Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default WANTED: Record 778 rebate plane

Anybody have a spare or unused 778 kicking around that really isn't getting used that they would consider selling? Cosmetic condition is unimportant but it must have all the parts and be undamaged.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Chief Tiff,
    Tool exchange at Caloundra has some. It depends how much you want to fork out for one.
    Regards,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy69 View Post
    Hi Chief Tiff,
    Tool exchange at Caloundra has some. It depends how much you want to fork out for one.
    Regards,
    Ross
    Way too expensive, I can buy a band new Record Irwin for the same price. I have my nephew flying out from the UK in a few weeks and he can bring one out for me, it'll only cost me $180 which is the same as they are asking in Caloundra plus I don't have shipping costs to think about.

Thanks Ross for looking but if I buy 2nd hand I want to pay 2nd hand prices!

New Irwin planes are a gamble. The odds are very high that the new plane you purchase will not be a patch on a vintage Record #778.

A new Veritas Skew Rabbet plane is $375 from Carba-tec. I would argue that a vintage Record #778 in good condition is a bargain at $180. Sometimes you are paying for olde world quality.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Default Found one!

I don't know whether this would be considered vintage but I've now bought one on the UK E-Bay site. I've dated it as being from between 1979 (copyright date on the instructions) and 1985 as the outer box sleeve still has the name "Record-Ridgeway Tools Ltd". The inner box is the 1970's-80's blue and white cardboard item.

Never been used; still with its protective paper slip on the blade, the fence rods taped to the fence and the depth gauge in a paper bag.

Thanks for the tips Ross and Derek; now I just have to wait til the end of June for my nephew to bring it out from Blighty.

Oops, sorry - I deleted a post simply because the planes were ploughs and not rebate planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    Oops, sorry - I deleted a post simply because the planes were ploughs and not rebate planes.
    Too late, I've seen what you accidentally posted! Anyway I do enjoy visiting Alf's website now and again.

Coincidentally I do own an almost unused 44 as well; the proper one not the 44C.

I'm currently in my donga using my Kobo tablet on the world's most intermittent WiFi, tomorrow when I'm back at my desk I'll try to upload the EBay pictures for your appreciation/derision/somewhere in between.

The #044 is an excellent plough.

Pity about Alf giving up totally on woodworking. She wrote so well. Not sure how long her site will be there, so read it while you can.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a good plane! I have a #778 as well.

I advise that you add a wood sub fence, such as the one on this Veritas ...

The reason is that your hands will be very close to the blade because one should push laterally alongside it, like so ..

.. and if you do not add the sub fence you run the risk of this ...

See: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...atePlanes.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Didn't know the Veritas came in both left and right hand?

I'm afraid I have to say it; one glaring eyesore on your bench though has to be that Thor hammer.

Everybody knows the modern Thor's aren't a patch on the older wooden handled ones