Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Solid body number 3

Ok, I'm learning an awful lot very quickly. Before I fell and broke a rib last week, I decided to start a new solid body. So far, I've made one out of my head, the last one was based on a Gibson Les Paul.
    This is my next one. Duesenberg Starplayer Special - something I've lusted after for quite a few years since seeing it being played at a gig somewhere.
    image.jpg
    It'll be a bit longer in the making as I'm going to use genuine Doosy hardware which is a bit expensive.
    I've made the neck - my first attempt at this - and it's turned out very well so far. I wanted to have a veneer of Wenge on the headstock so I spent a couple of pain filled hours fine adjusting the bandsaw after fitting the 32mm King Resaw blade. I was aiming for 1.00mm or less. No test run because I only had 1 piece suitable for a veneer. It was only 3.5mm thick and 100mm wide.

this is the result. Note the reading. It's the same, 0.77mm on all sides.
    image.jpg And this the piece laid out. image.jpg
    Okokok! That's just a brag but pretty cool I think. A wonderful machine and blade.

More to follow....I promise!
    cheers
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Watching.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Default WIP Update

image.jpg image.jpg
    Thought it was time to try my hand a making a neck. The ones I've been buying are pretty rough for the money. Mahogany with the headstock veneered with Wenge. I have a Liogier Luthiers rasp which was an eye-popper in its ability to remove excess wood and shape it quickly. Well worth the money. I built a jig to route the channel for the truss rod and it did the job perfectly.

image.jpg
    A mate gave me a nice piece of Ebony a while ago and I've been holding on to it for a suitable use so its become a fretboard. Once I recieve the truss rod and fit that I'll glue and shape the fretbord to the neck.

image.jpg
    I had some wide Queensland mahogany in stock which will be the body. It was only 28mm thick so I cut a 15mm slab on the bandsaw to glue to the other piece so I get a good workable thickness.

Coming along nicely so far.No lost fingers - which is a welcome bonus. Broken rib still bloody painful but!

to be continued...

Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Can you let us know more about "Queensland mahogany".
    is it the red mahogany noted here (http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Wood...s/red-mahogany), or something else?

I forget where it came from but the person i got it from said it was qland mahogany. I have my doubts. Its not red and not as dense as described in the link you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallFly View Post
    Can you let us know more about "Queensland mahogany".
    is it the red mahogany noted here (http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Wood...s/red-mahogany), or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand View Post
    I forget where it came from but the person i got it from said it was qland mahogany. I have my doubts. Its not red and not as dense as described in the link you posted.

Hi, . . sorry to but in , but my one big thought right here, was this - given that you DOnT know what type of timber it is that you have at hand, and are now planning to make the body from . . . .
    May I suggest you think twice on that decision?

I mean , I dont want to disturb THE MONSTER that is "the "Electric guitar tone origin " argument . . (please God, no!!)

But Qld Mahogasny (or whatever it is) is most likely better suited to other things , as would some of our other lively tonewoods be better off replacing the Mahogany.
    As everyone knows . . Mahogasny , Rosewood , Maple . . these species dont exist here. . although their names are thrown around a lot to confuse me.
    You may have your heart set on the Qld Mahog, in which case , go for it , and can we hear it please when finished ?
    If not ,. . then Silver wattle , Tas Blackwood , Sassafras, Myrtle , Qld Maple (and many others in Aust) , . . all fine tonewoods.
    Pretty much anything here that has the word Acacia at the end will get results varying from ok to brilliant ,depending
    Hell, I have a theory that even Oregon is great tonewood . . . . it rings and taps nicely (maybe for a nylon string . . being softer)

Paul Reed Smith says that its not so much the tonewoods transferring sounds, its more a case of the non-tonewoods have characteristics that get in then way of sound transfer and radiation . .
    and this is a good way of seeing it.
    Me? . . I probably would give the Mahogany a wide berth, but if you decide to build it , please broaden our minds with a demo, so we (me) can be educated from your experience.
    all the best with it .
    Last edited by Slapfest; 5th April 2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo