Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Love the steam dome. Nothing to do with my passio. For wood turning.

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art
    Very basic turning Dave, but gee - doesn't the wood lathe make life (and making components) a heck of a lot easier. Really opens up the scope.

A mate from our wood working club is coming around this morning - he is a really good wood turner. He is going to give me some tip - I think !!

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi All,

In between looking after our grandson today, did a bit more work on the steam dome. This is the first of two I will be making. The second will have the flange made out of bodyfiller instead of papier mache. Just wanted to see how this one came up and will then use the best one. I asked Handyjack a question on the colour of the steam dome. He did a bit of research for me (thanks mate) and the steam dome will be the colour of the livery of the locomotive. Think it looks quite OK. I have used my mock boiler to support the dome whilst painting.

Regards

Keith

Attachment 358363
    Looks like someone has been taking lessons from at "Artful Bogger" of Mildura..... looks good Keith...

Hi Derek,

Tell us what you think of the colour scheme they painted the poor old Lion for the movie - I didn't like it. I have watched the DVD many times. Added extra details for my build of the Lion.
    I had to buy a new TV/DVD combine so I could play the movie. Wrong area setting on DVD. Could only import from UK, but they said would be compliant to Aussie zone ???

Thanks for comment on dome.

Enjoy movie

Regards

Keith
    I agree would have been better to have left it in the proper colours, and the old carriage which looks like it should have been behind the Rocket

Very basic turning Dave, but gee - doesn't the wood lathe make life (and making components) a heck of a lot easier. Really opens up the scope.

A mate from our wood working club is coming around this morning - he is a really good wood turner. He is going to give me some tip - I think !!

Regards

Keith
    Be careful it can be addictive this turning lark

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    I agree would have been better to have left it in the proper colours, and the old carriage which looks like it should have been behind the Rocket

Be careful it can be addictive this turning lark
    You are definitely correct there Derek - BUT don't tell Trev

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Looks like someone has been taking lessons from at "Artful Bogger" of Mildura..... looks good Keith...

Yep !!!

Woodies are a good bunch

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Woodies are a good bunch

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art
    It's a TOP Forum

Hi All,

Firstly, I would like to thank all the guys who have encouraged and given suggestions regarding woodturning, it is much appreciated. Even though I am pretty ordinary at it, it has opened up a new scope to my locomotive making. The good thing is that any blemishes can be covered with woodfiller, sanded and then primed and painted. Thanks again.

I have been working on the smokebox. Laminated 8 discs I cut out (3 of them an annulus to fit and locate the boiler). I drilled each disc in the centre and then stuck a straight piece of wire through to ensure discs in line. Then glued and clamped overnight.
    Made up a faceplate for the lathe so I could screw the smokebox in position on the lathe for turning. Fitted smokebox and supported with live centre. On slowest speed machined outside and then the bore. Then sanded.
    Next job is to make up the footings for the smokebox.

Regards

Keith

smokebox1.jpgsmokebox2.jpgsmokebox3.jpgsmokebox4.jpgsmokebox5.jpg

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted. I have been working on components and assembly of the smokebox. The domed cover plate of the smokebox is a piece of 19mm pine cut out to 185mm OD and attached to a faceplate I made for the wood lathe. Used a skew chisel to get the dome shape and then cut out the dome on bandsaw and cleaned up. The locking mechanisms are 4mm MS attached to aluminium I machined and bored. The handle is a piece of wire that I shaped and the ferules are machined up aluminium.
    The smokestack is laminated pine that I first cut out the bore using a hole saw. I then made up attachments in my metal lathe so I could turn the stack between centres in the wood lathe.
    I have made up the bracket for the main headlamp. Handyjack has been really helpful in getting me photos of the correct era lamps to make up in future (thanks Mate)
    The top components are just sitting in position. Will start on the side water tanks next. After that can start to get into the real detail of the locomotive.

Take Care

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

The skew master!

Coming along nicely

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Nice job

Smoke box is looking great Keith and done with a skew as well even better.

The lathe is a great piece of equipment for toy and model making

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Smoke box is looking great Keith and done with a skew as well even better.

The lathe is a great piece of equipment for toy and model making
    Thanks Derek,

Yes agree - adds a total new dimension to how you can go about doing things.

Thanks for comments

Keith

Hi all,

The Melbourne Working With Wood Exhibition was great. Wish I had more money so I could buy some of the excellent equipment that was on show. It was really good to meet up with Dave TTC at the Woodwork Forums Stand.

Recommend any locals attend

Regards

Keith

Hi guys,

Three days since I worked on my loco. Bit of withdrawal symptoms coming on.

Been working on the side tanks and saddle section of the loco. I have made up the internal part of the side tanks out of pine and MDF. I had to get the curved section of the saddle section over the top of the boiler. To do this I laminated 2 pieces of 70 X 35 pine and let it dry for 3 days. I then turned and sanded on the good old woodlathe. I then made up a jig and cut in half with the bandsaw. The I cut that into quarter quadrants using the table saw. I made up support sections and glued the quadrants to give the curved section over the boiler.
    Pretty happy with the outcome so far.

Regards

Keith
    Watertank1.jpgWatertank2.jpgWatertank3.jpgWatertank4.jpg