Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Hi all,

Finished off the final axle and then pulled it all apart again. Then went and checked each bearing and modified so they are all loose sliding fits on the chasis.
    Gave the chasis it's first coat of paint. When dry - re-assembled and then checked that the chasis was level along the length and across as well. All the wheels are touching the base board and was very happy with alignment.
    Tipped the chasis upside down and then I fitted the studs and the leaf springs beneath the wheel bearings. Need all these in position before I can start doing some work on the braking system.

Regards

Keith

Level and square.jpgleaf springs positioned.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Keith,

It looks fantastic. I love the mix of wood and metal. Great idea on the metal axles. Can't wait to see the boiler and all other parts start to come together. The scale of this thing is truly massive. I think it would really be fun to build on this scale but don't know what I would do with the completed project when done. My truck and train are both still housed in the workshop as there is no where in the house to put them.

Off subject but I almost have my cabinets done so I can clear some space to start a new scale/toy project.

20150617_194402 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Chassis is looking great Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Keith,

It looks fantastic. I love the mix of wood and metal. Great idea on the metal axles. Can't wait to see the boiler and all other parts start to come together. The scale of this thing is truly massive. I think it would really be fun to build on this scale but don't know what I would do with the completed project when done. My truck and train are both still housed in the workshop as there is no where in the house to put them.

Off subject but I almost have my cabinets done so I can clear some space to start a new scale/toy project.

20150617_194402 by bjohnson388, on Flickr
    Blimey Bret if I put those in my workshop I would need to make a hole in the end. Glad you are thinking about another of your builds any clues as to what yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Chassis is looking great Keith.

Blimey Bret if I put those in my workshop I would need to make a hole in the end. Glad you are thinking about another of your builds any clues as to what yet

Thanks Derek and Bret,

Cupboards are looking excellent. Yes Bret, next build - Are you doing the steamy or diesel ?

I have top of train display earmarked for the 4-6-2. Working on brake gear - as I said challenging but enjoyable designing the different components - may have photos tonight - although Cathie has given me some house maintenance duties. She needs to get our priories right ?

Only joking

Regards

Keith

locomotives.jpg

Hi all,

Made up my first brake assembly. Reckon it's the most difficult because of the confined space between the first drive wheel and the second drive wheel.

The brake shoes I made out of pine. Drew one up and then photocopied for the 6 shoes. Glued the copy onto the pine and then cutout, filed and sanded (this way they should be all the same). Cut the slot in the back of the shoe (for the holding bracket) using table saw and then sanded to correct width.

The bracket is made out of aluminium. The bosses at each end are collars I machined up and then 5 minuted araldited into position. When cured I drilled out and then filed and emery clothed.

The boss that secures to the chasis is machined on the lathe out of aluminium. I made the brake shoe pin out of aluminium.

Purchased the 1.6mm split pins. These need to be shortened when assembled correctly. I have used the decking nail heads As "rivets" to secure the boss to the chasis.

I have placed a photo of the original prototype beside my version on my loco for a bit of a comparison. Happy how it's coming together.

Now the design and first one has been made I can get into a bit of a Production run on the components for the remaining 5 brakes.

Regards

Keith

Brake Components.jpgBrake assembly.jpgBrake Prototype.jpg

Brake block looks good and is hanging correctly.
    What causes the brakes to release after the driver releases them? Gravity causes the blocks to move away from the wheels. This also means when you are assembling the rigging you are fighting gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Brake block looks good and is hanging correctly.
    What causes the brakes to release after the driver releases them? Gravity causes the blocks to move away from the wheels. This also means when you are assembling the rigging you are fighting gravity.
    Kevin,

Thanks for the information about gravity releasing the brakes. Always interested in learning more about locomotives.

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

A number of days since my last post. I have been working on my brake assemblies for all 6 wheels. Lots of metal turning and fitting work. Haven't been on the lathe for as much time since I was doing my fitting and turning apprenticeship over 40 years ago.
    Happy with the outcome. Only primed the brake components so far. They will end up the same colour as the chasis.

I have also designed a locking mechanism under the chasis that will lock the brakes in position, but will also allow me to remove the brake system whenever I like so I can remove the wheels and also work on the cylinders and wheel drive mechanisms. Will continue on that tomorrow.
    I also want to be able to remove the wheels at any stage to paint and possibly touch up the paint work.

In the prototype locomotive there is also angle iron on both sides connecting each brake mechanism. I will be using 12mm X 12mm X 1.4mm aluminium angle as my support "angle iron". Considered making my own angle iron out of pine but would be too "bulky".

In the photos - taken from left hand side and then right hand side of the locomotive - you can also see the leaf springs in position behind the 3 drive wheels.

I am going to continue work on the chasis at this stage. When I complete the brake system - I will commence work on the sandboxes that sit just behind the rear drive wheel (beneath where the cabin will be).

Regards

Keith

Brakes LH Side.jpg Brakes RH side.jpg

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

My my Keith, This build is going to you a long time with the detailed work you are doing.....
    And I was worried I'd miss too much while away....

I think not, as you'll just be tinkering on all the little bits & pieces to bring this train alive....

Keep up the great work sir....Cheers, Peter

PS - I'm pretty sure I've forgot all my turning from 40years ago so you're way ahead of me........

The brake system is pretty amazing. One cylinder will apply the brakes to all the driven wheels and the linkage is arranged to allow for ware and an even amount of force on each wheel. The rods are in tension when the brakes are applied so they are unlikely to bend. There is also a turnbuckle to take up any slack as the brake piston has limits of movement eg min 2" max 3". The park (hand) brake also works the same linkages. When work is being done on the mechanism eg changing blocks or adjusting piston travel the engine needs to be chocked for safety.

Looking good.

Looking good Keith. I can imagine the time it takes to do all of those parts and how important it is to get them all the same as it can spoil hours of work if not. Keep up the great build

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    My my Keith, This build is going to you a long time with the detailed work you are doing.....
    And I was worried I'd miss too much while away....

I think not, as you'll just be tinkering on all the little bits & pieces to bring this train alive....

Keep up the great work sir....Cheers, Peter

PS - I'm pretty sure I've forgot all my turning from 40years ago so you're way ahead of me........

You are right Pete,

This is going to take ages BUT really I am OK with that. (Don't have the hassle on deciding the next build for a long time (although it will be an S Class diesel)
    The big question will be how to make the round valve handles when I get into the cabin section. Wish I had Trevor's know how on making up "castings" etc. Anyone got any ideas for the future ?
    Drilling the mild steel with a 1mm drill is still a pain even after 40 years. Although haven't broken any drills yet and drilled 6 holes in mild steel threaded bar.
    Up to the Railway Museum again on Saturday for a few more photos. (Cathie's really impressed)

Below is a photo of the valve handles I will need to make and would like some suggestions if possible - please !!!

Regards

Keith

IMG_1102.jpg

Keith,

Brake system is spot on. As for the handles couldn't you just make them like you did the wheels. Turn the outside, make a center hub, and then glue the 4 shafts to hold the center in place and then sand all the edges round.

Bret

Thanks Bret,

Yes, I was thinking along similar lines (no pun intended). Do you think they would look authentic enough ? Although I suppose it doesn't matter how many goes it takes to get them right.

Thanks for your comments and suggestion.

Best Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    You are right Pete,

This is going to take ages BUT really I am OK with that. (Don't have the hassle on deciding the next build for a long time (although it will be an S Class diesel)
    The big question will be how to make the round valve handles when I get into the cabin section. Wish I had Trevor's know how on making up "castings" etc. Anyone got any ideas for the future ?
    Drilling the mild steel with a 1mm drill is still a pain even after 40 years. Although haven't broken any drills yet and drilled 6 holes in mild steel threaded bar.
    Up to the Railway Museum again on Saturday for a few more photos. (Cathie's really impressed)

Below is a photo of the valve handles I will need to make and would like some suggestions if possible - please !!!

Regards

Keith

IMG_1102.jpg
    How big are they. are they large enough to do what I did for the motor bike rocker

Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast