2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Thanks Bret,

Will Do,

Truck looks tremendous

Best regards

Keith
    The best image when you have finished is with the prototype, both with and without the builder. If you can set it up with the model either on a stand beside the real thing or perhaps on part of it (may not be easy due to size of the model and few flat parts that can easily be accessed to put the model on).

Keep up the good work and recording the images.

Thanks Kevin,

That's a really good idea. The guys at the Australian Railway Historical Society would definitely let me do that. Even if I have to hire a trailer to take it up. It's of course - still a long way off.

Thanks for the suggestion and idea.

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

Made up 3 axles - front bogie, middle drive wheel and rear trailing wheel. This was to ensure alignment of the bearings on each side of the chasis when I assembled it. Glued in the rear and middle bulkheads and ensured that the axles moved freely through the wheel bearings. Then glued in all the bulkheads. Tried bearings and shafts in other positions along the chasis - all slid through - so I am happy with alignment. Now will leave clamped until at least lunchtime tomorrow. (Looking after grandson day tomorrow). The chasis together looks long !!

Whilst glue dries - I thought I would have a try at making a chess piece set. Tried to make the Bishop. Photo of my effort for Crowie is attached - Thanks for the plans mate !!

Happy with how the loco is coming together.

Regards

Keith

Chasis clamped.jpgBishop.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Hi All,

Made up 3 axles - front bogie, middle drive wheel and rear trailing wheel. This was to ensure alignment of the bearings on each side of the chasis when I assembled it. Glued in the rear and middle bulkheads and ensured that the axles moved freely through the wheel bearings. Then glued in all the bulkheads. Tried bearings and shafts in other positions along the chasis - all slid through - so I am happy with alignment. Now will leave clamped until at least lunchtime tomorrow. (Looking after grandson day tomorrow). The chasis together looks long !!

Whilst glue dries - I thought I would have a try at making a chess piece set. Tried to make the Bishop. Photo of my effort for Crowie is attached - Thanks for the plans mate !!

Happy with how the loco is coming together.

Regards

Keith

Chasis clamped.jpgBishop.jpg
    You certainly look like you've mastered the wood lathe Keith.....

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    You certainly look like you've mastered the wood lathe Keith.....
    Only learning Pete.

Beginners night again tonight to try to learn some skills.

Regards

Keith

Train is looking good Keith and the turning is coming along nicely the chest piece looks good now comes the fun making 4 identical pieces seriously just take your time and try and mount the first piece turned along the back of the lathe it helps a lot when turning more than 1 piece the same.

Looks like your frame is too big for the workbench. At least nothing is going to drop onto the floor, it is already there.

You build is almost on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Looks like your frame is too big for the workbench. At least nothing is going to drop onto the floor, it is already there.

You build is almost on a roll.
    You are right there Kevin.

Will probably make up a new workbench to suit the loco. May make it so I can alter heights as well to get to components without bending.

Thanks for comments

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Train is looking good Keith and the turning is coming along nicely the chest piece looks good now comes the fun making 4 identical pieces seriously just take your time and try and mount the first piece turned along the back of the lathe it helps a lot when turning more than 1 piece the same.

Thanks for suggestion Derek.

There was some good stuff at class tonight as well. You could almost get addicted to wood turning

Regards

Keith

There was some good stuff at class tonight as well. You could almost get addicted to wood turning

Regards

Keith
    I don't believe that Keith I would stick to toy making

I'm sure Keith was bowled over by all the great stuff you can make on a lathe!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Tried to make a reply to Trev this morning but the Forum didn't like me. Couldn't submit for some reason. We made a bowl 2 weeks ago Trev.

Got onto making up the axles for the loco today whilst Josh had his sleep, then he came out and "helped" Grandpa.

The only issue was the supply of the aluminium solid round I am using for the axles. The bearings have all been bored out to 25mm. I had one metre of 25mm shaft which fitted perfectly - nice sliding fit. Went and bought another 3 metres of 25mm, but they provided one inch instead. Had to machine down the axles along entire length (my design) so they are a sliding fit through the already made up bearings a bit of a pain, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

Machined the ends of each shaft to suit the wheels and then fitted the bearings, axles and wheels. I have positioned the piston cylinders just to ensure the wheels don't foul.

Haven't painted the inside chasis yet - plenty of time for that. Wanted to see how the wheels look in position. Very happy with the outcome so far. Another axle to do tomorrow, then pull it apart and do some sanding and chasis painting.

Regards

Keith

chasis bearings shafts.jpg

The chassis is turning out alright now that you have the wheels and cylinder on. Shame about the axle material being different in size even though it is not a problem but it does get annoying if you are trying to get on with the job in hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    The chassis is turning out alright now that you have the wheels and cylinder on. Shame about the axle material being different in size even though it is not a problem but it does get annoying if you are trying to get on with the job in hand
    Derek,

My 3 year old grandson has come up with a saying when something doesn't go right he says "doesn't matter" and puts both hands in the air - out of the "mouths of babies" - he has really taught me something.

The problem with building something that is going to take quite a while is that it is sometimes hard to picture what the end outcome will be. Although I am pretty happy at this stage. The actual size photo of the size of my model loco has been a real help in assessing the scale and positions of components.

The brake gear on the main drive wheels is going to be a real challenge.

Thanks for your comments

Regards

Keith

Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast