Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast

Looks like you are going to have fun sitting there and cutting all the spokes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    If you look at Derek's work - I definitely hope I am on that slope. He is a superb craftsman. Thanks for the comment about the wheels Derek, but lots of improvement required. Really enjoying it though.

Regards

Keith
    Thank you for the compliment Keith but it is you who is the craftsman along with many others on here.

PS - perhaps we could go into business together when you get back from the UK ?

Regards

Keith
    After the last few days weather we have here Fletty will be glad to get back

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Sizes ??.

Hi All,
    Not trying not to be a smarty pants, but instead of mm, wood 'nt be in Imperial.
    I realise it maybe easier to do in mm, but I wood have thought that the UK people wood have used Imperial.

Just a thought.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Derek,

Cutting out the spokes is going to be the easy bit. That is why I made the centre removable hub. I will cut out using the bandsaw and then glue it all back together. The monotonous bit is the filing and sanding of the spokes once glued together. But, the boring bit then becomes one of the more lifelike bits of the build so it is well worth the effort. The counterweights will be interesting. Have figured out an easy (cheat) way of doing them that will also add strength to the wheels. Cut them out first and then do the spokes and then make up a tight fitting counterweight to glue back in position between the outer rim and spokes.

I don't think Fletty will want to come home from the UK mate - it is so cold down here. Didn't even reach double figures Celcius today and pouring rain.

Regards

Keith

Hi,

Did a bit of work this afternoon on the wheels. I had cutout the wheel spoke templates I did on Thursday and glued them onto my inner blanks with some PVA glue.

Today I started cutting out the spokes on my bandsaw. The only filing I have done so far is to clean up the blade marks near the hub. I then glued the inner to the outer. These will be left at least 24 hours before any filing or sanding takes place.

The wheel with the counterweight was done in a similar fashion except I cut off the counterweight moon shape and then made a tight fitting new counterweight. The counterweight is the same width as the outer rim, so a new one has to be made for each of the driving wheels. Important that it is a tight fit to ensure the spokes are positioned correctly when inners and outers are glued together. 10 more to go. Then filing the spokes straight and then rounding off the spoke edges.

Regards

Keith

spokes1.jpgSpokes2.jpgSpokes3.jpg

Great build sequence for the wheels Keith. Creative thinking on parts like these is what makes complicated parts look real.

Bret

Wow thise wheels looking good

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Started work on the main driving wheel leaf springs. To ensure ? I got them all the same I photocopied my drawings (yesterdays post) of the leaf spring (6 off) and then glued then onto 20mm MDF. Cut out the body and then the individual leaves and then glued them together. Started up a bit of a production run as can be seen in the photo. Slow work. Need to get all the components for the chasis made before I start on the chasis body. The chasis will be over 1500mm long.

Regards

Keith

Attachment 347646
    Fantastic work Keith ! I would like to ask you for a bit more info to be included in the WIPs. What method/machinery do you employ to make them ? Do you use machinery to make very small parts ?
    Regards,
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by xpro View Post
    Fantastic work Keith ! I would like to ask you for a bit more info to be included in the WIPs. What method/machinery do you employ to make them ? Do you use machinery to make very small parts ?
    Regards,
    Gus
    Gus,

If you like I will add more photos.

I turned the blanks for the wheels between centres on my wood lathe. (I need to get a chuck) Not much room for the chisel next to the tailstock. The wheels are out of 240 X 19 pine. Spent all day on the wheels. I cut out the spokes and half moon counterweights on the bandsaw. Then very lengthy time getting the counterweight to fit in. (make up a new counterweight for each drive wheel as it is thicker than the turned inner hub thickness). The fit needs to be an interference fit so there are no gaps between counterweight and spokes.
    Attached is photo of one side of chasis (yet to be assembled) This just shows wheel configuration. The wheels still need the spokes filed and sanded. Work on cutting out the remaining wheels tomorrow.

Photo looks a bit weird because used wide angle to get the lot in - but gives some idea

Regards

Keith

wheel configuration.jpg

Hi Guys,

I am really happy. I got the perfect paint match off the paint stirring stick the guys from the Railway Museum gave me. I was told it was "Canadian Red" by guys at the Museum. It was matched to a Dulux colour "Indian Red". It is identical to the sample. Good old Bunnings.

Today I finished fitting, cutting out, minimal sanding and gluing together all the loco wheels. Next step is to file and sand the spokes and give them a rounded edge

Regards

Keith

colour match.jpgAll wheel cut and glued.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

The wheels look great Keith...you must have been a turner in a former life... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    The wheels look great Keith...you must have been a turner in a former life... Peter
    Thanks Crowie,

The cutout sections "hide" where all the chisel marks were

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

10 hours of filing and sanding and I have finally got the spokes and rims somewhere near what I want them to look. All 12 are now done. I can now set up the piston cylinder to get the correct angle to the wheels and make up the cylinder support brackets so they won't foul with the wheels. Then I can assemble the chasis. I need to make up at least 3 wheel axles to ensure each side is aligned and square during assembly and glue setting.
    I have placed my VB Gold can in the photo to give some perspective of size. Having the size of the model loco available is beneficial as it shows me whether I am heading down the right track.

Regards

Keith

Wheels filed and sanded.jpg

Wheels look great Keith. Thanks for the can reference. It really is larger than it appears. Like your pun there by the way.

P.S. When you are all done you will have to have a pic taken with you holding it. I did this with my Scania and it shocks people to see how big it is.

DSCN4527 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Wheels look great Keith. Thanks for the can reference. It really is larger than it appears. Like your pun there by the way.

P.S. When you are all done you will have to have a pic taken with you holding it. I did this with my Scania and it shocks people to see how big it is.

DSCN4527 by bjohnson388, on Flickr
    Thanks Bret,

Will Do,

Truck looks tremendous

Best regards

Keith

Worked on the cylinder brackets today and worked out the angle of the cylinder to the horizontal point of the chasis - 6 degrees. made up a gauge to ensure I maintained the same angle on both cylinders. Gave a first prime coat. Some sanding required and then another prime coat. I have drilled location holes so the cylinder remains at 6 degrees. I am just using 3mm nails as my locating pins at this stage. Now I have got the angle of cylinders correct - I can start on assembly of the chasis.

Regards

Keith

Cylinder location2.jpgCylinder location1.jpg