Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast

Thanks Derek,

Your wheels on the rocker are excellent. The size of the valve handles is about the size in the unopened photo on the thread. Very small. will get exact dimensions when I go to the Museum on Saturday.

Thanks for your comments and research

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    How big are they. are they large enough to do what I did for the motor bike rocker
    On your last post you said you would show some pictures of the motorbike when painted, but you didn't come back Any chance of updating that thread?
    Dallas

Hi,

Worked on the chasis / brake assemblies again today. I made up a locking / adjustment mechanism that will allow me to lock the brakes in position and also adjust the positioning of the brake shoes on the drive wheels. Not part of the prototype locomotive but it will be good for me when I have to dismantle and re-assemble. I have shown a photo of the chasis upside down to show the method used. The angles are held in position by threaded bar and nuts. The centre piece on each brake support allows me to lock in position using the mudguard washers and lock nuts.
    Painted the brake assemblies and the angles in domino. The angles are located in position using aluminium tube and locknuts. Won't be painting the nuts or split pins until the very end of this build, when I finally won't have to remove them (a long way off)

Regards

Keith

brake locking mechanism.jpg Brake assembly 2.jpg Brake assembly 1.jpg

Looking good and what you have done does not distract from what I have seen in the photo's of the original.

Sorry to go a little off track Keith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    On your last post you said you would show some pictures of the motorbike when painted, but you didn't come back Any chance of updating that thread?
    I had started a new thread on the finished bike it is HERE Sorry about that. Also this but turn the sound off terrible music.

https://youtu.be/Y92wP_SCbdE

Thanks Derek.

The alterations to allow me to adjust the brakes should not be visible in the finished locomotive.

Onto your motorbike - absolutely fantastic

Did you play the music on the You-tube video ? It is a really good video of how you made the bike - well done

You are a man of many talents - thanks again for sharing

Regards

Keith

Back to the Railway Museum tomorrow to get some more photos and dimensions.

I have been working on the 2 sandboxes (behind each of the rear drive wheels) for the last couple of days. Also need to review the pipework configuration for the sandboxes.

Have taken a few photos to show the guys at the museum what I am up to.

One of the photos attached

Regards

Keith

Sandbox.jpg

Starting to look like a locomotive. Just as well you have a brake otherwise the chassis would roll off your board.
    Cannot wait for the next installment.

Looking great Keith it is all the little bits of detail that seems to take up more time than the larger items of any build, I know this from the boats I have built.

Thanks Kevin and Derek,

Yes, the detail is the time consumer. I really want to get the pipework for the sandbox correct. I know much of it will not be seen but important for me. Going to try and get into more detail today at the Museum with dimensions on valve gear and connecting rod attachment details. Thanks for your comments - most appreciated.

Regards

Keith

Went to the Railway museum on Saturday and took an extra 160 photos. That should nearly do me I reckon . Have over 500 now so I should have enough information. Took up some photos to show the guys and girls up there. They were pretty impressed I think. They didn't realise how big it was. (Cathie took a photo with me behind the chasis section). They want me to bring it up when complete so I can take a photo of my loco in front of the real thing. They said they would open the museum especially for me so that kids wouldn't be running around and possibly damage it - a long way off yet.
    I got details on the sandbox and made up the operating mechanism. There is another 2 sand boxes at the front of the loco which I cant build until I complete the chasis lower section. The tube from the sandbox in my photo is just sitting there at the moment and also needs to be painted.

Did a fair bit of sanding and finishing work on the wheels over the last couple of days. Gave them their first coat of paint. I must say I am pretty impressed with the colour Victorian Railways used on their locos. I was able to match the colour sample the museum gave me. The colour is called "Indian Red".

Happy with the overall progress on my loco.

Regards

Keith

wheels painted.jpg

Blimey Keith at this rate they will have to make you a Honoured member of the museum, you probably spend more time there than the staff.

The chassis certainly has come alive now the wheels have been painted a great job, any idea how much more time to complete the chassis

Hi Derek,

Yeah, the guys at the museum said I should become a social member, but a bit far to travel if you want to spend the time as a volunteer and be an active member. The people up there are very obliging and helpful. I think they just like seeing people interested in their locomotives.
    I really like the colour of the wheels. The rest of the locomotive will also predominantly be in this colour. Debatable if I try and do pinstriping.

It is hard to nominate a timeframe for the chasis. Majority is now probably complete, but think I will be working on chasis components a long way into the build. The front sandboxes won't be done until probably half way through the build and then I will have to do work and modifications so the pipework will come down the chasis to the front drive wheels. The same goes for the front end of the locomotive, modifications of the chasis will be ongoing.

The next week will be giving numerous coats of paint to the wheels, chasis and brake system and then will be able to get onto the piston and wheel drive assemblies

Thanks for your comments Derek

Regards

Keith

Color of the wheels look great Keith. I think it is very cool you are able to go and take pictures of the real thing. I know from my experience sometimes it is hard finding a picture of the right side of whatever you are building or a closeup not even regarding getting in actual measurements.

Bret

Hi Bret,

Yes, it's very handy. I managed to get all the dimensions of valve handles, gauges and control levers inside the cabin. I have now worked out how I will do all the handwheels (both segmented like the loco wheels and others as one piece). They will be pretty small but I think effective. I will be making the inside of the cabin remotely from the locomotive and then sit it inside the cabin. Will be an interesting experience.

Regards

Keith

Keith, here is a picture of an operational hydrostatic lubricator.
    Lubricator.jpg
    It gets very hot in operation, when splashed water flashes off into steam, and you will notice the discoloration or the top part under the larger, or steam valve. The square plug is for the filler, and I have a diagram that shows it the same size and shape as the steam valve.
    Below is picture of part of the valve gear of an Na locomotive. The D4 would be similar but I think the rods are longer and go around the leading driver and the bottom rod is L shaped.

Valve gear.jpg

Hope this is useful.