Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast

Thanks Kevin,

Will come in handy later when I get into the cabin. appreciate your research and input

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Guys,

4 coats of paint on the wheels, but think they have come up OK.

On the original loco there are smaller support angles (support the top cover plate over the cylinders) Making these up out of aluminium angle. Making up support bracket for the cylinder at 6 degrees.

Photo shows progress (or lack of it) since the last post. Have removed the brake shoes so I can easily remove / replace the wheels when I want to.

Regards

Keith

4 coats.jpg

Thumbs up

Been OS for a while Keith so I haven't had much chance to keep abreast of things.

This is another great build on your part!!!

Love your attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Been OS for a while Keith so I haven't had much chance to keep abreast of things.

This is another great build on your part!!!

Love your attention to detail.

Thanks Arthur,

Sorry won't be seeing you this year - not coming up to Hervey Bay - Yamba's turn this year. Probably Hervey Bay next year - mate is up there now.

Really enjoying this loco. Handy to be able to build something that is only 80 klm or so up the road and know it won't be moving.

Regards

Keith

Nice Mate Very Nice!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Nice Mate Very Nice!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Tremendous to have you back online Trev

Keith

Dallas

Hi all,

The last couple of days I have been working on the piston shaft gland assembly. I first turned up my cylinder centre piece on the wood lathe. Drilled and added the retaining bolts. Then made up the slide support bracket. Then made up the lubricator. I have drilled a hole in the top of the lubricator which I will use for my tubing and tube nut.
    Made up 2 assemblies - one for each side piston / cylinder. I am using aluminium tube for my shaft. Lucky I guess that the size works out spot on for the 1/7th scale of this locomotive. Having it out of tube also reduces weight and allows me a bit of flexibility when making up the shaft ends. (I can machine out of aluminium and use a spigot end to fit into the bore of the tube). Photo shows one of the assemblies and then temporarily in position on the side of the locomotive. As you can see - have given the cylinders a coat of paint as well.

Regards

Keith

cylinder shaft gland.jpg cylinder shaft gland assembly.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi all,

The last couple of days I have been working on the piston (shaft) rod gland and stuffing boxassembly. I first turned up my cylinder centre piece on the wood lathe. Drilled and added the retaining bolts. Then made up the slide support bracket. Then made up the lubricator. I have drilled a hole in the top of the lubricator which I will use for my tubing and tube nut.
    Made up 2 assemblies - one for each side piston / cylinder. I am using aluminium tube for my shaft (piston rod). Lucky I guess that the size works out spot on for the 1/7th scale of this locomotive. Having it out of tube also reduces weight and allows me a bit of flexibility when making up the shaft (rod) ends. (I can machine out of aluminium and use a spigot end to fit into the bore of the tube). Photo shows one of the assemblies and then temporarily in position on the side of the locomotive. As you can see - have given the cylinders a coat of paint as well.

Regards

Keith

As always Keith looking good. Just a couple of changes to terminology.
    I am enjoying watching the build.

Keith,

Your painting looks spot on. I assume you are spray painting? The texture you come out with is perfect and do you seal the wood with anything before painting?

Bret

The piston assembly is looking great Keith and I see you are getting a grip with the lathe

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Keith,

Your painting looks spot on. I assume you are spray painting? The texture you come out with is perfect and do you seal the wood with anything before painting?

Bret
    Hi Bret,

Not spray painted - all hand painted, with the exception of the primer - Motorspray acrylic filler primer - grey. That is in a spray can. Creates a great base.

Top coats are just painted - I dab on - very time consuming but the outcome is well worth the effort. The finish comes up like a paint roller instead of a brush. The first coat is generally a bit ordinary can see some parts of primer underneath, the second coat is applied just as the first is almost set. This gives a really nice texture and finish. I use a small stubby brush about 7mm diameter. Tried lots of different types of brushes but this is best - from reject shop here in Australia. Hard to come by - they often run out. Was down to my last 2 two weeks ago and then the $2 shop got some in. Bought all they had. (2 to a pack) - 13 packs. Will last a while.
    Near the end of the build will probably repaint all component I can remove and give a spray coat of satin clear (out of a can) to protect the paintwork.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    The piston assembly is looking great Keith and I see you are getting a grip with the lathe
    Thanks Derek - Yes - the lathe is fun and very handy

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi all,

The last couple of days I have been working on the piston shaft gland assembly. I first turned up my cylinder centre piece on the wood lathe. Drilled and added the retaining bolts. Then made up the slide support bracket. Then made up the lubricator. I have drilled a hole in the top of the lubricator which I will use for my tubing and tube nut.
    Made up 2 assemblies - one for each side piston / cylinder. I am using aluminium tube for my shaft. Lucky I guess that the size works out spot on for the 1/7th scale of this locomotive. Having it out of tube also reduces weight and allows me a bit of flexibility when making up the shaft ends. (I can machine out of aluminium and use a spigot end to fit into the bore of the tube). Photo shows one of the assemblies and then temporarily in position on the side of the locomotive. As you can see - have given the cylinders a coat of paint as well.

Regards

Amazing detail Keith, surely you use a magnifier for some of it, no ?
    Regards,
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by xpro View Post
    Amazing detail Keith, surely you use a magnifier for some of it, no ?
    Regards,
    Gus
    Hi Gus,

Thanks. No my glasses are good enough. That is the benefit of building something bigger than you should - easier to work on - but then - Where do you put it when finished

Regards

Keith