith