Default Mango dullness on end grain

Hi folks,

I have a few bits of mango which I'm planning to turn into pepper grinders. I'm made a few bottle stoppers out of it to figure out what finish I want to use, and it's coming up very nicely for the most part... However, I am getting occasional dull spots on end grain, which I can't figure out what to do with!

I haven't managed to get a good picture that shows the dull spot, but you can see it a on these:

as compared to this (there is a little dull spot on this piece as well but it's not in the photos):

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this? All these were sanded pretty finely and had EEE applied and then finished with one or two of shellawax/glow/turners wax/aussie oil (thank you ubeaut!).

Cheers,

Danny

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Could the timber still be abit wet, I have had camphor have dull spots due to it being wet also pine sometimes is still sappy affecting the application of finishes.
    not sure of the right way to fix it , I have left it sit for a week and re-applied finish where it took abit better.
    Turning round since 1992

Quite a few timbers absorb the finish. I often apply finish, leave overnight or longer, then apply finish again (and sometime again and again). Using a sanding sealer first also helps. Alternatively you could use another finish CA, Plastic Polish or lacquer etc. Given they are assembled already perhaps masking and then using a lacquer may be your only option.
    Neil

Thanks Chuck1, Neil. Good thoughts!

I think it's dry. I might try sanding sealer first next time I make something out of this stuff (the stoppers are just practice items anyway, they're good enough for my kitchen!). And try leaving it overnight - I tried multiple coats of a few different finishes, but maybe not enough time in between.

You could try BLO/CA finish regime

Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

I think Neil was on the right track here. Playing around with a salt shaker that has kind of gone wrong anyway, and it looks like I was just a bit too hasty with the finish on the other pieces - the wood definitely has patches of end grain where it absorbs way more than elsewhere (even compared to other sections of end grain). Seems like patience will be required.

This wood probably would be a good candidate for a CA finish, but I manage to stick my fingers together doing the simplest of tasks, so the whole process scares me a bit!

Cheers,

Danny

Wear food handling gloves.

Don't ask me how I know that trick
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Wear food handling gloves.

Don't ask me how I know that trick
    Nitrile gloves work well. It is easy to get pin holes in latex and food handling gloves but they are far better than no gloves. Always keep some "nail polish remover" - acetone handy & in reach when using CA glues as a finish - wear a face shield & have good ventilation. Seems obvious but many turners have managed to find themselves in a little spot of bother.

With the patchy spots on Mango it is often the first signs of decay or spalting that causes the dull spots. Can also be the crazy compression figure in the wood. Use a good sanding sealer or shellac to seal the timber before moving to the actual finishing product.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever