Page 1 of 64 1234561151 ... LastLast

Default 4-6-2 Tank Locomotive - Circa 1910

Hi Guys,

As stated in my Lion Thread, the next build is a 1910 - 4-6-2 Tank Locomotive which ran on the suburban passenger lines around Melbourne, Victoria. It was withdrawn from service in 1960 after travelling 998,809 miles.

The beauty about building this locomotive is that it is only about 90klm up the road from where we live. If I need extra photos or measurements - it's only an hour and a bit up the road and entry cost to get into the museum.

The Lion was difficult because you could only see photos from the Liverpool Museum and the Lion Website in the UK. That being said - the guys in the UK have been great as well as a contact I have in Canada and also Kevin's expertise.

I have done some calculations and a little design work.

What I did at the museum was take photos along the length of the loco in 3 separate locations. All at the same distance away. I printed these off and cut and glued the locomotive "together". I also took photos of the front of the loco. The "aggregate" photo compared to measurements I took - works out to be 1/21 scale. I made various calculations to confirm this scale.
    My locomotive will be 3 times the size of my main photo (primary working sheet). I will get this laminated and see if a local Geelong firm can enlarge and laminate this copy to the actual size of the model loco. If not, I will just work off my original.

Therefore, my locomotive will be 1/7th scale. That will fit on top of my display area and won't "hit" the roof.

The length of the locomotive will be 1800mm. Height from rail to top of stack - 540mm. Width - 385mm. Main drive cylinders diameter - 90mm. Piston shaft dia - 15mm.

Below is a photo of the sheet I have compiled that will be the basis of the build - along with the numerous (heaps) of photos taken and dimensions measured. Thanks for your interest.

Looking forward to this

Regards

Keith

loco plan.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default All aboard!!!

Yes Keith, I've got a ticket on this train ride.....Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Yes Keith, I've got a ticket on this train ride.....Cheers, Peter
    I'm on board too.

Having the real thing near by is always a plus.

If you are likely to be a frequent visitor to the museum, it might be financially viable to become a member of the ARHS. Their archives may have additional information if you need it.
    I like how you are developing your working drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    I'm on board too.

Having the real thing near by is always a plus.

If you are likely to be a frequent visitor to the museum, it might be financially viable to become a member of the ARHS. Their archives may have additional information if you need it.
    I like how you are developing your working drawings.
    Thanks Kevin,

Good idea about joining ARHS. I will look into it. I can already see that I may need to take some more photos in the cabin. The good thing is this loco has all the gauges and controls and the cabin has been repainted. It is only one of a few that you are now allowed access to the cabin.
    Scaling up the photos will give me the perfect size of the components - I hope.

Regards

Keith

Hi Guys,

Pretty happy with today's outcome.

Thought I would share how I am going to plan and draw up and then assemble components. As stated yesterday - compilation photographs printed out.
    Today went into local photocopying and printing shop (Geelong Reprographics) they are excellent with any out of the ordinary photocopying and printing. I have used them on 3 of my builds so far. He scanned and then photoshopped my photos to get rid of any crease marks that were present because of my gluing of the photos. He then enlarged my loco X 3 times to bring it up to the 1/7th scale of the build. This was done in black and white (colour a bit expensive and no real need for it) This was laminated and is now the exact size of the intended loco to build. This will be my "datum" drawing or master. Some detail has been lost in enlargement ,but that is OK because the detail is in the other 250 photos I took.

Today I started drawing up some components. There will be a lot of drafting work in this model. Quite enjoyable.

Below is a photo of me holding up the locomotive reproduction, which is the exact size of the model I will be building.

Regards

Keith

Full size model.jpg

Smile

Please smile when you are having your picture taken. Look happy.
    Just practice for when you start fishing to show how big the one that got away was.
    That is a decent size model.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Thanks Kevin,

Good idea about joining ARHS. I will look into it. I can already see that I may need to take some more photos in the cabin. The good thing is this loco has all the gauges and controls and the cabin has been repainted. It is only one of a few that you are now allowed access to the cabin.
    Scaling up the photos will give me the perfect size of the components - I hope.

Regards

Keith
    The cab appears to be complete but I believe that many of the handles and the lubricator would not have been painted when the engine was in service. The lamp brackets are present for after dark operation when lamps are fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Please smile when you are having your picture taken. Look happy.
    Just practice for when you start fishing to show how big the one that got away was.
    That is a decent size model.
    Cathie reckons I am a grumpy old b#$%^&d Kevin. Normally don't smile in photos - will try How's that ?

Regards

Keith

Hi Guys,

Well the last 2 days have been working on calculations and design of the drive wheel assemblies and some of the components. Have drawn up the blanks I will be using for the wheel rims and inner hubs for drive wheels, front bogie and trailing wheels.
    If you are not really interested in how I am designing and drawing up components for the loco - just let me know and I will stop posting this info on how I am designing the gear.
    I have been using photos I took and then have to calculate the dimensions off the photo up to my master drawing I showed yesterday. The photo shown with my design work (below) needed the dimensions off the photo divided by .818 to bring it to the 1/7th scale I am working to. Each photo I use will need to be measured and calculated back to my master drawing for correct scale. Hope that makes sense. As I said - if you don't want this initial design info posted - just let me know and will stop posting it.

Tomorrow I might get out in shed making up leaf springs

Regards

Keith

Ist drawing calcs1.jpg1st drawings calcs2.jpg

I, for one, am quite happy to get a glimpse at this side of tings. I vote to keep it coming.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

It is all part of the project.

[QUOTE=Keith_1;1866249]

Below is a photo of me holding up the locomotive reproduction, which is the exact size of the model I will be building.

Regards

Keith

[/QUOTE

And NOW to the aircraft that have snuck a ride on the steam locos?
    • Pup (Camel?)
    • Spitfire ( I or V)?
    • Kittyhawk IV (P40E)
    • and......?

Fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb691 View Post
    I, for one, am quite happy to get a glimpse at this side of tings. I vote to keep it coming.
    Thanks Mate,

Appreciate that. It really get the brain going. Quite a few calculations need to be done (and redone). Didn't think maths formulas would come into it after retirement.
    Like the drawing - wish I had got into CAD !

Regards

Keith

[QUOTE=fletty;1866636]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post

Regards

Keith

[/QUOTE

And NOW to the aircraft that have snuck a ride on the steam locos?
    • Pup (Camel?)
    • Spitfire ( I or V)?
    • Kittyhawk IV (P40E)
    • and......?

Fletty
    Fletty,

Good pickup on the aircraft. Cathie said they would be safer up there until the new loco is finished.

Sopwith Camel
    Spitfire Mk 1
    P40 Warhawk
    and ..... well yes .. my first go at modelling off photos - about 15 years ago - pretty disgusting - it's supposed to be a Tiger Moth. My old man trained in them in Benalla before heading off overseas to WW2. That's why I built it. He was a Halifax and Martin Baltimore pilot. I do have plans for a twin engined Baltimore bomber, but locomotives are really my interest.

Built a Focker Triplane which I am pretty proud of.

Regards

Keith

Aircraft5.jpg

Keep them coming Keith as this is part of the process of the model build. You certainly have a talent for the drawing side of things as well as the model building.

Page 1 of 64 1234561151 ... LastLast